HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 8:33 PM
DRINK

Still not sure how the repurposed multi arena complex at rexall would work for tournaments and minor or even beer league hockey......people will loose their minds if they have to pay for parking.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Awful awful ideas... the point of Varsity sports is to be part of the atmosphere ON campus.
No Ian - not the point. Your opinion.

And btw, which campus? Foote field? University? Faculte St. Jean? Bay? Galleria?

Maybe Augustana?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 9:51 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
Still not sure how the repurposed multi arena complex at rexall would work for tournaments and minor or even beer league hockey......people will loose their minds if they have to pay for parking.
The business model that Northlands proposed indicated free parking in the North lot

And hey at least you can GET parking there.. Parking at the U is beyond stupid, and expensive

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 9:51 PM
Community Guy

Oh I dunno, main campus like it is now?

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 1:15 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Oh I dunno, main campus like it is now?
On campus athletics do not attract wealthy foreign students....Clare Drake will be turned into a bubble tea study lounge.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
On campus athletics do not attract wealthy foreign students....Clare Drake will be turned into a bubble tea study lounge.
Well we want our University global - and nothing wrong with that. The more I travel the more I am a citizen of the world - with an open mind and heart.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 11:01 PM
Community Guy

http://wpmedia.edmontonjournal.com

Parking dominates debate over new University of Alberta hockey arenas

ELISE STOLTE

After four years of negotiation, parking was the key remaining issue for city and University of Alberta officials trying to negotiate a deal to fund a new twin arena.

Edmonton would contribute $20 million toward the new $65-million twin arena and high-performance sports centre on the south campus. In exchange, it would get more than half of all prime time or evening and weekend hours.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...-hockey-arenas

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 6:10 PM
Community Guy

Pretty big announcement today.

DeepMind has always been a unique hybrid of startup culture and academia, and we’ve been lucky to collaborate with many of the best researchers from around the world. Today we’re thrilled to announce our next phase: the opening of DeepMind’s first ever international AI research office in Edmonton, Canada, in close collaboration with the University of Alberta (UAlberta).
It was a big decision for us to open our first non-UK research lab, and the fact we’re doing so in Edmonton is a sign of the deep admiration and respect we have for the Canadian research community. In fact, we’ve had particularly strong links with the UAlberta for many years: nearly a dozen of its outstanding graduates have joined us at DeepMind, and we’ve sponsored the machine learning lab to provide additional funding for PhDs over the past few years.

https://deepmind.com/blog/deepmind-o...nada-edmonton/

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 3:37 AM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 4:50 AM

““Ian O’Donnell, of the Downtown Business Association, still hopes to convince the province to change its mind.

“Losing an employer of that size is not something we’d be very pleased about,” he says. “But a lot can happen between now and then, including a new government and new priorities.””

Pretty strong political opinion ... is that the official position of the Board of the DBA? I imagine some folks might not be pleased with that commentary.

I wonder what the Edmonton Chamber of Commerce thinks?

Personally placing it at the UofA between Kay and Edmonton Clinic May have been far more strategic. But then maybe not enough space available except to go up up up.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 4:58 AM
Community Guy

'The Downtown Business Association’s primary role is to maintain and increase the vitality – both real and perceived – of the downtown core of Edmonton.'

We have been working with BOMA and the COC to ensure that Downtown is a priority for one of our largest tenants.

Last edited by Coldrsx; Jan 9, 2018 at 5:09 AM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 2:24 PM

Quote:

http://wpmedia.edmontonjournal.com

Parking dominates debate over new University of Alberta hockey arenas

ELISE STOLTE

After four years of negotiation, parking was the key remaining issue for city and University of Alberta officials trying to negotiate a deal to fund a new twin arena.

Edmonton would contribute $20 million toward the new $65-million twin arena and high-performance sports centre on the south campus. In exchange, it would get more than half of all prime time or evening and weekend hours.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...-hockey-arenas
Any news on this? I love Clare Drake but it may be time for a new arena...

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 4:15 PM
Community Guy

They are working on funding, but Drake better not go.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 5:55 PM

Quote:
They are working on funding, but Drake better not go.
UofA can not justify 3 sheets of ice PERIOD.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 5:57 PM
Community Guy

Renovate Drake and add a new practice rink/facility in the old football field. That was the original proposal.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 7:44 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
As an alumnus of U of A I am extremely disappointed in their decision to award an honorary degree to David Suzuki. Sounds like I am not the only one judging by their message posted to their website. Not sure what I will do at this point. Spreading the message and writing the university voicing my displeasure as a starter. I am considering suspending my donations I make every year to the Faculty of Science as well as a protest. It's not a huge amount but I have been donating annually for almost 30 years now and I guess it's time I re-evaluate where my charitable donations go.

https://www.ualberta.ca/news-and-eve...norary-degrees

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
As an alumnus of U of A I am extremely disappointed in their decision to award an honorary degree to David Suzuki. Sounds like I am not the only one judging by their message posted to their website. Not sure what I will do at this point. Spreading the message and writing the university voicing my displeasure as a starter. I am considering suspending my donations I make every year to the Faculty of Science as well as a protest. It's not a huge amount but I have been donating annually for almost 30 years now and I guess it's time I re-evaluate where my charitable donations go.

A number of corporations have expressed concerns about the Suzuki Foundation, and have backed off. He's just far enough into the whackadoodle scale to make it difficult to find sufficient consensus to support him and his group.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
A number of corporations have expressed concerns about the Suzuki Foundation, and have backed off. He's just far enough into the whackadoodle scale to make it difficult to find sufficient consensus to support him and his group.
Suzuki was also a former professor at the UofA's then Genetics Department, and did not even have the respect of the other geneticists within the department. Being able to read 'science' off a script merits an honorary doctorate in fine arts, not one in STEM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post

100% Agree.

U of A....lets give Suzuki who is a vocal critic of Alberta’s energy industry an degree.

This guys position is that the oilsands should be shut down and pipeline construction stopped to protect the environment.

Yet....David Turpin the U of A prez says the Suzuki controversy shows U of A champions freedom of thought.....what?.... lmao.

David Turpin drinking the Liberal Kool Aid.

Here's a thought.....Kick both of these eco warriors out of town.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 10:49 PM
Community Guy

As a proud UofA Arts grad I am somewhat ashamed by what I am reading here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton