HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 6:53 PM

Anyone have any update on JDL's plans for the Moody sites? Having a hard time believing we'll see anything with significant height west of Wells...or even on it. I want to have high hopes, but I'm cautiously pessimistic

It'd be great to see some height so that skyline north of Chicago and west of LaSalle doesn't just fall off. Should absolutely be some height on Wells and Orleans. Orleans has the bones to be framed quite nicely.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Anyone have any update on JDL's plans for the Moody sites? Having a hard time believing we'll see anything with significant height west of Wells...or even on it. I want to have high hopes, but I'm cautiously pessimistic

It'd be great to see some height so that skyline north of Chicago and west of LaSalle doesn't just fall off. Should absolutely be some height on Wells and Orleans. Orleans has the bones to be framed quite nicely.
Speak of the devil, the city announced today that they're hosting a community engagement with JDL about North Union. They're planning "2,680 residential units, 30,000 square feet of commercial space and approximately 1.3 acres of public open space". High-rises are still the plan, with some mid- and low-rises. More info here: https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/dept...rth-union.html

JDL mentioned last month that neighbors were surprisingly receptive of the plan, even as the tallest building would be 50-stories, so I'm cautiously optimistic

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Speak of the devil, the city announced today that they're hosting a community engagement with JDL about North Union. They're planning "2,680 residential units, 30,000 square feet of commercial space and approximately 1.3 acres of public open space". High-rises are still the plan, with some mid- and low-rises. More info here: https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/dept...rth-union.html

JDL mentioned last month that neighbors were surprisingly receptive of the plan, even as the tallest building would be 50-stories, so I'm cautiously optimistic

I don't care one way or the other. This will likely be nothing more than a tall bedroom community. I expect it to be a carbon copy of what Onni is doing up the street. That stretch of Wells will never amount to be more than an access road (and Onni confirmed as much with their treatment of it).

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 8:53 PM

November 12th, 6 p.m

Mark your calendars

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 9:32 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
I don't care one way or the other. This will likely be nothing more than a tall bedroom community. I expect it to be a carbon copy of what Onni is doing up the street. That stretch of Wells will never amount to be more than an access road (and Onni confirmed as much with their treatment of it).
Well, I'd recommend not assuming it will be the same, considering that it's not just a different company/developer, but also the fact that this is a PD and not individual buildings done piecemeal by separate developers. The need to comment or make judgement on something without having seen it first is a bit baffling to me. To each their own, I guess.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 9:56 PM

It’s not THAT bad, onni put retail down wells and an aldi isn’t the worst.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy View Post
It’s not THAT bad, onni put retail down wells and an aldi isn’t the worst.
If I remember correctly, it was supposed to be a Treasure Island prior to the company going bankrupt.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 12:24 AM

Moody's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...=hero-readmore

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 12:48 AM
TL;DR

Well they have plenty of land. Ideally they would masterplan a "focal point" in the development where they could build a few restaurant sites. If they're willing to get creative with the streets, maybe they could do a little pocket park/plaza or boulevard.

I think the only "larger" development to go through the new DPD process (under Commissioner Cox instead of Reifman) is LG's project at 1143 W Lake, but the planning documents for that are pretty encouraging. Lots of attention paid to pedestrian connections, small and large scale public space, activation, etc. Cox himself weighed in on one of my projects, a small restaurant buildout, so he's got his fingers in everything - I think he's trying to shape things for the better.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 1:10 AM

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 1:34 AM

It's JDL so that might actually be what we end up getting. They haven't swayed too much from original renderings in their past projects. That being said this is also way bigger than anything they've ever done before.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 1:37 AM

Well that looks nice.

Still a lot of parking lots and open space near Cabrini Green to turn this area in a more dense, integrated neighborhood.

Build another L stop at Division.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
Well that looks nice.

Still a lot of parking lots and open space near Cabrini Green to turn this area in a more dense, integrated neighborhood.

Build another L stop at Division.
The site plan listed on the city's website shows that a future Division stop is in the works

https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/dept...rth-union.html

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 2:01 AM
The City

These are placeholder designs but at least the streetgrid is already there, so perhaps not much infrastructure construction will be needed.

I like that they will keep a streetwall on Wells.

I personally would rather see the taller towers on the south of the site. But I guess they want to preserve maximal views (and hence $$) by putting taller towers on the north

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Well, I'd recommend not assuming it will be the same, considering that it's not just a different company/developer, but also the fact that this is a PD and not individual buildings done piecemeal by separate developers. The need to comment or make judgement on something without having seen it first is a bit baffling to me. To each their own, I guess.
I’d love to be wrong, believe me.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fvn View Post
It's JDL so that might actually be what we end up getting. They haven't swayed too much from original renderings in their past projects. That being said this is also way bigger than anything they've ever done before.
It is also over a significantly longer time period than they have done before. I think they will be able to pull it off just fine.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 3:02 AM

Nm

Last edited by OhioGuy; Oct 27, 2020 at 3:03 AM. Reason: post removed

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 3:15 AM
TL;DR

Interesting they’re not punching Franklin through to Oak, Oak will be an important street linking to North/Clybourn area and Lake Shore Drive whenever they rebuild the block through Cabrini site.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 6:24 AM

BVictor1 made a North Union thread, let's move the discussion there: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=244410

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 1:59 PM

historical

People seem to "love" their historic districts...

https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/10...n-in-december/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development