HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
You're right in that presentations are and should be a big deal for architects, and graphic design training can only help. However, it still doesn't change the fact that a lot of current architects are just not very good at it, just like I'd be terrible at architecture if I took only a few courses.
I think it runs the continuum - those firms that treat design as being important don't overlook the minutiae of the project, including graphics.

While that doesn't necessarily mean that Marc or Jeremy are doing the graphics themselves, chances are an intern architect is (at least for those firms...and probably Housebrand, and Orda as well).

There are crappy graphics, but a lot of times those are for crappy projects. The boards for the edmonton park pavillions, a national, anonymous competition last spring, looked fantastic...I'd bet that the architects are pretty heavily involved in something like that...

check out BIG, a danish firm, that are the current darlings of the architectural world - they've been winning international competitions all over the world of late. Don't know if it is a 'true' graphic designer involved, but their presentations are sweet.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
usually I just roll my eyes at your comments!

Actually, I love looking at some of the pics people have taken around town...makes the average buildings look good, and the good buildings great!

I love photography, just find the SLRs have so many features that I'd be wasting money because I wouldn't know how to use the damn thing!

Eye rolling is a probably a pretty common reaction to my comments.

If you don't want the complexity of a SLR but yet want full control, take a look at that Canon S95. Shooting manual is very easy and it takes pretty good pics for a point and shoot. I've almost abandoned my SLR since I bought the S95.

If you want to learn more about shooting with DSLR. Check out camerasim.com It allows you to screw around with a virtual DSLR. Very cool tool for a newbie.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Eye rolling is a probably a pretty common reaction to my comments.

If you don't want the complexity of a SLR but yet want full control, take a look at that Canon S95. Shooting manual is very easy and it takes pretty good pics for a point and shoot. I've almost abandoned my SLR since I bought the S95.

If you want to learn more about shooting with DSLR. Check out camerasim.com It allows you to screw around with a virtual DSLR. Very cool tool for a newbie.
thanks for the tips! I've looked at my sister's camera (it a Nikon D-SLR) and its pretty intimidating...she doesn't know all the gizmos yet.

the camerasim site sounds cool though - I'll definitely check it out...thanks again

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 4:28 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
Ok, now you're just starting to make shit up. Graphic design is a "HUGE" component of landscape and interior design? Let's not get crazy now.

You're right in that presentations are and should be a big deal for architects, and graphic design training can only help. However, it still doesn't change the fact that a lot of current architects are just not very good at it, just like I'd be terrible at architecture if I took only a few courses.

You have to know what your strengths and weaknesses are. Architects seems to have this idea that they are the mother of all design, and therefore they can do it all. Some of them are decent, but the vast majority I've run into are just terrible....no concept of type, hierarchy or basic graphic principles. I used to get 10-15 submissions per day from architecture firms, and the vast majority were contrived and over-complicated.

If schools are teaching graphic design, then great....but it takes more than a couple of courses to get good at it. I spent 4 years getting a Graphic Design BDes, and 2 years getting a Graphic Design MFA....and to be honest, I still felt like I only really started getting the hang of it once I started working. My GF graduated from Parsons, in Interior Design, and she said she received one token course.

And again, having a fine arts degree does not mean you have inherent design skills...a lot of the skills don't transfer over as well as one might think. During my MA schooling, we had a few people stream in from fine arts.....every single one of them dropped out before the first semester was over. They just didn't have the skills to hack it when you compared them to people who had take a 4 year degree. They could draw or paint, but were lacking in a lot of critical-thinking areas.

Btw, Corel Draw? I didn't even know that was still around?
FYI: At the University of Manitoba Faculty of Environmental Design they teach a lot of graphic design. Im betting even you would be impressed by some of their work.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 10:18 PM

so, i noticed they have an M up on the site...and a bunch of other letters there too (though none are installed)

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 1:15 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

I'm really looking forward to this all being done.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishavenger View Post
The Marc Boutain website is hands down the stupidest website for an architectual firm i have ever seen. What a pain in the ass to navigate.
100% agreed. It's far slower and clunkier than needs be.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I'm really looking forward to this all being done.
I've been looking foward to it for what feels like years now. Im very excited to see the amount of investment the city is putting into upgrading our river pathways. Once this is done I would very much like to see the path updgraded on the north bank just west of crowchild trail, and hopefully in time the west village revitalizes the stretch from 10th street to Crowchild on the south bank.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 8:16 PM
Here and There

Does anyone know what they are putting on the new boards in the palza to make them slip resistant? After a frost, those boards could be trecherous as some of the slopes exceed even 5%!

For the record, I think the plaza is great and cant wait to see it open!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Does anyone know what they are putting on the new boards in the palza to make them slip resistant? After a frost, those boards could be trecherous as some of the slopes exceed even 5%!

For the record, I think the plaza is great and cant wait to see it open!
it looks like the boards have grooves on the surface... no sure it it will be enough, so hopefully, the city will provide a decent amount of regular snow clearance...

caught this one morning from the bridge...a bit shaky as i was walking...

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 7:20 PM

Poppy Plaza looks great!

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 1:06 AM

Any news on what's happening with this? It seems like there hasn't been much work done in some time. It'll be a great edition to the area when it's done.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 5:05 AM

Druh told me that they had to get a different crew for Poppy Plaza due to problems with the last and should ramp up again soon.

She also said the city is looking at options for Buds Office furniture on Edmonton Trail. Market collective will have to move out of Kensington with the new development coming in. She said the city is looking at using Buds for the new location but will need some serious renovation and perhaps even get some retail frontage.

The city is also looking at putting off peak parking on Edmonton Trail again. The temporary parking last year was very positive and many businesses are pushing to make it permanent.

Old Posted May 19, 2012, 1:33 AM
Snarkotron

It is utterly ridiculous that this project is stuck at a standstill.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Cypress View Post
It is utterly ridiculous that this project is stuck at a standstill.
Agreed...u would think that a project with this much importance, there would be more action on it!!!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 1:35 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Update: I have seen crews back on this site starting to resume work on it. Doubt we see it done before summers end though.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 5:17 PM
Realtor

The citys website says "anticipated to open late 2012".

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 10:19 PM

I went to poppy plaza Saturday. And I was quite impressed. Is the old brick building supposed to become a restaurant? I have to say it gives the Louise bridge a warmer feel too

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 1:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govertical View Post
I went to poppy plaza Saturday. And I was quite impressed. Is the old brick building supposed to become a restaurant? I have to say it gives the Louise bridge a warmer feel too
Yup.

They're planting a bunch of trees in the actual plaza area itself today, and have recently planted a bunch around the south side of the future restaurant and along the trail.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 3:42 PM
Moran supreme

So went down to Poppy Plaza with the kids last Saturday evening (May 12) and yupp, this is a very nice addition to Calgary's public places. Am concerned though that they are already having to modify this site to address certain issues as I believe this will subtract from the original look. Trying to dissuade boarders/bikers is a touchy subject it would appear but none of my three older kids 19-21, who are boarders, feel that they need to practice their sport/activity at this location - they all were in awe of how unique and special this place already is.

That said, what to do about boarders and such - they do need proper places in the city IMHO and Shaw just isn't enough. Yeah, there's going to be more skate parks coming on stream but that still won't address the issue of boarders looking for those wild spots there were never built with the intent of providing a spot for boarders to do tricks and such. Myself, I do have some issues with people damaging private or public spaces - no different then random graffiti but if not enough allowed places are created/provided, then something new like Poppy Plaza or the finger trap bridge will attract them just because of these structures were built.

Really, there is no easy solution but somehow the city needs to find some answers that will keep all happy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues