HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jul 5, 2014, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
I think it's the fact that Francesco Aquilini wants his money and won't let Linden do a full-scale rebuild. NHL is a business, they want the money.
I kinda have the same feeling. Tanking may mean Mcdavid but it also means way less season ticket and game day/merch revenue.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2014, 8:13 PM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Vancouver is doing an interesting experiment. It's been a long, long time since a team has tried to build so much, so fast, from free agency.
Habs in 2009...

Traded for Gomez ()

Signed:

Gionta
Cammalleri
Moen
Gill
Spacek
Mara

We had one cindarella run the season that followed but that's it. Gomez is out, Gionta signed with Buffalo, Cammalleri was traded, Moen is still there but is often a healthy scratch, Gill was traded, Spacek was traded and Mara retired.

Overall it was a disaster. Free agency never works. It can help but the core must be build from the draft.

It was mainly because of that summer we had a new management.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2014, 9:25 PM

Jets haven't done to much signing. Only actual free agent signings are Center Matthew Perreault (3yr/9mil) and Defensemen Will O'Neill (1yr/575K).
They have only resigned goalie Michael Hutchinson.
And have lost Olli Jokinen and Al Montoya.
A very quiet year as they are focusing on prospects more.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 1:57 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
I think it's the fact that Francesco Aquilini wants his money and won't let Linden do a full-scale rebuild. NHL is a business, they want the money.
I'm not sure how much more needs to be done before you call this a "full-scale rebuild". Beyond the twins, and maybe the ear-biter if you consider him an elite franchise player, the Canucks have basically overhauled the entire team.

Again reminding me of the Flames, where everyone in mgmt denied it was a rebuild until there was basically nothing left but some spare parts. Then the media just got bored of asking.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 1:59 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid247 View Post
Apparently Gretzky is trying to help bring the NHL to Seattle. I think it's a great idea, especially to help balance out the 2 conferences. Although I am curious to know if would end up being an expansion or relocation franchise. If it is expansion, I'm sure it would mean 2 expansion teams, which raises another question: Where would the 2nd franchise land?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=456459
Quebec City. Houston. Portland. Las Vegas. Kansas City. In descending order of probability. Add Markham in there somewhere, although these days that's seeming less likely.

In terms of relocation, Phoenix is probably still the only available franchise and they're a few years away from failing yet again.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 8:33 PM
More transit please

Habs sign Eller 4 years/14M$ for 3,5M$/year. A little too much, but if he develops correctly it'll be worth it.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 11:12 PM

so what type of numbers do you guys expect Subban to get?

7.5-8.0 mill X 6 years is what im guessing. dude is gonna get PAID!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 1:02 AM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintzilla View Post
so what type of numbers do you guys expect Subban to get?

7.5-8.0 mill X 6 years is what im guessing. dude is gonna get PAID!
Between 7.5 and 8 million like you said. He's really the future of our team so it's justified. And he said he wanted to finish his career with the Habs.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 4:29 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkahHigh View Post
And he said he wanted to finish his career with the Habs.
His words were that he wanted to be a lifer. He's 25; we shouldn't be talking about where he's going to be in 13+ seasons when his career is finishing. I'm sure many thought Alfredsson would be a lifer with the Sens, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Quebec City. Houston. Portland. Las Vegas. Kansas City. In descending order of probability. Add Markham in there somewhere, although these days that's seeming less likely.

In terms of relocation, Phoenix is probably still the only available franchise and they're a few years away from failing yet again.
The Panthers are a possible relocation target. Given that they are in the same division as Toronto, Montreal, et. al it would almost be too easy to move them to Quebec to avoid schedule or divisional realignment issues. If I personally had it my way, the Panthers would be relocated to Quebec with the Coyotes moving to Seattle.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 2:14 PM
arf

Stupid Ottawa management. There was not much reason to have been stupid like they were. Alfredsson was a great mentor and the team was moving forward with him in the line up unlike Calgary that had issues moving forward with Iginla around. Both of them to me should have been lifer's with their original teams, but I can see why Calgary needed to move on while I can't see why Ottawa did.

First ballot hall of famer. Still a great leader.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 3:04 PM

Sounds like Montreal and Subban are very far apart. Montreal is offering $5.5 mil on a 1 year term while Subban is looking for $8.5 mil. Could this be the end of Subban in Montreal? seems the team is low balling the guy, he's definitely worth more than $5.5 mil.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 3:13 PM

That's how all negotiations start, they had to submit a number for arbitration. Same thing happened to Eller and he ended up with more than his initial asking price. Wouldn't be surprised if P.K. ends up with 7.5-8 million, but it will make it more difficult to sign Gallagher, Galchenyuk etc. as they become free agents.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 3:20 PM
arf

He is definitely worth more than $5.5million and definitely worth keeping around a few more years.

Let's look at some defensemen making around $5.5.

Keith Yandle, Matt Niskanen, Tobias Enstrom, Matt Carle...

I wonder how many teams are wondering how much they could put on an offer sheet if it comes to that? I know I'd be thinking about it as an owner.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 3:21 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Sounds like Montreal and Subban are very far apart. Montreal is offering $5.5 mil on a 1 year term while Subban is looking for $8.5 mil. Could this be the end of Subban in Montreal? seems the team is low balling the guy, he's definitely worth more than $5.5 mil.
Yep, but Bergevin's not an idiot, he knows exactly how much PK is worth. I'm guessing the arbitration will give him between 7 and 7.5 million, and I hope he signs long term.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 3:22 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
That's how all negotiations start, they had to submit a number for arbitration. Same thing happened to Eller and he ended up with more than his initial asking price. Wouldn't be surprised if P.K. ends up with 7.5-8 million, but it will make it more difficult to sign Gallagher, Galchenyuk etc. as they become free agents.
Don't forget Pacioretty, he's a 30-goal scorer currently payed 4.5 M$/year!

Last edited by SkahHigh; Aug 26, 2014 at 12:23 PM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 3:35 PM

Quote:
They usually start $3 mil apart? that seems odd...

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 12:20 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post

The Panthers are a possible relocation target. Given that they are in the same division as Toronto, Montreal, et. al it would almost be too easy to move them to Quebec to avoid schedule or divisional realignment issues. If I personally had it my way, the Panthers would be relocated to Quebec with the Coyotes moving to Seattle.
The Panthers were just sold in the past year to an ownership group who seem to be a little more interested in putting some money into the team. While reports have come out that the arena makes more money for non-NHL events, they at least seem committed to trying to make it work there. I'd think the relocation chances for the Panthers have reduced, but are probably not zero

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 9:33 PM
More transit please

9M$/year for 8 years to PK... Wow, and some thought he was being disrespected by the organization!!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 10:08 PM

Not surprised. I don't know why everyone got so freaked out by the word arbitration.

That's a big commitment though. He deserves it right now, but a lot can change in 8 years.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 10:13 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Not surprised. I don't know why everyone got so freaked out by the word arbitration.

That's a big commitment though. He deserves it right now, but a lot can change in 8 years.
Yeah, but he's only going to get better in my opinion. Still only 25.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada