HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 10:09 PM
BANNED

Will fish farming save rural canada?

This is a serious question, with protein rich foods set to multiply in price as Asian markets start eating like westerners, it has to be asked how is fish farming not see as some miracle industry.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 3:04 AM
Dahvie Fan

Rural Canada doesn't need saving

Agribusiness is huge in Canada and is in a boom time

The only reason for the decline in populations in rural areas is because recent advances in technology allow farmers to produce more crops with less workers

This thread must be a joke

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 3:13 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libtard View Post

The only reason for the decline in populations in rural areas is because recent advances in technology allow farmers to produce more crops with less workers

It doesn't need saving, it needs investment. I am not familiar enough with that industry to know; some questions would be, how labour intensive is it - how many people would it employ, what density of farms could be sustained, etc. etc.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 5:43 AM

I don't think fish farming will be helping those who live in the Rural Prairies. Just sayin'.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 7:42 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
I don't think fish farming will be helping those who live in the Rural Prairies. Just sayin'.

Apparently it might actually be enough to save some small rural Sask. towns.

Quote:
Saskatchewan’s aquaculture industry consists of about 108 licensed hatcheries and 2,000 licensed producers.
http://esask.uregina.ca/entry/aquaculture.html

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 12:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by libtard View Post

I'm talking about the atlantic and pacific coast as well.

From I understand its easily affordable in the actual ocean. As we have bring ocean front on our coasts.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 6:31 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

The "decline" of rural Canada (the rural to urban shift) began a long time ago with the industrial revolution (1800s). It has continued progressively ever since with the advance of technology. Farming is "agribusiness" now (dependent on technology, not labour), not "agriculture", with a society based around it, anymore. Fish farms are probably not labour intensive any more than normal farming, therefore it would be a typical modern industry, especially in future, benefiting the few owners and investors but not very labour intensive, therefore not a good basis to sustain large rural populations.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 12:36 AM

Fish farming has a labour component in it which is fairly substantial if an entire operation were to be carried out in one area, it also creates jobs in the transportion industry by requiring product to be moved. The Bay D'Espoir region of Newfoundland has a large aquaculture industry that has helped it to remain resilient in times which have otherwise been difficult for other communities.

For instance, Northern Harvest Sea Farms employs over 250 people in New Brunswick and Newfoundland for the production of salmon. They constructed a large salmon hatchery in Stephenville which went into production last year, where salmon are hatched and raised into the smolt stage. From that point, they are loaded onto a ships and transported to Bay D'Espoir on the south coast where they are raised to adulthood. The facility here is considered state of the art and employs up to 30 people at peak times in a variety of occupations that range from general labour up to engineers, tradespeople and office admin staff.

It's not difficult to imagine the spinoffs that come from good paying jobs. As the demand for fish increases, which it will because of the nutritional value of fish and the increasing demand on the food supply, the better positional coastal communities will be to meet that demand. Seafood and fish farming really has untapped potential and is an area in which rural coastal communities should have an advantage over urban centres because of the high demand for large volumes of salt water.

Employment in aquaculture won't just come from onsite labour, but more so from transportation and shipping because of the constant demand for fresh product in large cities.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 5:14 AM

Along the coast fish farming is big business and it is helping "save" communities that historical were dependent on forestry, fish canning and fishing for wild stock.

Beyond the BC coast and Atlantic Canadian I do not think it is will have a major impact.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 2:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Along the coast fish farming is big business and it is helping "save" communities that historical were dependent on forestry, fish canning and fishing for wild stock.

Beyond the BC coast and Atlantic Canadian I do not think it is will have a major impact.
Just six provinces

Anyhow on atlantic provinces apparently there are already 4000 people involved in the industry. Thats alot when you consider that its currently a startup industry.

With rich in protein based foods to be in high demand in the next 20-30 years, I think its highly plausible that up to 100,000 people could be employed in the industry.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 4:29 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Will crop farming save coastal Canada?

http://www.heritage.nf.ca/law/sprung_greenhouse.html

to some, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 11:07 PM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
This is a serious question, with protein rich foods set to multiply in price as Asian markets start eating like westerners, it has to be asked how is fish farming not see as some miracle industry.
Unlikely. China already produces nearly two thirds of its own fish/seafood via aquaculture (and carries out twice as much aquaculture as the rest of the world combined) so it's very unlikely that any aquaculture that Canada could potentially do would have any impact on the world market. Further, imported fish in China is extremely expensive, so the likelihood of Canadian farmed fish selling well in China is exceptionally low.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 5:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
Unlikely. China already produces nearly two thirds of its own fish/seafood via aquaculture (and carries out twice as much aquaculture as the rest of the world combined) so it's very unlikely that any aquaculture that Canada could potentially do would have any impact on the world market. Further, imported fish in China is extremely expensive, so the likelihood of Canadian farmed fish selling well in China is exceptionally low.
Good ol literal Jim.

Canada will sell meat to North America our fish is worthless that far away.

I'm talking about land based eats that will go up in price, as I'm quite certain chicken and beef are going up. That's because the land needed for meat eat eaters is huge.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

Yeah, that one was bad. We'd prefer to forget about that haha

There are some good farming areas in this province though. The west end of St. John's has always had a farming history. The Codroy Valley was settled solely for the purpose of agriculture, as were Cormack, Lourdes, and parts of Stephenville.

But the Sprung Greenhouse? Oh boy, that was dumb one.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 9:40 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

Oh Jesus. You owe me a lung transplant. I've had just enough beer to have found everything about this debilitatingly hilarious.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 11:17 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ I've got an idea for a tropical fish hatchery to be located in Labrador.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 11:39 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Pitch it to Smallwood, not me. I'm a Nationalist, not a get-rich-quick Confederate.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Just six provinces
Six? Actually, all provinces but two (SK and AB) have a coastline and port(s).

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 7:15 AM

I wouldn't reach so far to claim that it would save anything but further development couldn't hurt. If done right? It could certainly help and improve the economy. Especially that it's already happening
http://www.atlanticfishfarmers.com/f...ic-canada.html
http://www.scienceclarified.com/Al-As/Aquaculture.html
http://www.marineharvestcanada.com/careers_position_profiles_farm_site.php

Seriously, when I am done with my job here I am gonna pack my bags and move to Canada and try to find a job in fish farming business.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada