HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Look for a "good news" story related to the incident at ECC on the CBC news coming up shortly
is this it?
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...tion-1.3046577

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 8:17 AM

I walk through City Centre almost daily and have very few problems myself. That being said, I'm a well-built, decently dressed, normal young white male. The most I get is the odd guy asking for change. Can't say I really see much bad actually going on. I think a lot of this fear is simply based on appearances of people and, sadly, race. Somebody brought up Calgary and how their city centre mall feels so much safer and cleaner. Who can honestly tell me that the demographics of the two downtowns don't play into that? The number of aboriginal and black people, especially younger men that you will see there absolutely dwarfs Calgary. But if you get past the race and the dress, how many real problems can you honestly see? Now, then there are the spots where the homeless frequent and I can say the same thing. How often are they actually bothering you?

But I can understand the feeling. Especially for somebody who isn't completely used to it like we are. For instance, I don't think my grandmother would be comfortable in a lot of these spots with the characters that hang out, and if somebody like her wouldn't be comfortable then that seems like an issue that needs addressing to me.

Totally concur with those who said the 101st bus stop area needs to be cleaned up, as well as the Churchill/Library corners.

Side note...I was at the Milner Library this evening and this well-dressed, attractive university-aged Chinese girl dozed off next to me. I was waiting for the security to come give her the boot, but it didn't happen.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
I walk through City Centre almost daily and have very few problems myself. That being said, I'm a well-built, decently dressed, normal young white male. The most I get is the odd guy asking for change. Can't say I really see much bad actually going on. I think a lot of this fear is simply based on appearances of people and, sadly, race. Somebody brought up Calgary and how their city centre mall feels so much safer and cleaner. Who can honestly tell me that the demographics of the two downtowns don't play into that? The number of aboriginal and black people, especially younger men that you will see there absolutely dwarfs Calgary. But if you get past the race and the dress, how many real problems can you honestly see? Now, then there are the spots where the homeless frequent and I can say the same thing. How often are they actually bothering you?

But I can understand the feeling. Especially for somebody who isn't completely used to it like we are. For instance, I don't think my grandmother would be comfortable in a lot of these spots with the characters that hang out, and if somebody like her wouldn't be comfortable then that seems like an issue that needs addressing to me.

Totally concur with those who said the 101st bus stop area needs to be cleaned up, as well as the Churchill/Library corners.

Side note...I was at the Milner Library this evening and this well-dressed, attractive university-aged Chinese girl dozed off next to me. I was waiting for the security to come give her the boot, but it didn't happen.
I was shopping at CC mall this weekend. There seems to less of the "undesirables" there. So in that sense it is better but it seems that if I go during the workday when I would normally be in the office, the numbers are higher.

I must say it is not a good sign when I was walking in the pedway and seeing 2 people getting arrested outside the Shoppers. I with I could say that this is a one time thing, but I see people get arrested in the mall pretty much every other time I go there in the last year or so. That may not seem like a big deal to some, but it can be a negative to others. In their case they probably will not go back for a while.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 8:42 PM
Community Guy

Sure, but that occurs in ANY mall, especially downtown, hell in WEM it has been an on going thing.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 7:48 PM

Went to both the library and the City Centre mall for the first time in ages (and I live downtown). I had heard the place was mopped up. Did not feel comfortable locking my bike outside. The 'clientele' at City Centre looked like it was straight out of Mad Max.

An Urban Planner

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 7:54 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qafir Arnaut View Post
The 'clientele' at City Centre looked like it was straight out of Mad Max.
This kind of hyperbole is exactly why I have trouble taking these concerns at face value.

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qafir Arnaut View Post
Went to both the library and the City Centre mall for the first time in ages (and I live downtown). I had heard the place was mopped up. Did not feel comfortable locking my bike outside. The 'clientele' at City Centre looked like it was straight out of Mad Max.

It is a little sad.

I loved shopping downtown at one time. Now, not so much.

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 9:14 PM

More residents and business types on the streets, new arena, new developments, upcoming renos to both the library and the mall, and more high-end retail in the mall should dispel that Detroit feel.

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
More residents and business types on the streets, new arena, new developments, upcoming renos to both the library and the mall, and more high-end retail in the mall should dispel that Detroit feel.

Absolutely. The shift is happening.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveography View Post
This kind of hyperbole is exactly why I have trouble taking these concerns at face value.
Agreed.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Sure, but that occurs in ANY mall, especially downtown, hell in WEM it has been an on going thing.
Yes it does play to stereotypes and that is something that downtown Edmonton has yet to fully overcome. In such cases you need to be at least twice as good as other malls or downtowns to dispel them. I wish it were not the case but it is. They have this vision of downtown Edmonton to be dirty, scary etc. Then they go there and what do they find, vagrants around, getting bugged for cash 4 times while waiting in line at the new Tim Horton's in the mall then seeing a couple people get arrested. Unfortunately the result is in their minds, "I have been away from Edmonton for 5 years and still the same old dirty scary downtown Edmonton, actually it may have gotten worse. Might be fine during the work day, I don't know as I am not here but you will not find me here after hours or on a weekend again."
Similar situation happened with myself and the same relative at King and Bay in Toronto while waiting for a coffee at Starbucks. He was asked for change, there were bums on the streets, etc but there were significantly more people around which made the few clowns less noticeable. In fact, he was even pushed by a homeless guy, asking him to "Punch me, I have nothing to lose" yet this did not color his perception of downtown Toronto because there were thousands of people and the activity was what he remembered.

Food for thought guys. Sometimes its the preconceived notions of downtown. If you see something that meets those ideas then it reinforces them. You need to completely dispel then for a few trips and then eventually they go away. Its that customer relations thing. A bad experience and you tell 10 people, a good one and maybe you tell someone else.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
It definitely is and will really take off soon once more of these projects come on stream. I believe the significant activity downtown from the arena alone bringing in people downtown that have not been in a long time over and over again will be huge.

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 5:21 PM
Erik Soderstrom

Worth the six minute listen... Medicine Hat eliminates homelessness?

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/popup/audio/...Ids=2667207068

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 4:12 AM

Went for a walk up and down Jasper Ave this evening and took in what has turned into a shit show. It seemed like every couple of blocks on what were quiet streets there was some inebriated, brain-damaged train wreck doing a slow song & dance in the gutters, or staring blankly at a storm drain, or screaming at both animate and inanimate objects in his vicinity. It probably doesn't help matters that a good chunk of this city shuts down on a Sunday - it's like we're still living in the Bible Bill days. Or that a good chunk of Jasper Ave's sidewalks are in a decrepit state.

I really hope this isn't an impression of Edmonton that FIFA visitors are coming away with.

Need more busy streets. We need more businesses staying open, and need more residents on the streets driving that commerce.

Last edited by Hallsy's Toupee; Jul 6, 2015 at 4:28 AM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 4:32 AM
Community Guy

Amen. We need more people out and about while improving beat frequency and getting appropriate help out on the street.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 1:39 AM

CTV Edmonton ‏@ctvedmonton
WATCH: A #yeg man is pushing for a crackdown on panhandling in Edmonton's downtown. @ashleymolnarctv reports:
http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/video?cli...ylistPageNum=1

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 1:49 AM
Community Guy

Yup, nuisance and loitering folk is worsening.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2015, 12:38 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socguy View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about the Oilers name. It's really a stretch to think that the local team name is going to give the province much trouble. If anything, it's the Eskimoes that are going to have to look at changing their name.
Just heard a story about this yesterday, probably came up during Grey Cup.
Apparently an Inuit group wants the Eskimos to change their name.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2015, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Do you listen or read the news?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2015, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
it's pretty good timing

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton