HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 11:42 PM

12-15-2015

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 12:15 AM
World Traveler

That's a lot of parking.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2015, 12:56 AM

Has anyone heard if the Google lease here is going to coincide with termination of leases at existing offices (aka local relocation mostly), or if there's going to be a lot of net-new/out-of-state workers moving here?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2015, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jngreenlee View Post
Has anyone heard if the Google lease here is going to coincide with termination of leases at existing offices (aka local relocation mostly), or if there's going to be a lot of net-new/out-of-state workers moving here?
A friend and former googler said it will be mostly staffed by members of their sales team. Whether that's what's at current office I can't say.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2015, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jngreenlee View Post
The commercial real estate broker who did the deal said it was an expansion of their current Austin locations, meaning new workers. However, Google also has an expansion option in the building (the ability to add more floors to their lease at the same rental terms before their lease starts in early 2017) and they supposedly sent the floorplans to their other Austin offices in Northwest Austin to see if any of those groups wanted to move downtown. I don't know if any of those groups are going to relocate, but they all have leases in Northwest office buildings that don't expire for years - longer than 2017.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 1:01 AM

1-13-16

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 2:34 AM
Honored Member

This is one of the most deliciously urban photos I've seen of dt Austin, very nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
1-13-16

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 3:26 AM
World Traveler

Great photos, corvairkeith!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 9:10 AM
Meh

Nice. This is a fairly chunky building actually.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 9:21 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
1-13-16

I could be wrong on placement, but that gap showing the hills wouldn't be visible once the Austin Music Hall site (Third & Shoal, right?) gets built.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I could be wrong on placement, but that gap showing the hills wouldn't be visible once the Austin Music Hall site (Third & Shoal, right?) gets built.
It looks to me that it will likely block some of the view of the hills, but it's hard to tell if it will block all of it. There could end up being a sliver left between it and the AMLI.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 8:37 PM

The garage levels are just about topped off...finally..

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 10:09 PM
World Traveler

That's a tall garage.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 1:47 AM
Meh

Looking at that photo this one will have good visibility from the boardwalk. And Northshore looks great there. It's too bad that view will go away.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 4:31 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
That's a tall garage.
It's a tall garage without a circular exit ramp. You have to drive the entire length of the thing back and forth over and over again to get out. It will take forever to exit from the top floor. Yikes!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2016, 5:09 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
It's a tall garage without a circular exit ramp. You have to drive the entire length of the thing back and forth over and over again to get out. It will take forever to exit from the top floor. Yikes!
I'm devising a plan to set up a little business about halfway up the garage. It will offer a variety of anxiety-relief modalities, ranging from clonazepam injections to massage, biofeedback, and talk therapy, all accompanied by a DJ mixing ambient chillout music. Anyone who has the slightest inclination toward panic attacks will be willing to part with half their paycheck for some quick relief.

These parking structures are an embarrassment to the city. I don't think we can call ourselves "world class" when half of downtown is devoted to the moving and parking of private automobiles. We're planning our way to ever-increasing traffic chaos. And what will become of these monstrosities when we're no longer commuting by private auto? I hope a few floors can be repurposed, otherwise it's just a colossal waste of money, materials, space, and missed opportunities.

Excessive Parking Causes More Driving!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2016, 6:00 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Personally, if there isn't parking, traffic goes down by 1 car. Mine. I generally won't go somewhere if I can't find parking.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2016, 7:22 AM
World Traveler

^ Unfortunately a lot of other folks agree with this. I don't think it's necessarily any issue for some people to have this preference, but it's simply not sustainable for everyone in the long run.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2016, 12:12 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
^ Unfortunately a lot of other folks agree with this. I don't think it's necessarily any issue for some people to have this preference, but it's simply not sustainable for everyone in the long run.
Can you elucidate? How is it "not sustainable" for everyone to avoid driving to places where they can't park?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2016, 12:31 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
Can you elucidate? How is it "not sustainable" for everyone to avoid driving to places where they can't park?
I think my wording was confusing on a second reading. My point is that if developments continue with massive parking garages and the mentality of "I won't go there if I can't find a parking space" continues, then it's not sustainable for a city in the long-run. Reason being: there's only so much land. While many argue that this isn't a huge issue in Texas as opposed to NYC or Singapore, I still don't think it's the best use of the land that we do have. Just because land exists doesn't mean it should all be paved over, hence denser development in some cases is actually better. (preaching to the choir here)

What IS sustainable is folks using alternative modes of transportation...or a combination of lots of different modes (some of which may be car, but not all should be).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin