HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Thanks Earl.

What made it so bad.....besides the design. (the headlights look like beady little eyeballs)

__
A remarkable proclivity for falling apart, with or without the impetus of a collision or rollover. Oh, and the fuel tank was in the back with the engine, so they loved to catch on fire in rearenders.

People raced these things when I was a corner flagman for the SF region of the SCCA. We hated them. If you rolled one they shed parts (like doors) all over the place, which we had to pick/sweep up. The only car we disliked more were Triumph TR2s, which had a nasty habit of flinging their spare tires at you in a rollover.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 9:10 PM

very interesting....thanks Earl.

We've seen many photographs of Chavez Ravine on NLA, but I don't believe we've seen this intriguing photograph.

If you look at it closely you notice a police car parked on the closest horizontal street, another on the next horizontal street, a third on the far-right edge of of the image
and a fourth police car up the road a bit on the far left. The large trucks say Republic Van Lines on their sides. People are being moved out to make way for the Dodgers,
who picked up this prime piece of real estate for a song. The LAPD is on the scene to make sure there's no trouble.

www.collectorsweekly.com

"This is a photo from the Los Angeles Herald Examiner's photo morgue. It was shot in the late 1950s, as residents of Chavez Ravine were forced to sell their property
in the face of prices that got lower every day (the gambit was calculated to force homeowners to panic and sell fast, which many did)."

from http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stor...dodger-stadium
__

Here's an enlargement of the center of the photograph.

detail

I just noticed a fifth police car. (red arrow above)

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 22, 2016 at 9:28 PM.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Here's another cabinet card that's quite outstanding in it's clarity. (I posted it extra-Large; there may be an insignia on the buttons)

https://cabinetcardgallery.wordpress...g/los-angeles/

This handsome man is wearing a military uniform that I haven't been able to place. I thought perhaps someone here on NLA might recognize it.

And as you can see, the photography studio is Blanchard of Los Angeles, Cal

I located two Blanchards that were photographers in the 1897 Los Angeles city directory.

lapl

The first one is Gilbert E. Blanchard, r. 203 S Hill

and the other is James B. Blanchard at Plaza Gallery, 513 N. Main (r. sw cor. of Sunset Boulevard and Lucile)
lol...at first I thought Lucile was his wife, but it's a street.

Out of curiosity I typed "Lucile street, Los Angeles" into Google_Maps.
(but the only result is down in Marina Del Rey)

__
RE:The Uniform the soldier is wearing. It appears to be a US Army Enlisted Dress Uniform from 1883 to about 1885 (the later Indian War Period) He is a sergeant, obviously, but not in the Army all that long or he would have hashmarks below his sergeant's chevrons on his sleeve for tours of duty. The white piping and collar shows him to be infantry. The sergeant's chevrons would be in gold thread.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Once more...

And if that wasn't bad enough JD, at one point in time it was painted BROWN!

www.cardcow.com

At first I thought the postcard company messed up it's colors, but then I noticed the blue cars. (if it was a misprint, they'd be brown too, right?)

...and i just noticed, the number 1746 is missing. (it's clearly visible in the top card)

So what's the make of that smaller blue car?

the various amenities

cardcow

I'm trying to wrap my mind around the fact that there were 92 units! (60 with kitchens)

It just doesn't seem possible.

Here's HossC's 1986 aerial again.

Ok, now that I've compared the size of the bungalows to the neighboring houses, I see that they're rather large,
so perhaps 92 units is feasible.

(I have to laugh at myself, I was thinking perhaps 10 units...at max 20, if the bungalows were duplexes)
__

pano from this

cardcow

_
OH...MY...GAWD...that eyesore was painted BROWN?

And agreed, the idea that there were 92 units (60 with kitchens) contained within those bungalows doesn't seem even remotely possible. Shaking my head. Surely there must've been some very large annex or adjoining complex.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 9:52 PM

Quote:

http://vinson.hagleyblogs.org/2013/05/

Thanks Earl.

What made it so bad.....besides the rather unattractive design. (the headlights remind me of beady little eyeballs)

-& I'm not sure why Frida Kahlo is in the ad .
__
I remember that one, the principal of my elementary school had one, only it was a lovely...beige

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 10:32 PM

Woodrow Wilson and LA's First Auto Proving Ground

A while back e_r posted a photo from President Wilson's visit to LA in September 1919. We have a much better
view of the driver than the driver had of what was in front of the car:

Quote:
President Wilson, taken on 12th St. near S. Hope. Sept. 20, 1919, Los Angeles Calif.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-191...item5420b978f4

GW posted a few photos from the same presidential visit. Can anyone tell what kind of car Wilson is in?
Make your guess now before scrolling down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

All LAT

Wilson's driver, visible in e_r's photo, was a guy named Frank Albright, and the car was a Marmon Model 34:

September 27, 1919, Los Angeles Herald @ CDNC

Here's another photo (there's also a short article at the link):

October 1919 The Marmon News @ HathiTrust

In e_r's photo, Wilson's car has just turned from south on Hope Street to east on 12th Street. The building behind
Wilson in e_r's photo is the green church at the bottom center of the map. Please note the intersection of Hope and
11th Street (at the center of the map), the auto dealerships on the NE and SW corners of 11th and Hope, and the
adjacent empty lots on the south side of 11th between Hope and Grand:

1921 Baist Map @ Historic Mapworks

Just a minute or so before Wilson had his photo taken at 12th and Hope, while passing by 11th and Hope, he saw
and read a sign:

September 27, 1919, Los Angeles Herald @ CDNC

The "bad road" had been planned earlier in the month. All the ads I found said Overland was at 11th and Hope,
so I'm not sure if Overland was on the NE or SW corner:

September 6, 1919, Los Angeles Herald @ CDNC

There was an article on the "bad road" in the February 1920 The Architect and Engineer of California:

HathiTrust

And here's the "bad road," looking south from the north side of 11th Street. I guess it's more like a temporary obstacle
course that would be built for an auto show, but the 1919 version. In the foreground there are steps on each side of
the alley that bisects the property. To the left is a patch of "rough road" and some railroad tracks. To the right is a
33-1/2-foot turning circle. Curbs and other obstacles dot the rest of the course.

This photo looks north at the turning circle and the building on the north side of 11th Street:

The car seems to be driving through some kind of obstacle here. We're looking east, with the homes on the
east side of Grand Avenue in the background:

I don't know how long the "bad road" was there, but it was popular enough that Willys-Overland built one in San Francisco too.

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Jul 22, 2016 at 10:38 PM. Reason: forgot to add link

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 3:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstuff View Post
I remember that one, the principal of my elementary school had one, only it was a lovely...beige
Quote:

http://vinson.hagleyblogs.org/2013/05/

Thanks Earl.

What made it so bad.....besides the rather unattractive design. (the headlights remind me of beady little eyeballs)

-& I'm not sure why Frida Kahlo is in the ad .
__
Thanks ER for the original post.

The Principal of my grade school in San Gabriel had this car.

Mr. Petengall's car. He once threatened to paddle my behind because I hit a girl in the mouth [after she made some rude remark to me...a 9 year old kid. woo hoo.!!].
Her name was Ann...smart girl.
He tried to scare the students so they would behave. Greasy hair, city slicker type guy. He quit later that year.

CD file

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Jul 23, 2016 at 3:42 AM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Sadly, the 2011 image shows an empty lot. Now you'll just find the wall of a playground, possibly connected with the MacArthur Park Primary Center at the northern end of the block.

GSV
Yeah, that's the playground of MacArthur Park Elementary School, added on to the Primary Center. We built 125+ new schools between 2007 and 2012, and unfortunately a lot of really cool stuff got bulldozed and replaced with... well... a bunch of ugly, badly built schools. Kind of depressing.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 6:47 PM

Originally posted by Flyingwedge

Excellent post on the 'bad road' FW!
____

I have a question about the 1921 baist map you posted. (shown below)

What do you suppose the large area labeled 'Dad's Survey' is all about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post

1921 Baist Map @ Historic Mapworks

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 7:09 PM

This may be a good time to mention that I recently came across a copy of the 1921 Baist map in the USCDL. They've scanned each page separately rather than each plate, and the images can be zoomed further than the version at Historic Map Works. At the moment there's no sign of the 1910 or 1914 maps.

Here's the area from Flyingwedge's post. I think it actually says "ORD'S SURVEY".

USC Digital Library

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbange View Post

Yeah, that's the playground of MacArthur Park Elementary School, added on to the Primary Center. We built 125+ new schools between 2007 and 2012, and unfortunately a lot of really cool stuff got bulldozed and replaced with... well... a bunch of ugly, badly built schools. Kind of depressing.
Thanks for the extra information, jbange.

----------------

Today's Julius Shulman post shows an industrial building. The pictures come with no additional information. This is "Job 2768: Pioneer Plastics Corp., 1959". Maybe the mountains will help us find it.

Here's a closer view of the loading dock ...

... and the pedestrian entrance.

All from Getty Research Institute

Although quite a few of the Shulman pictures I'm finding at the moment are outside of Los Angeles, this matchbook proves that Pioneer Plastics Corp had a base in LA. The building above doesn't seem to match either of the drawings below.

eBay

The 1956 CD lists Pioneer Plastics Corp at 2133 E 38th Street, but I think the Shulman pictures from three years later show a new building. That's the only mention of the Pioneer Plastics Corp in the CDs - I'm assuming that the Pacific Pioneer Plastic Co is a different organization (none of their addresses appear to match the building above anyway).

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

This may be a good time to mention that I recently came across a copy of the 1921 Baist map in the USCDL. They've scanned each page separately rather than each plate, and the images can be zoomed further than the version at Historic Map Works. At the moment there's no sign of the 1910 or 1914 maps.

Here's the area from Flyingwedge's post. I think it actually says "ORD'S SURVEY".

USC Digital Library
Thanks, Hoss (and you too, e_r). It's great to know about the new version of the Baist map that's available.

I recently came across a discovery at the USC Digital Library as well. It's The New Los Angeles Plat Book (1958),
published by The Realty Map and Ownership Service. Here's that same block from the plat book.

USCDL

The north end of the block is vacant on every pre-1921 map I checked, including the 1894 Sanborn (The 1888
Sanborn does not go that far south). The 1909 Gates' Birdseye View of Los Angeles shows a high fence around
three sides of the vacant lot. I wonder what the story of that property is?

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Jul 23, 2016 at 9:17 PM. Reason: forgot links

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 10:19 PM

http://www.bigmapblog.com/2013/birds...angeles-calif/

Do you think it could be part of that nursery across the street on the southeast corner of 11th & Flower?

In all honesty, I doubt it.
(surely the illustrator would have included rows of trees if it were part of the nursery) -and would have labeled it as part of the nursery instead of leaving it blank.

I guess the best clue is the word ORD that appears on the 1921 baist map.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 11:09 PM

More 1958 Plat Map

Since I mentioned the 1958 Los Angeles Plat Map, here is another section from it. This shows the area from 1st Street on
the south (on the left) to Sunset Blvd (on the right). At upper right we have the old Ft. Hill Cemetery, and at lower left
is the 1928 LA City Hall. The map shows the old alignment of New High Street, the route of the PE tunnel under Ft. Hill,
part of the 101 Freeway, and other interesting stuff:

USCDL

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Jul 23, 2016 at 11:37 PM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 1:24 AM

You want to see what this building looked like in the 1930s or 40s?

gsv

That's it just below. (note how the left entrance has curved bricks) -still visible in the gsv above.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-MAIS...MAAOSwnFZXXJAP

Maison Gaston, 7714 Southwestern Avenue, Los Angeles Calif.

We haven't seen a menu on NLA for a while, so I'll go ahead and post the inside.

and here's the wine list on the back.

One last look from the same angle as it appears on the old menu.

detail

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 24, 2016 at 1:36 AM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 1:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
You want to see what this building looked like in the 1930s or 40s?

gsv

That's it just below. (note how the left entrance has curved bricks) -still visible in the gsv above.

__
I like the way a drawing can make a little building appear huge.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 2:04 AM

Demolition is temporarily halted for Walt Disney's first Los Angeles home.

gsv

Property's current owners of Los Feliz home have applied for demolition permit.

Read about it here:
http://la.curbed.com/2016/7/20/12234...sh-los-angeles

and here:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d-history.html

Luckily, the garage that once stood on the property, where Mr. Disney had his studio, has already been moved.

"The garage where Disney created his first animated shorts is in little danger from the wrecking ball. The structure was auctioned off in 1982 for $8,500 to a group of ragtag individuals calling themselves the Friends of Walt Disney. They later donated the garage to the Stanley Ranch Museum in Garden Grove, where it still stands today."

__

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 4:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Demolition is temporarily halted for Walt Disney's first Los Angeles home.

gsv

Property's current owners of Los Feliz home have applied for demolition permit.

Read about it here:
http://la.curbed.com/2016/7/20/12234...sh-los-angeles

__

GSV

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 3:38 PM

I had to chuckle a bit when I saw the 'saved' Disney garage.

http://runningatdisney.com/2015/01/1...isneys-garage/

I was expecting something a little....more....'arts and craft', like the house.

(of course what happened inside the garage is what's important.
_

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 4:38 PM

I recently found this kodachrome slide of eBay.

I believe we're looking south on Olive toward the intersection of Fourth and Olive streets. I believe this is the late 1940s or perhaps early 50s.

eBay

If you look closely you can see the very tall blade sign of the Auditorium Bldg. (and someone does taxes for a living in the building on the right)

further down the block, also on the right side, there's a sign that says 'The Olive' something......probably Apartments.

__

Here's a closer look at the three houses on the left (there might be four houses...it's difficult to tell) -also note the three signs I pointed out.

detail

To see the TAX sign you have to pan right-------->

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 24, 2016 at 4:59 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos