HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 4:49 AM

Public Art Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggopher View Post
Beautiful day for a walk in Calgary, first day of December and it is +6C, just one of the many reasons why I love this city:

Now this is a great example of public art:

Thanks for the pics. Who is he?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abii View Post
Thanks for the pics. Who is he?
Very interesting history.
http://m.metronews.ca/#/article/news...eep-roots.html

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 5:27 AM

Umm, not exactly a great example of public art, not even a good one. Better than Bowfort Towers, I'll give it that.

Quote:

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 5:55 PM

Not a great example! Everyone in Calgary thinks public art has to involve a horse and a cowboy

Quote:
Beautiful day for a walk in Calgary, first day of December and it is +6C, just one of the many reasons why I love this city:

This is a great example of public art.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 7:06 PM

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
Not a great example! Everyone in Calgary thinks public art has to involve a horse and a cowboy

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 7:46 PM

Quote:

Let me guess, you're one of those morons who think this is public art.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2017, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook Arch View Post
Umm, not exactly a great example of public art, not even a good one. Better than Bowfort Towers, I'll give it that.
Quote:

[IMG]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...6e1e07f7ea.jpg[/MG]
If that is the example I think it is (by the Elbow/Bow confluence) it's actually much more thoughtful than just a typical cowboy - the writing on the statue indicates it's meant to represent the first westerners to arrive on a desolate prairie, unknowing of the city that would one day be in front of them.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2017, 3:53 AM

Even the leftwing libtards don't consider this art.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern View Post

Old Posted Dec 3, 2017, 5:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc_yyc_ca View Post
Interestingly, if art is meant to start conversation, this has been one of the most successful. I do like that it is functional, and in all honesty, every time I drive by this thing, everyone in the car cannot help but look. It has come to "own" the initially negative meaning reindeer names. The "big blue hoola hoop" seems to weather all of this.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2017, 8:15 PM

But by the same token the art piece could be a huge piece of dog crap made of plastic and people would talk about it and look at it every time they drive by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Interestingly, if art is meant to start conversation, this has been one of the most successful. I do like that it is functional, and in all honesty, every time I drive by this thing, everyone in the car cannot help but look. It has come to "own" the initially negative meaning reindeer names. The "big blue hoola hoop" seems to weather all of this.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2017, 8:19 PM

The public art in the first pic is more appealing to me. The art in the second pic is cliche, I mean a statue of a guy on a horse sitting atop a cement block. The oldest cliche of art there is.

Quote:

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 12:00 AM

FFS it’s all art. What is it with people and this fetish for having heart that modern and colorful, why can’t something be a statue sitting on top of concrete cannot still be considered art???

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_ting_on View Post
The public art in the first pic is more appealing to me. The art in the second pic is cliche, I mean a statue of a guy on a horse sitting atop a cement block. The oldest cliche of art there is.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
If that is the example I think it is (by the Elbow/Bow confluence) it's actually much more thoughtful than just a typical cowboy - the writing on the statue indicates it's meant to represent the first westerners to arrive on a desolate prairie, unknowing of the city that would one day be in front of them.
Exactly. I don't see anything wrong with it. Not all all should be cowboys and horses, but it's nice to have some variety and it's nice to having something that pays tribute to local history.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_ting_on View Post
I'm not sure what you're smoking, but this is about as cliche as it gets.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socguy View Post
When it costs 17 million to fix a single truss installed wrong back in the 1980's it kind of puts into perspective how little this city actually spend on things like public art or footbridges.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...-fix-1.4430833
Not an apples to apples comparison, unless your saying that public art is the equivalent of an expensive fuck up. A case could be made for that.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 4:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern View Post

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmariner View Post
Don’t wanna interrupt this non construction talk with a construction update. The site has been cleared and fenced off to the east of University City. There was a blue drill/ pile driver in site this morning. Not sure what the name of the project.
To msmariner's point, perhaps a public art thread might be good to start (though many would highlight that public art is integrated with construction projects quite often, particularly with the funding model). If such a thread exists, apologies for not knowing that. There was good discussion on CBC this morning on the TELUS Sky art plan, which in that case is completely integrated into the building.

At the same time, I think backhanded knocks on people ("don't wanna interrupt this non construction talk") are not always helpful, and perhaps a higher level of civility / maturity is appropriate.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Not an apples to apples comparison, unless your saying that public art is the equivalent of an expensive fuck up. A case could be made for that.
I think you missed the point.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 7:58 PM

Quote:
There's absolutely no connection between this incident and public art.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Umm, you missed the point. The cost of repairing a faulty truss is way larger than the cost of art, so what? The cost of crappy art is far more expensive than installing some extra park benches., and park benches are far more expensive than a happy meal at Mcdonald's.

The faulty truss is something that had to be done whether we liked it or not, same thing goes for replacing old sewage pipes and re-paving roads. Those are 'have to haves', not 'nice to haves', and if you're going to spend money on 'nice to haves' at least try to do a better job of it.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 9:08 PM
That's what she said

No, Socguy was right, You missed the point. The point being that the city spends billions on useful but mundane items such as road repair and pipes, etc... yet, a couple hundred thousand for art becomes a huge deal. Art is just as useful as roads and pipes, but in a different way and it comes at a minute fraction of the cost.
Quote:
Umm, you missed the point. The cost of repairing a faulty truss is way larger than the cost of art, so what? The cost of crappy art is far more expensive than installing some extra park benches., and park benches are far more expensive than a happy meal at Mcdonald's.

The faulty truss is something that had to be done whether we liked it or not, same thing goes for replacing old sewage pipes and re-paving roads. Those are 'have to haves', not 'nice to haves', and if you're going to spend money on 'nice to haves' at least try to do a better job of it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues