HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 5:37 AM
Moran supreme

Lane way homes

I hope I'm using the correct terminology in lane way homes, small secondary homes located facing a lane/alley. Have they really taken off in Calgary? I know of one in my community of Highwood, very well done in my opinion and I've seen some in Mount Pleasant and Bridgeland but if they're out there, they're either very inconspicuous or just not that many in number.

Where else have people seen them?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 4:11 PM
Near Generational

I saw one under construction in Inglewood.

It was a loft above a double garage. Not sure if that is the same thing.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post

I believe so yes. We have certain communities out here in airdrie that have been built with these. Some are high end and others are starter type.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 5:41 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post

That's what the one in Highwood is except the lane way home has it's own single attached garage underneath as well.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 4:12 AM
No man's land

There’s one in Hillhurst on 5th Ave that is pretty prominent. It’s good to see them getting approved in a variety of neighbourhoods. Achieving a functional space above double car garages is tricky on narrower lots.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 7:12 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
I don't think they are separate homes (as far as title goes) but are more suites above garages etc. but there are definitely some in the Currie Barracks area and also out in Harmony (Rockyview County)

Currie Barracks:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.01634...7i13312!8i6656

Albert Einstein

Last edited by lubicon; Aug 9, 2018 at 6:22 PM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 8:32 PM

There’s one in Crescent Heights right by the Rotary Park. The laneway house backs onto the lawn bowling club. Looks pretty good actually, you’ve never really think of it as a laneway house it looks Goodnuf to be a front facing house.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 6:35 PM

I think laneway housing is fine, as it offers some cheap housing in an established neighborhood, that isn't a basement suite. Other than that it's not fantastic. Most basement suites are larger, and cheaper, but the laneway house has the advantage of being above ground.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1 View Post
I think laneway housing is fine, as it offers some cheap housing in an established neighborhood, that isn't a basement suite. Other than that it's not fantastic. Most basement suites are larger, and cheaper, but the laneway house has the advantage of being above ground.
Is it cheap though?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Is it cheap though?
Cheap compared to a regular sized house, but as ST1 mentioned not as cheap as a basement suite. Personally I find the whole laneway housing deal to be nothing more than a trendy fad. They are the food trucks of the housing industry, you can get a really good basement suite for much less.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 11:07 PM

It doesn't really matter if they're cheaper than a basement suite or not. The important thing is that barriers to increasing supply are lifted.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 11:24 PM

They're cheap in Vancouver where housing cost are ridiculous, but here in Calgary I wouldn't say they're cheap. I kind of agree with the food truck analogy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Is it cheap though?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc_yyc_ca View Post
Cheap compared to a regular sized house, but as ST1 mentioned not as cheap as a basement suite. Personally I find the whole laneway housing deal to be nothing more than a trendy fad. They are the food trucks of the housing industry, you can get a really good basement suite for much less.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineN View Post
They're cheap in Vancouver where housing cost are ridiculous, but here in Calgary I wouldn't say they're cheap. I kind of agree with the food truck analogy.
In Vancouver they are positive. Since the property can not be sub-divided they generally either used to support an extended family or rented out. That increases rental stock and acts as a mortgage helper for first time buyers. They also add a different form of housing into traditionally single family areas.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues