HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Whine whine whine whine whine. Partner with whoever is cheapest and the best deal for Colorado. If that means 75 years to the binladen group, so be it.
Yikes... can't we at least show a little discretion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Maybe we can toll the lanes on a relocated I-70 and toll the new boulevard as well as a means of financing it? Or just move I-70 and then fence off the viaduct. Then put up a sign, "F*** you. Find another way." Seems about as realistic as any of the critics proposals to move I-70.
Just took me awhile to get my hearty chuckle of the day but patience paid.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 12:54 AM

Pick Your Poison

Won't be no stinkin' toll roads in Phoenix. But in 1986 voters passed a metro wide 1/2 percent sales tax for 20 years for transportation and have re-upped it twice. Lots of peeps down here to pay that tax at their favorite Walmart. Freeways running free.

Denver Metro chose to pay for transit. So Wizened are you now saying that was a mistake?

Anybody recall the political rant I had recently about needing to pass a significantly increased Highway Trust Fund Bill? Raise the fricken gas tax and move on. Hasn't been raised since 1993. Colorado needs to do the same. President been pushing for this for 3 years. But the Yahoo's south of the Mason-Dixon Line where growth and economies are good figure they can handle their own problems better. In case nobody had thought about it Top Grower Texas is building lots of new freeway lanes, some of them are tolled, some are not.

So far as foreign investors interest in infrastructure investments it's much like the foreign all-cash buyers in new buildings near Union Station. They take a very long investment view. That would be in contrast to voters and the politicians who love to exploit voter emotions as apposed to being rational. It would also be in contrast to domestic investors to date.

Last edited by TakeFive; Jul 29, 2014 at 1:05 AM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 2:23 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Yikes... can't we at least show a little discretion.
What do you mean discretion? Are you reacting in the "irrational public" way, exactly as I was mocking? I'm actually doing a big project right now, the funding partner is supposedly partnered with binladen group. Colorado infrastructure. Will only be 40 years though, so maybe it's okay? I think it's really tolls you guys don't like, and the foreigner thing is a red herring.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 3:55 AM

Quote:
What do you mean discretion? Are you reacting in the "irrational public" way, exactly as I was mocking? I'm actually doing a big project right now, the funding partner is supposedly partnered with binladen group. Colorado infrastructure. Will only be 40 years though, so maybe it's okay? I think it's really tolls you guys don't like, and the foreigner thing is a red herring.
Had you read my 2nd comment as well you might have guessed my 1st was made in jest. Actually I know any family can have its black sheep. Also know that many Saudi's invest here. We've always had good relations with the Royal Family. Maybe even partly why we invaded Iraq as they made SA nervous although then there's the whole Sunni Shiite thing.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 4:50 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Oh gotcha my mistake

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Two schools of thought: I pay a toll and the money I pay is a domestic tax whose monies stay in the Country. Terms and conditions are reasonably public.

I pay a toll and a percentage of that toll goes overseas. Is that not a tax? Are we not paying taxes to foreign entities? Aha! profits to foreign banks paid for by users of public property are not taxes...they are spelled differently.

Of course, the Country under the last three or four presidents has been selling it's seed corn, so what the H***. I think we should get Finland to (try) to run our public schools, the Germans to run our manufacturing, the Saudi's to run our oil industry, the Chinese to run our food processing industry.....

Bring it on! Let's continue for another generation the grand tradition of looting our Country...

Get the Chinese to buy Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and then they own all the house mortgages. I sure we will get debt relief then.

LOL!

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 12:25 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

I bet you were on the "America is doomed, the Japanese own our country" bandwagon in the 80s too. We're still here, doing fine.

A toll is not a tax, wherever the money goes. It's a fee for service. You have the option whether to pay it. If you don't want to support the big bad foreign conglomerate, don't drive that road. Or vote for actual taxes so we can build our own. Remember, your people brought us TABOR. I think you're quick to shift blame away from us (you) - probably helps you sleep at night. Even if the Chinese did own our mortgages, whatever blame there is for us not getting "debt relief" (whatever that means) falls squarely on Congress. Last I checked, we still vote for those guys, not the Chinese. We get the government we want and deserve. And you, my friend, with your incessant blaming of foreigners, are part of the problem, not the solution.

You remind me of the Palestinians. Easy to never fix anything when it's always somebody else's fault.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 4:20 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Moving on to a more hopeful topic.

Ski Train? It's 2014 and there's now a big-ass Train Hall with multiple platforms for trains. Anyone think that someone might take another go at bringing this beloved institution back? It's not like traffic on I-70 has gotten any better.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 4:55 PM
ColoRADo

^ Only if Amtrak has changed their tune.

I would love to see the Ski Train running again.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Moving on to a more hopeful topic.

Ski Train? It's 2014 and there's now a big-ass Train Hall with multiple platforms for trains. Anyone think that someone might take another go at bringing this beloved institution back? It's not like traffic on I-70 has gotten any better.
It can't hurt that Intrawest, the owner of Winter Park, has their offices right across the street at 18th and Wynkoop. I can't help but think that somebody over there will start pushing to bring this back in some form, especially as they see the stream of people through the station gradually increasing.

The details need to be seriously re-worked though. The full-fledged "ski train experience" is fun for a family on vacation, but not practical or economical for a local with a Winter Park ski-pass. I've always thought it would work better as a sort of shuttle-service-on-rails. I wonder if it would be financially feasible to run the train more frequently; without all the bells and whistles, and with a much lower ticket price. Potentially not (from the sound of that article, it may not be a particularly fuel-efficient way to get to W.P.), but if it could be, I think it would get a lot more riders that way. Especially with the area's new-found residential population and upcoming link to the airport.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 9:22 PM
Denver

RTD must be the least user friendly transit agency in the entire world.

Yesterday I needed to get from Boulder to Downtown Littleton. I figured this would be the perfect opportunity to use public transit. Wrong.

I arrived at the Broadway and Arapahoe bus stop in Boulder 5 minutes early for the BV. The BV showed up on time and drove right past me. I called RTD to complain / ask why the bus didn't stop for me. Apparently the BV stops at Broadway and Canyon then skips past the Broadway and Arapahoe stop, and the next stop is at The Broadway & Euclid Station. So basically, the BV stops once near downtown Boulder, then travels almost a mile before stopping on the hill near CU. I will admit that this is my fault for not knowing which stops in Boulder the BV stops at, but it seems pretty ridiculous to me that the BV doesn't stop at Broadway and Arapahoe. For the sake of user ease, shouldn't the BV stop at all of the stops along broadway in central Boulder?

So I walk to Broadway and Canyon and wait another 30 minutes to catch the BV. I get on the BV, and get off at Denver Union Station. The BV parks at the exact opposite end of the bus terminal from the light rail station, so I walk the 150 yards to the lightrail station. There is no C line running, so I wait 12 minutes for an E Line to show up. I hop on the E line and take it to broadway where I wait another 10 minutes to transfer to a D line. I get on the D line and finally make it to Littleton Downtown.

my total travel time (not including the 30 minute delay in Boulder) was 2 hours and 4 minutes.

Fuck it. Next time I will just drive (and I have an eco pass)

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 2:05 AM

Quote:
I bet you were on the "America is doomed, the Japanese own our country" bandwagon in the 80s too. We're still here, doing fine.

A toll is not a tax, wherever the money goes. It's a fee for service. You have the option whether to pay it. If you don't want to support the big bad foreign conglomerate, don't drive that road. Or vote for actual taxes so we can build our own. Remember, your people brought us TABOR. I think you're quick to shift blame away from us (you) - probably helps you sleep at night. Even if the Chinese did own our mortgages, whatever blame there is for us not getting "debt relief" (whatever that means) falls squarely on Congress. Last I checked, we still vote for those guys, not the Chinese. We get the government we want and deserve. And you, my friend, with your incessant blaming of foreigners, are part of the problem, not the solution.

You remind me of the Palestinians. Easy to never fix anything when it's always somebody else's fault.
You are 180 degrees off on this one. I use other what has occurred in other nations as a wake up call.

In almost all issues that relate to infrastructure repair (the private power grid, public highways, waste water and fresh water delivery), urban planning (as reflected by what is BEING built), constructing new publically funded projects, at less than exorbitant costs regardless of the design), and, constructing world class architectural designs here (some of our best have done great work in China), we are not doing well.

The issue, Bunt, is far vaster than reducing federal taxes because private corporate debt and personal debt for huge portions of the population totals many multiples of the GNP. Neither party has addressed, or will address problems that affect the amount of moneys they receive, and, until such time as both parties are forced to deal with reality, all we will hear is highly polished jingoistic pap from politicians and our mass media.

Consequently, I concentrate on whether something WORKS. I go backward from obvious flaws in proposals and models, and, later, look at what has been built like an engineer might, or a mathematician concentrating on proof.

You, my friend, are a politician by temperament. You look at how people get together and forge a workable solution, often behind closed doors.*

People like you and I need to work together in this country. Today, this simply is not the case because money, not money AND excellence, is the mantra. The net result is short term profits at the expense of functionality.

The issue really is not TABOR, IMO, sir. Rather the issue lies in the details. The issue really is not whether we have the money to do things, rather the issue is to use what is available exquisitely well.

*We desperately need good politicians who can survive the election process with more personal integrity, a desire to learn, and, more backbone than a jelly fish.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Won't be no stinkin' toll roads in Phoenix. But in 1986 voters passed a metro wide 1/2 percent sales tax for 20 years for transportation and have re-upped it twice. Lots of peeps down here to pay that tax at their favorite Walmart. Freeways running free.

Denver Metro chose to pay for transit. So Wizened are you now saying that was a mistake?

Anybody recall the political rant I had recently about needing to pass a significantly increased Highway Trust Fund Bill? Raise the fricken gas tax and move on. Hasn't been raised since 1993. Colorado needs to do the same. President been pushing for this for 3 years. But the Yahoo's south of the Mason-Dixon Line where growth and economies are good figure they can handle their own problems better. In case nobody had thought about it Top Grower Texas is building lots of new freeway lanes, some of them are tolled, some are not.

So far as foreign investors interest in infrastructure investments it's much like the foreign all-cash buyers in new buildings near Union Station. They take a very long investment view. That would be in contrast to voters and the politicians who love to exploit voter emotions as apposed to being rational. It would also be in contrast to domestic investors to date.
A. Let's say that I build a dam to provide water for irrigation, for industry, and for city use. The dam will backup water to a certain elevation (when full). Investors own the land above that elevation where excess water would go over a spillway.

Let's also say that when the dam was being designed, that various groups- some with pull and others without any say, argued strongly over how high the dam should be, how the geology around the proposed dam might affect leakage, where the dam should actually be constructed, and, whether the dam should be concrete, or concrete plus earth fill.

Let's also say that powerful interests got their way.

B. Sometime later, the dam began to leak at a higher rate than anticipated by the group whose design was built, due to known geological concerns that had pointed out by powerless groups. The question then arose about whether the dam was repairable.

A common way to reduce leakage is to reduce the storage capacity, as pressure at the dam is related to the depth of water at the dam.

So, this was done, but, then the problem became that the water storable was insufficient to provide for the needs downstream. The dam was built in a geologically questionable location so expansion of water capacity (the height of the hydrostatic head) was not possible.

You ask me whether Fastraks is a waste of money. My reply to you is that capacity constraints that easily could have been prepared for, will force big buck repairs. Fixing the Union Station Complex to permit fast through put could well involve elevated or buried subway lines at the cost of billions of current dollars. Moving the freight lines to a new north south double track line east of DIA to Colorado Springs would cost many billions. Shunting the freight line traffic over 200 miles of new track way out in eastern Colorado and double tracking the entire line more billions.

We have painted ourselves into a corner despite repeated well thought out warnings.

So, obviously, I have mixed feelings about it. And, yes I am glad that the glass is half full rather than empty, while disappointed at the missed opportunity to have built something as good as any steel rail system in the world for the same amount of money.

Excellence of design saves huge bucks long term.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottk View Post
RTD must be the least user friendly transit agency in the entire world.

Yesterday I needed to get from Boulder to Downtown Littleton. I figured this would be the perfect opportunity to use public transit. Wrong.

I arrived at the Broadway and Arapahoe bus stop in Boulder 5 minutes early for the BV. The BV showed up on time and drove right past me. I called RTD to complain / ask why the bus didn't stop for me. Apparently the BV stops at Broadway and Canyon then skips past the Broadway and Arapahoe stop, and the next stop is at The Broadway & Euclid Station. So basically, the BV stops once near downtown Boulder, then travels almost a mile before stopping on the hill near CU. I will admit that this is my fault for not knowing which stops in Boulder the BV stops at, but it seems pretty ridiculous to me that the BV doesn't stop at Broadway and Arapahoe. For the sake of user ease, shouldn't the BV stop at all of the stops along broadway in central Boulder?

So I walk to Broadway and Canyon and wait another 30 minutes to catch the BV. I get on the BV, and get off at Denver Union Station. The BV parks at the exact opposite end of the bus terminal from the light rail station, so I walk the 150 yards to the lightrail station. There is no C line running, so I wait 12 minutes for an E Line to show up. I hop on the E line and take it to broadway where I wait another 10 minutes to transfer to a D line. I get on the D line and finally make it to Littleton Downtown.

my total travel time (not including the 30 minute delay in Boulder) was 2 hours and 4 minutes.

Fuck it. Next time I will just drive (and I have an eco pass)
I don't really understand the complaint. You took a 40 mile trip on public transportation during off peak times. That'll take in the realm of 2 hours in most cities.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 7:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanboy33 View Post
I don't really understand the complaint. You took a 40 mile trip on public transportation during off peak times. That'll take in the realm of 2 hours in most cities.
RTD absolutely has some improving to do...but kinda agree here you made it harder on yourself by doing off-peak, not knowing the BV stops in Boulder, and adding an unnecessary transfer at Broadway instead of catching the E at DUS.

That said...totally, totally feel your pain sometimes.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 7:43 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
RTD absolutely has some improving to do...but kinda agree here you made it harder on yourself by doing off-peak, not knowing the BV stops in Boulder, and adding an unnecessary transfer at Broadway instead of catching the E at DUS.

That said...totally, totally feel your pain sometimes.
You didn't read closely. He subtracted out the 30 minute wait time. And there IS NO C line, so the transfer is necessary.

I think his complaint is perfectly reasonable. RTD is a pretty thin system to begin with. If a commute that falls completely in-line with the "main" corridors of the system STILL cannot come within 200% of the time the trip takes by car, then the system is failing. It's not like we're talking about some out-of-the-way bus transfers. This is the US 36 corridor and the SW light rail corridor - two of RTD's best developed.

And all of the off-peak talk is simply surrendering to the fact that RTD is a commuter-only system that does nothing more than provide remote parking for downtown. If that's not what it is, then lets stop pretending like it's more when it's convenient for our worldview to claim it is (usually in the context of somebody's anti-car rant). Either transit is a viable substitute, or it's not. It's not acceptable to tell people to ditch their cars in favor of something that's only viable so long as you travel exactly how and at the times we think you should.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 7:51 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizened Variations View Post
People like you and I need to work together in this country. Today, this simply is not the case because money, not money AND excellence, is the mantra. The net result is short term profits at the expense of functionality.

The issue really is not TABOR, IMO, sir. Rather the issue lies in the details. The issue really is not whether we have the money to do things, rather the issue is to use what is available exquisitely well.
This is now the dumbest post you've ever had here No offense, just telling it like I see it. This is the typical "fraud waste and abuse" nonsense trotted out by people who think they could have their cake and eat it too, if only we could cut out the fraud, waste and abuse. Except there is no evidence of that, period. It's simply a lie. Or ignorance of how much things actually cost. Or you're simply saying we are all incompetent. None of which is particularly acceptable.

Doing things exquisitely costs money. If you think we could do things exquisitely for the same price, and simply don't, then you're dreaming.

The easiest explanation, of course, is that you simply don't know what you're talking about. I'll go with that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizened Variations View Post
Fixing the Union Station Complex to permit fast through put could well involve elevated or buried subway lines at the cost of billions of current dollars. Moving the freight lines to a new north south double track line east of DIA to Colorado Springs would cost many billions. Shunting the freight line traffic over 200 miles of new track way out in eastern Colorado and double tracking the entire line more billions.
And these would all cost more today too. I do not understand where you get this notion of a great conspiracy to do things badly, when for the exact same price, with no sacrifices at all, it could've been done better. We make trade-offs, plain and simple. Projects have budgets. That's how it works in the real world, if not in tin foil hat world.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 8:15 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Regional buses skip some local stops in order to go faster. If a long distance bus made every local stop, your 2 hour trip would've taken even longer. That's the whole reason RTD skips some of the stops.

That said, 2 hours is ridiculous.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 8:34 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Cirrus, you need to change your tagline again.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 8:42 PM
cities|transit|croissants

You can't tell me what to do.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West