HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 8:19 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Is It OK to Shoot Down Your Neighbor's Drone?

Quote:
Before you decide to shoot that drone out of your backyard, there are a few important things you need to know.

First of all, damaging any flying robot is a federal crime. It doesn’t matter if it’s crashing your pool party or watching you in your skivvies through the skylight in your master bath.

“In my ​legal opinion,” says Peter Sachs, a Connecticut attorney and publisher of Drone Law Journal, “it is never okay to shoot at a drone, shoot down a drone​,​ or otherwise damage, destroy​ or disable ​a drone, ​or attempt to ​do so. ​Doing so is a federal crime.​”

Here’s the thing. You might view a drone as many things: Creepy. Loud. Annoying. Scary. A sophisticated robot. A really cool toy. Target practice.

But in the eyes of the law, a drone is a full-fledged aircraft, and deserves the same kind of respect. Here’s what federal law (18 USC § 32) has to say:

(a) Whoever willfully—

(1) sets fire to, damages, destroys, disables, or wrecks any aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States or any civil aircraft used, operated, or employed in interstate, overseas, or foreign air commerce;

...shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years or both.
What does that mean for you? If you attempt to gun down a flying robot, you could face those two decades in the slammer, and/or a fine of up to a quarter of a million dollars. So, legally speaking, shooting a drone could be the same as trying to damage a chopper or a 747. “Aircraft” is a pretty sweeping definition, it turns out, and it could work in drones’ favor.
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 11:39 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

I take it I have your vote.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 2:34 AM

this is why I said threads should not be created for a small project. It directs people's attention to something that doesn't even have enough sustenance to drive 3 posts and now it's off topic. It always happens like this

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 3:13 AM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

The post above is why I need fake mod powers. If I'm elected fake mod, I would turn these killjoy posts turn into gifs of Manning touchdown passes so fast, you'd be amazed. #makethemountainbestgreatagain

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 4:01 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
this is why I said threads should not be created for a small project. It directs people's attention to something that doesn't even have enough sustenance to drive 3 posts and now it's off topic. It always happens like this
So? Don't read them. It's a big wide Internet. Not all of us worship at at the Church of Stay the Hell on the Topic [that is important to forumer _______ ].

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 4:42 AM
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.

I'll be selling "seventwenty for skyscraperpage moderator 2016" t-shirts starting Monday. Find me behind the SLC 200 S. Carl's Jr.

Salt Lake City throughout 2015 in the My City Photos Forum >>>http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=215244

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 5:53 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Real t-shirts for a fake mod. Order me two!

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 8:24 AM

Quote:
Booooooo!

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 8:05 PM

Why not post in the chit chat thread? You're actively supporting lower quality content on the forum? Wow

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 8:17 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Wondering about quality of poasting? On the Intarbutts? Man this guy's troll game is ON POINT.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 8:33 PM
Exurb Enjoyer

Quote:
Why not post in the chit chat thread? You're actively supporting lower quality content on the forum? Wow
This conversation has grown organically like pre war cities in the United States; stop trying to Robert Moses all our fun away! I'm tired of all the zoning all over conversations on SSP!

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventwenty View Post
Wondering about quality of poasting? On the Intarbutts? Man this guy's troll game is ON POINT.
Intarbutts? Are you 7?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
This conversation has grown organically like pre war cities in the United States; stop trying to Robert Moses all our fun away! I'm tired of all the zoning all over conversations on SSP!
I'm just expressing my draconian thoughts in the form of an Internet message board

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 9:10 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Somebody's watched too much Newsroom. Then again, perhaps we should all just nominate seventwenty for a Pulitzer?

There is no quality content to be posted. Everything worth saying has been said. Another big 5-story rental project isn't worth discussing. Nothing is changing. Debating development in Denver is like debating that big stone ball rolling toward Indiana Jones. It's moving and moving fast... but holy shit. Ain't nothing going to change what it does. And by the way, if you're in its path, it might kill you.

So instead, we focus on getting our fake mod a fake prize for encouraging fake content about a fake city.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 11:26 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

We could discuss bike infrastructure. But on this forum? Lol.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 11:47 PM
Exurb Enjoyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysNoiz View Post
I'll be selling "seventwenty for skyscraperpage moderator 2016" t-shirts starting Monday. Find me behind the SLC 200 S. Carl's Jr.

Where are you! I've been standing here waiting. I had to start panhandling so I wouldn't look suspicious...

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 11:52 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
[img]Where are you! I've been standing here waiting. I had to start panhandling so I wouldn't look suspicious...
I thought one of the panhandlers looked a little too clean...

But I can't buy a shirt as I won't support a man for moderator who doesn't have a full head of hair and an impressive beard. Sorry, seventwenty.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 11:59 PM
Denver

Quote:
Omg please bitch a little bit more

Or better yet, just ignore this thread on focus on the little development you have occuring in SLC

Old Posted Sep 13, 2015, 12:13 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottk View Post
Omg please bitch a little bit more

Or better yet, just ignore this thread on focus on the little development you have occuring in SLC
Hey, we've all got big plans for that Carl's Jr site! You'll see.

Shit's gonna be like lower manhatten in a couple years.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2015, 1:19 AM
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.

Now on the printing press! Available soon $24.99 each!

Salt Lake City throughout 2015 in the My City Photos Forum >>>http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=215244

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West