HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 6:53 PM

^Has Nika Soon-Shiong editorial stance written all over it. This is part of why LA Times continues to falter... too one-sided with stories such as this one.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 11:31 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisheye View Post
I also read this yesterday. Bonkers level stupid article. Lamenting the loss of the SFH character of a neighborhood, that they themselves mention, is literally in the shadow of the largest private employer in the city of LA (USC). Yes, why don't we pick this place to "maintain character" by severely limiting density, while people who work at the university drive in from all over the damn place! (to say nothing of the students). Literally hurts the brain...
USC is actually the largest private employer in all of Los Angeles County, and that is saying something.

I did some Google mapping of the areas in question in the article, and although the imagery isn't completely up to date, you can already see the pattern: a lot of three- and four-story infill buildings between the older bungalows.

And honestly, this is how I have always imagined how LA would eventually transform itself into a more traditional dense, pedestrian- and transit-oriented metropolis: increasing densities parcel by parcel, year after year, decade over decade. It is less disruptive than tearing down entire blocks all at once to then build mega-projects, and it allows for "missing middle" residential typologies. Unlike the writer, I have great hope for this kind of redevelopment and what it will mean for the city in the long run.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 1:45 AM
Paramoderator

IMO the best way to increase density in Los Angeles would be preserve the single family and historic neighborhoods and radically increase density along the commercial corridors and nodes. I see no reason why Pico, for example, can't be lined with 40 story high rises, and the surrounding lower density neighborhoods can remain untouched.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
IMO the best way to increase density in Los Angeles would be preserve the single family and historic neighborhoods and radically increase density along the commercial corridors and nodes. I see no reason why Pico, for example, can't be lined with 40 story high rises, and the surrounding lower density neighborhoods can remain untouched.
So you would vote for a law that prevented single family home owners in areas that you select from developing duplexes and other multi-family properties on their land?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
I totally agree. People act if there aren’t a plethora of streets/lots that can be developed without touching historic areas. I think it would give LA even more character and a vibe.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 5:49 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

I support 40-story corridors on the boulevards. I also support four-story infill on narrow lots near major employment and education nodes like the USC campus. I think we need both approaches--and even more--to move this city forward. Some people want a more finely-grained cityscape filled with missing-middle housing typologies, and others want and can afford the pricey, glitzy mega-developments. We should provide copious quantities of both types of housing in LA.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
I support 40-story corridors on the boulevards. I also support four-story infill on narrow lots near major employment and education nodes like the USC campus. I think we need both approaches--and even more--to move this city forward. Some people want a more finely-grained cityscape filled with missing-middle housing typologies, and others want and can afford the pricey, glitzy mega-developments. We should provide copious quantities of both types of housing in LA.
Agreed

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 12:07 AM

Quote:
LA City Council halts Dodger Stadium gondola project for further study

nbclosangeles.com

The Los Angeles City Council on Friday approved a motion to halt approvals for a gondola project that would provide access to Dodger Stadium until further studies can be conducted on its potential impacts. Council members voted 11-2 in support of the motion introduced by Councilwoman Eunisses Hernandez, who represents the First District, where the gondola would be located. As part of the action, council members approved $500,000 for the Los Angeles Department of Transportation to hire a consultant to conduct assessments.

Approximately $50,000 would come from a Street Reserve Fund and the remaining $450,000 from the city's General Fund -- money that was already designated for the First District.

Hernandez, who opposed the project, is calling on the LADOT to examine policies and procedures at other stadiums and high-capacity venues throughout the region, such as the Rose Bowl, Hollywood Bowl, SoFi Stadium, BMO Stadium and the Coliseum with an eye on possibly finding alternatives to consider alongside the gondola. Prior to the vote, Hernandez said the project -- known as the Los Angeles Aerial Rapid Transit Project -- would travel 1.2 miles over the homes, businesses and historic resources in the communities of Chinatown, Echo Park, Solana Canyon, Elysian Valley, Angelino Heights and Lincoln Heights.

"This motion is born out of the overwhelming number of concerns that my constituents have raised about this proposal," Hernandez said. "Anyone who has attended a Dodgers game knows that traffic, parking and accessibility are serious issues around the stadium, and many of my constituents in Solano Canyon, Elysian Park and Echo Park bear the brunt of those issues," she added.

She said there has not been a "comprehensive and community-driven study" of Dodger Stadium traffic and access since 1990.

"We are grateful the motion was clarified to ensure the project will continue processing," Nathan Click, spokesman for Zero Emission Transit, the non-profit organization in charge of the gondola project, said in a statement. City agencies have been diligently involved from day one ensuring the project meets city standards, and we look forward to that continued collaboration as the project moves forward."

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 12:50 AM

"This motion is born out of the overwhelming number of concerns that my constituents have raised about this proposal," Hernandez said. "Anyone who has attended a Dodgers game knows that traffic, parking and accessibility are serious issues around the stadium, and many of my constituents in Solano Canyon, Elysian Park and Echo Park bear the brunt of those issues," she added."

For fuck's sake! So, let's halt something that will improve accessibility, reduce traffic, and reduce the amount of vehicles and demand for parking.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
"This motion is born out of the overwhelming number of concerns that my constituents have raised about this proposal," Hernandez said. "Anyone who has attended a Dodgers game knows that traffic, parking and accessibility are serious issues around the stadium, and many of my constituents in Solano Canyon, Elysian Park and Echo Park bear the brunt of those issues," she added."

For fuck's sake! So, let's halt something that will improve accessibility, reduce traffic, and reduce the amount of vehicles and demand for parking.

These idiots on the city council are 1 step up above a loser high school drop out. They have no business nor urban planning training. They lead with their emotions and political views.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post

Hernandez is incredibly dumb so this is exactly what i expect from her

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:18 PM
them bones

Alloy is looking great. This is from Saturday...

Untitled by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:17 PM

^That's a unique angle! Did you get that from the 101?

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:05 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

Cool shot, Plinko! Alloy really stands out, in a good way.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:49 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

The Broad announces massive expansion that will increase gallery space by 70%

Exterior rendering of the future Broad expansion from Hope Street. The 55,000-square-foot addition will increase gallery space by 70%. (Courtesy of the Broad / Diller Scofidio + Renfro)

An exterior rendering of the expanded Broad. (Courtesy of the Broad / Diller Scofidio + Renfro)

Jessica Gelt
Los Angeles Times
March 27, 2024

The Broad on Wednesday announced a $100-million building expansion that will increase gallery space at one of Los Angeles’ most popular museums by 70%. The sweeping plans could provide a critical boost to downtown L.A., which has seen sluggish recovery since the pandemic and the rise of remote work left the city’s core a shell of what it had once been.

The 55,000-square-foot addition is designed by the New York-based firm Diller Scofidio + Renfro, which designed the original museum — built at a cost of $140 million. It will rise directly behind the existing structure and is expected to break ground in early 2025, with completion anticipated in advance of the 2028 Summer Olympics.

Joanne Heyler, founding director and president of the Broad, said in an interview that the plan has been in the works since late 2022 after it became clear that the Broad had exceeded its expected visitor projections. When the Broad opened in 2015, the museum anticipated hosting approximately 250,000 visitors a year, Heyler said, and by last year more than 900,000 people were walking through the doors annually. To date, more than 5.5 million guests have seen the art inside the building.
. . . .

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:22 PM

Wow. That’s amazing news! I’ve noticed when ever I’m up there that there could be more restaurants because of the foot traffic in that area. But rarely am I over there at night. I’ll have to check it out soon and see what the area is like at night.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:48 PM

Wow, that's incredible news. Not only does it replace underutilized land with quality museum space, but it will increase gallery space by 70%! Will be right next to Bunker Hill Station.

Old Posted Today, 1:47 AM

^ whoa! meanwhile, other art in the news for dtla:

Video Link

Old Posted Today, 1:55 AM
Paramoderator

Great news about the Broad. I couldn't help thinking how small and minor the museum felt when I was there last.

Old Posted Today, 6:50 AM

We could say The Broad is......broadening?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations