HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 5:26 PM

Being "World Renowned" deserves a post

"World-Renowned Denver Rehabilitation Hospital Gets a Major Renovation"
02/24/2015 By Jennifer Seward, ENR Mountain States

Quote:
Strict noise, vibration and communication protocols are required during construction at this world-renowned rehab hospital for spinal cord and traumatic brain injuries
Images by Cooperthwaite Photography + Productions via ENR
Quote:
GE Johnson Construction Co. ... broke ground ... on a $66-million vertical addition to Craig's west building and a four-level, horizontal renovation of 84,000 sq ft. More than 120,000 sq ft is undergoing a complete renovation...
ENR Mountain States does their typical in-depth, from the construction side article HERE.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 6:26 PM

Dueling Front Range Cities
Sorry Longmont; Oh so close, Broomfield; Hello Westminster

Colorado Proud
DigitalGlobe, a Colorado born and bred young growing company was recently featured by Greg Avery in the DBJ HERE:
Quote:
Satellite imagery company DigitalGlobe Inc. has now opened full access to super-detailed images taken by the Colorado-build WorldView-3 satellite.
Colorado, of course, rocks the aerospace space.
Quote:
The Longmont-based company company's (NYSE: DGI) WorldView-3 launched last August. It was built by Ball Aerospace & Technologies Corp. in Boulder.
As a fledgling new company DigitalGlobe's roots were planted in Longmont. With growth came the need for more and better space. DigitalGlobe decided to move to Broomfield. That's where the story became interesting as also covered by Greg Avery HERE.

"DigitalGlobe HQ move: Never mind, Broomfield. Hello, Westminster"
Quote:
Longmont-based satellite imaging company DigitalGlobe Inc. has changed its mind... It now plans to move in 2015 to a building at 1300 W. 120th Ave. in Westminster that's now home to Avaya, and not move to Broomfield as originally planned.

DigitalGlobe announced its first headquarters decision in September. That prompted the owner of the Westminster building to make an unsolicited offer to DigitalGlobe, which the company decided would be a better fit, DigitalGlobe said Wednesday.

The Avaya building has much of the infrastructure and security that DigitalGlobe needs already in place, which means the relocation will require less capital investment, the company said.
It's always nice to hear about the success of a young growing Colorado company designed for the next generation. From the first linked article above:
Quote:
The U.S. Department of Commerce last spring relaxed a longstanding national security restriction on how detailed the images could be. The standard dropped from a half-meter resolution to 30 centimeters, which the company says allows it to sell images that are five time clearer than its competitors.

DigitalGlobe sells satellite images and data for commercial use to the likes of Google, for maps, and developers for real estate location scouting, and to energy and mining companies.

Its biggest business is selling non-classified images to U.S. government agencies needing images that aren't classified as top secret and can be shared with foreign governments, humanitarian aid groups and others.
Feel free to drop by https://www.digitalglobe.com/

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 1:22 AM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 4:20 AM

According to Glendale 180 on Facebook the project is still moving forward and a ground breaking date is to be announced soon.

I am sure renderings will be totally different as this calls for the demolition of the Staybridge hotel which just renovated...

I expect a major tone down of the project.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 9:34 AM

This isn't something you put in your pipe and smoke.

"Colorado crude oil getting new pipeline to market"
Mar 2, 2015, 1:02pm MST by Cathy Proctor, Reporter - Denver Business Journal
Quote:
Two major midstream energy companies ... are teaming up to build, own and operate a 550-mile crude oil pipeline to ship oil from Colorado's Denver-Julesburg Basin to storage facilities in Cushing, Oklahoma, the nation's central storage hub for oil
I still would contend that the state should provide incentives to build a new whiz-bang refinery in Weld County. Then shut down the Commerce City refinery. Be good feeling to have Colorado crude stay in and serve the needs of Colorado citizens.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 6:43 AM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Well this is awkward.

Littleton voters pass measure restricting city's urban renewal powers

Quote:
Littleton will need to go to the voters before employing commonly used urban renewal tactics, like tax increment financing or eminent domain, according to special election results released late Tuesday.

. . .

Question 300 amends Littleton's charter to require voter approval before the city lures developers with deals that share the cost of infrastructure improvements, often through the issuance of bonds, in a public-private arrangement.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 7:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventwenty View Post
Bummer. From the linked article:
Quote:
By having every urban renewal decision go before voters, they argued, developers will eventually just skip over Littleton and go elsewhere with their projects so as not to get entangled in expensive elections.
Not totally unworkable but certainly unnecessary. I guess the city could come up with a concept and solicit potential development interest, take that to voters for consent and if approved they could proceed with a request for specific proposals. It's a bit twisted though that's for sure and a lot of needless expense.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 4:43 PM
cities|transit|croissants

This is a major problem with small suburban jurisdictions everywhere. Generally speaking, the smaller the city, the more powerful its entrenched NIMBY lobby. After all, if you're a town politician and pissing off 1 neighborhood is enough to turn an election, then by definition there can be no vision that requires compromise from anyone. It seems like you need at least 200,000 people in a jurisdiction before overall vision starts to trump parochialism, and something more like 600-800k before it becomes de rigueur.

You can go too far with regionalism, sure, but hyper-local has problems too, especially for suburbs. I tend to think counties (not cities) are the ideal scale for suburban governance.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 2:10 AM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

I think my favorite thing about this thread so far is Cirrus quoting me with that tagline.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 2:29 AM

This is Littleton, not Largerton! Too bad they're shooting themselves in the foot.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 5:30 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

It's just one tool and eminent domain they've lost, they can still make it work. There's enough money and demand in Littleton, the price points can justify the private sector doing the land acquisition, and other financing tools can do the rest.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 7:15 AM
Denver

Downtown Littleton could be an awesome urban enclave of denver, but too many Nimbys.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 7:29 PM

Windsor getting new manufacturing facilities

"Texas manufacturer bringing 150 jobs to Colorado"
Mar 11, 2015, Staff Denver Business Journal
Quote:
The Coloradoan reports Crall Products, of Pampa, Texas, paid $1.29 million for 8.2 acres in the Great Western Industrial Park and plans to build two 46,000-square-foot manufacturing facilities there. The company makes filtration equipment for the oilfield and petrochemical industries.

The buildings are still in the planning stages but are expected to open in 2016.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 6:43 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 3:50 AM

I've got Front Range News! It's about the pipes, blue pipes.

Courtesy: Colorado Springs Utilities

"New water supply for Colorado Springs and neighbors is getting closer"
Mar 18, 2015 - Cathy Proctor - Denver Business Journal
Quote:
One of the biggest water projects in the western U.S. will hit a major milestone this month, when the last piece of 50 miles of pipe is laid for the Southern Delivery System, the $841 million project to bring new water supplies to Colorado Springs and nearby communities.

More than 7,000 sections of blue-colored, welded, steel pipe 50 feet long and most of it 66 inches in diameter were installed on the project during the last 3 1/2 years of construction.

The project includes 50 miles of pipeline, three pump stations and a water treatment plant. It will deliver water from the Pueblo Reservoir to Colorado Springs, Fountain, Security and Pueblo West

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 5:09 AM

Guess I shouldn't overlook Longmont Colorado.

"University of Colorado Health plans $125 million hospital in Longmont"
Mar 18, 2015 by Ed Sealover, Denver Business Journal
Quote:
They have scheduled a ground-breaking for later this year, with a projected opening date of late 2016 or early 2017.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 4:01 AM

Just a quickie from this article:
Quote:
Aging system infrastructure is one major driver of pipeline work as networks developed decades ago do not match today's needs. For instance, who knew until recently that western North Dakota or the Denver-Julesburg Basin in northeastern Colorado would emerge as Kuwait-like centers of oil, gas and NGL production and would require a major pipeline network build-out?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 9:51 PM
Arachnid Wrangler

Foco update

Foco Update

A quick update on a couple of downtown Fort Collins developments.

Block One is all wrapped up and looking amazing. Here are a couple pictures from December when the building was just reaching the finish line.

The new utilities administration building should be breaking ground soon. Here are some updated renderings of the building's 327th, and hopefully final design.

Old Town Flats are nearing completion. This building adds some good density next to the downtown transit center.

Another development on its umpteenth design, 221 east mountain. I'm liking this one. Coupled with the Mitchell block this end of downtown is starting to look pretty damn good.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 11:10 PM

I loves Block One.

The renderings look sweet too. Keep us updated.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 3:10 AM
cities|transit|croissants

That's funny because I think Block One looks OK-but-nothing-special, while I think 221 East Mountain looks great.

I like them both, but I'm more impressed by contemporary ornament than sloping rooflines.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West