HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 8:40 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldrsx View Post
another solid (paid advertisement) on our fair city.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sandram.../#4acda53d4967
ftfy

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 5:37 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
ftfy
How do you know it was a paid contribution?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
How do you know it was a paid contribution?
because she is a "free-lance" journalist whose site ( https://sandra-macgregor.com/ ) invites you to ask for a quote if you like her writing (if you like my work, please contact me to get a free quote).

it's pretty common in that world (travel, food, etc.) and elsewhere that the client footing the bill is paying the writer for the article.

"Forbes has a vast network of 1,500 contributors; only some are paid. The site announced it will now pay contributors $250 a month and drop the ones who are least popular. How will that affect quality? As it turns out, not much. A bit of background: Just about anyone could get to be a Forbes contributor. Forbes never edits those contributor posts. (My cousin, the economist Len Burman, is a contributor; he once posted an April Fool’s satirical post that was fine with them until it reached the top of Google News and fooled a lot of people.) When you read a post on a site that says “Forbes” at the top, you expect the level of integrity that a traditional magazine creates, but when you read a post that says “Contributor,” that’s not what you’re getting. You have to pay close attention to notice the difference between articles by actual Forbes reporters and from contributors." [emphasis added] https://withoutbullshit.com/blog/for...mprove-quality

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 8:29 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
because she is a "free-lance" journalist whose site ( https://sandra-macgregor.com/ ) invites you to ask for a quote if you like her writing (if you like my work, please contact me to get a free quote).

it's pretty common in that world (travel, food, etc.) and elsewhere that the client footing the bill is paying the writer for the article.

"Forbes has a vast network of 1,500 contributors; only some are paid. The site announced it will now pay contributors $250 a month and drop the ones who are least popular. How will that affect quality? As it turns out, not much. A bit of background: Just about anyone could get to be a Forbes contributor. Forbes never edits those contributor posts. (My cousin, the economist Len Burman, is a contributor; he once posted an April Fool’s satirical post that was fine with them until it reached the top of Google News and fooled a lot of people.) When you read a post on a site that says “Forbes” at the top, you expect the level of integrity that a traditional magazine creates, but when you read a post that says “Contributor,” that’s not what you’re getting. You have to pay close attention to notice the difference between articles by actual Forbes reporters and from contributors." [emphasis added] https://withoutbullshit.com/blog/for...mprove-quality
Ah, thanks for enlightening me Ken. The more you know...

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 5:23 PM

I don't know if this will help our reputation but there was a photo posted on line of Kerry Dieotte and Michael Cooper posing with Don Jr's girl friend at CPAC this weekend.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
I don't know if this will help our reputation but there was a photo posted on line of Kerry Dieotte and Michael Cooper posing with Don Jr's girl friend at CPAC this weekend.
I'm rarely steered wrong when I judge people based on their actions and words, when available, and the company they keep, when not.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 1:37 AM
Community Guy

The DBA, ~25 volunteers, friends, member businesses swept ~18 blocks and picked up around 20 bags of garbage.

I feel good, but wish more of us did out part.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 1:56 AM
SUSPENDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
The DBA, ~25 volunteers, friends, member businesses swept ~18 blocks and picked up around 20 bags of garbage.

I feel good, but wish more of us did out part.

I'll be heading out friday with my truck and trusty rubber gloves and garbage grabber. We cant rely on the COE for a full clean up.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 3:29 AM

I'm not sure if it was just hidden by vegetation the whole time, but there is so much trash left and right of the funicular. Not very accessible on foot either (on some parts) because of the slope.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 3:59 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted May 3, 2020, 7:26 PM
Community Guy

35 volunteers, 50 bags of garbage, another 10 or so blocks swept.

Thank you DECL!

@declorg

Old Posted May 3, 2020, 7:45 PM
SUSPENDED

Awesome to see

Old Posted May 3, 2020, 9:11 PM

^^

thanks for your part in this (and decl's)!

although offset to some degree by the need for them, it's efforts like this that are no small part of why it's good to live here.

Old Posted May 3, 2020, 9:20 PM
Community Guy

That's the infuriating part... people who litter, garbage cans without lids, single-use bags and the lack of general care.

Imagine we had 35 different people each week doing this for 1hr... spotless.

Old Posted May 3, 2020, 9:54 PM

Quote:
That's the infuriating part... people who litter, garbage cans without lids, single-use bags and the lack of general care.

Imagine we had 35 different people each week doing this for 1hr... spotless.
imagine if we had 35 people doing this all the time instead of surveys and public consultation...

Old Posted May 4, 2020, 12:12 AM
Community Guy

Mic
Drop

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 4:13 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 9:53 PM
Community Guy

As per the Mayor's presser, a new innovation/economic development entity is being created with more to come, but EEDC to bridge it in the interim.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 3:07 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
As per the Mayor's presser, a new innovation/economic development entity is being created with more to come, but EEDC to bridge it in the interim.
Hopefully this leads to some new tech companies choosing to relocate or open an office here, as well as continuing to grow our local tech companies.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 6:22 PM
Briareos Hecatonchires

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronron View Post
I'm not sure if it was just hidden by vegetation the whole time, but there is so much trash left and right of the funicular. Not very accessible on foot either (on some parts) because of the slope.
Same problem along the Victoria Promenade (along 100 Ave, across Victoria Park Road from the river valley).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton