HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Honestly the number one thing I'd like to see UW do is build something in front of the Rice parkade facing Colony (it's a hideous parking lot), and also maybe as a part of that do something about the abandoned garage on the surface lot north of the Asper Centre.
Somewhere deep in the bowels of this forum you might be able to located a sexy rendering of a building that was proposed at one point for that garage site (which was at one time a rent-a-car location, back in the bus station's heyday). It never came to pass, though, which is too bad given the site's prominence.

More recently, there was also that rendering of a pencil thin skyscraper for the lot by the Rice Parkade on Colony... it was apparently connected to Plug In ICA before they ended up going to Buhler. It struck me as pretty fanciful... I wasn't terribly surprised when it didn't materialize.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Somewhere deep in the bowels of this forum you might be able to located a sexy rendering of a building that was proposed at one point for that garage site (which was at one time a rent-a-car location, back in the bus station's heyday). It never came to pass, though, which is too bad given the site's prominence.

More recently, there was also that rendering of a pencil thin skyscraper for the lot by the Rice Parkade on Colony... it was apparently connected to Plug In ICA before they ended up going to Buhler. It struck me as pretty fanciful... I wasn't terribly surprised when it didn't materialize.
Too bad for both of those, they'd make a huge difference on the visual appeal of the area.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 7:14 PM

This week's picture update location

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post

My own
Thought I'd add this down here thanks for the photo. Looks like they've topped out at 14

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatland Metropolis View Post
This week's picture update location
My weekly picture fix on the Commons, love the updates..

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 12:38 AM

I'm curious to see how they finish the exposed concrete parts. Kinda hard to tell from the cartoon-like renders.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 2:18 AM
Ignore these four words.

The final product will be black in colour, no?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 3:13 AM

Quote:
I'm curious to see how they finish the exposed concrete parts. Kinda hard to tell from the cartoon-like renders.
Ya those renders are pretty MS Paint-like

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 10:08 AM
▓▒░

I'm surprised at how fast this went up. When I got here for school at the start of September it was still only at a couple floors I think? The massing is neat, and I like how it sits at an angle to Portage. Westbound it's quite prominent once you get past the Bay. I'll be excited to see it finished!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 4:47 PM

Last render from March, prior page, shows true and tried Winnipeg colors..

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...4&postcount=94

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 4:54 PM

^ I realize it's no architectural statement, but I like that building... it helps to shore up the western edge of downtown a bit.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 7:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Thought I'd add this down here thanks for the photo. Looks like they've topped out at 14
Most welcome. Thanks for adding it here; I should have.

I would be inclined to enter this building in the event of a nuclear threat: bomb shelter. It is so damn cold-looking.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Last render from March, prior page, shows true and tried Winnipeg colors..

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...4&postcount=94
But it's weird, like are they planning on painting it? Beige? Looks like those tall concrete walls on the main floor will stay as exposed concrete.

I'd love it if they painted it white actually, it'd be cool to have every building on that block as a big white box (seriously), plus the WAG across the street.

^^ And yeah, it really fills in that big gap between WAG and Buhler Centre quite nicely, and I think that tiny park looks much better without a huge parking lot behind it. Maybe it'll get some use with ppl living there now.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 5:27 PM

Quote:
But it's weird, like are they planning on painting it? Beige? Looks like those tall concrete walls on the main floor will stay as exposed concrete.

I'd love it if they painted it white actually, it'd be cool to have every building on that block as a big white box (seriously), plus the WAG across the street.

^^ And yeah, it really fills in that big gap between WAG and Buhler Centre quite nicely, and I think that tiny park looks much better without a huge parking lot behind it. Maybe it'll get some use with ppl living there now.
It actually looks like a good old fashioned whitewash, but again, it's a render and difficult to tell what color the exterior will finally end up being.

lol, I've never actually heard someone prefer simple big white boxes in the Peg before...

Last edited by Cyro; Dec 9, 2015 at 5:40 PM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 7:29 PM

Quote:
It actually looks like a good old fashioned whitewash, but again, it's a render and difficult to tell what color the exterior will finally end up being.

lol, I've never actually heard someone prefer simple big white boxes in the Peg before...
Well at least their all pretty interesting/different looking buildings with windows lol. It'd be like a bunch of igloos or something haha.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 9:44 PM

I like the white or off-white for this particular building. Matches Buhler and the WAG

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 7:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
I like the white or off-white for this particular building. Matches Buhler and the WAG
And the glass manufacturer behind it is also a big white brick building.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 1:50 PM

UofW residence apartment thing. Nearing completion

Thx. for the pic..

Well, it is what it is. It serves a purpose for this area of downtown. Not much to say about it's over all appearance..It's an apartment block built in the tried and true tradition of countless other apt. blocks familiar to Peggers..

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 2:34 PM

It's a basically government funded building. Cinder block and concrete construction, which is perfectly fine. At least the narrow windows running up the building are zig zag patterned! I really don't mind it. Better than the ALT tower IMO.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 2:34 PM
BANNED

It is unfortunate that, based on renderings, it will look like it is cladded in drywall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan