HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 9:49 PM

Wow, I think I am one of the newer citizens Austin on this board; moved here in 2004. I guess that would make me part of that young Austin that everyone wishes wouldn't come here because we are ruin everything. Oh well. It is kind of funny to me that people at the same time talk about how hip and cool Austin is or was, and then hate the new scene of hip and cool. Do we just want Austin to stay the same. That leads to stagnation, which just leads to cities withering away. Young people coming to this city is the ultimate compliment to how vibrant and "hip" Austin still is. Yes we aren't the same as the generation before us. And for that, most of us are extremely happy. There were lots of problems back then too. Don't forget that. The Genral put it best. Austin is bound to change. It will move forward. That is a great sign that Austin is still relevant. And that progress will continue to attract more people seeking the awesome lifestyle that makes Austin so great.

One last thing...
As someone who has tried to closely follow politics and development in Austin, I always get the feeling that it is some of that old school Austin that is really trying to change Austin for the worst. Shady Grove wasn't shut down by us...so it can't be all out fault.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myomi View Post
Wow, I think I am one of the newer citizens Austin on this board; moved here in 2004. I guess that would make me part of that young Austin that everyone wishes wouldn't come here because we are ruin everything. Oh well. It is kind of funny to me that people at the same time talk about how hip and cool Austin is or was, and then hate the new scene of hip and cool. Do we just want Austin to stay the same. That leads to stagnation, which just leads to cities withering away. Young people coming to this city is the ultimate compliment to how vibrant and "hip" Austin still is. Yes we aren't the same as the generation before us. And for that, most of us are extremely happy. There were lots of problems back then too. Don't forget that. The Genral put it best. Austin is bound to change. It will move forward. That is a great sign that Austin is still relevant. And that progress will continue to attract more people seeking the awesome lifestyle that makes Austin so great.

One last thing...
As someone who has tried to closely follow politics and development in Austin, I always get the feeling that it is some of that old school Austin that is really trying to change Austin for the worst. Shady Grove wasn't shut down by us...so it can't be all out fault.
As you can tell, most folks on here are just fine with the progress around Austin. It would be kinda goofy to be on a forum that celebrates Skyscrapers and not get it, if you ask me!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
As you can tell, most folks on here are just fine with the progress around Austin. It would be kinda goofy to be on a forum that celebrates Skyscrapers and not get it, if you ask me!
Pretty much spot on....most of the "changes" to the core values of Austin seem to be driven by mostly long time residents (as mentioned above) who have found themselves in new positions of power. With me being in the architecture profession, I kind of like new things as well, even if they are new "old" things.

I moved here in 2003 from OKC, at 45 I probably wouldn't be considered as part of the "young crowd". My wife has been in the area (grad school at SWT) since 1988 from the Midland/Odessa area.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 3:26 AM

If your looking for some hip cool happenings any given night, just head down to:
http://www.texasfreeway.com/Austin/C...n_bridge.shtml

and check out everyone hanging out down there. Last week there was a rain dance going on, drums and all. It worked!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
If your looking for some hip cool happenings any given night, just head down to:
http://www.texasfreeway.com/Austin/C...n_bridge.shtml

and check out everyone hanging out down there. Last week there was a rain dance going on, drums and all. It worked!
Thanks! This is what I look for...especially drums.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alon504 View Post
Thanks! This is what I look for...especially drums.
Yeah, the pedestrian bridge Austin built in 2002 (Pfluger Pedestrian Bridge) has really taken on a life of it's own... lots of cool stuff just happening down there for no real reason... check out some of these videos --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB6HS1ls42U (drum MACHINE circle for those that find plain drum circles not weird enough)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obRLk-0xRtE (granted, it's SXSW)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4jm8R5i4Co

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUo6eAuRgcM#t=3m32s

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 5:36 AM

Quote:

One last thing...
Myomi, you are part of the reason I am proud to live here, that you also chose to. I may not fit in with the younger crowd anymore, but I enjoy watching them have a good time. What's really cool about Austin, in 20 years this exact subject will come back and you too will pass the torch gracefully and speak fondly of the way it was, and watch the next generation leave their mark on Austin. That's because unlike many cities including NO, there's not many reasons to leave. I can't imagine how much better our skyline will be then, but I know the change will be incredible. This has been an interesting thread so far, thanks Alon.
BTW, I don't mind the term 'hip', but I was never a 'hippie', I was a 'freak'. Hippies were 60's and flower power, peace and love and all that. Freaks were 70's hard core party'ers whose culture came up with Pinto's and Vega's, and Pacer's and practically ruined Harley Davidson with the AMC buyout just to show you what hardcore partying on the executive level can do. You know the designers had to be stoned when they designed the AMC Pacer and destroyed the Ford Mustang. And whose great idea was it to put a gas tank at the rear of the puny Ford Pinto, yep, stoners. Lots of rear end collisions resulting in fires. Come to think of it, some of our buildings may have been designed by a few potheads.

Last edited by the Genral; Aug 5, 2009 at 6:03 AM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 6:04 AM

I think austin is great and beating with a different funk. Living here my whole life a full 17 years almost 18 I know that the future of austin is good.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 3:22 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:

One last thing...
Nativism is a quintissential Texas trait and is only a negative when used in the way you outlined in your last paragraph. Otherwise, don't take any of it personally, especially not in Austin.

Actually, nativism is pretty strongly texan. In Seattle and Portland, the natives generally make a joke about someone being born elsewhere, but it's only for fun. In San Antonio, people my grandmother has known for decades still make fun of her for not being born in Texas since she had the terrible misfortune of being born out-of-state.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 12:37 PM

Austin allways has had people contribute, and the more ivolved people are in the city usually the better it turns out but when it comes to every day life we are suposed to be laid back debaters who only care about helping each other out. So everyone keep on making austin good by being laid back without a care for where people came from but on the character of them, thats what makes austin different.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 10:10 PM
Meh

Ok, you want eccentric Austin? In light of The Austonian working on the mechanical penthouse, on the way back from our vet, we stopped off in downtown. I wanted to get a couple of photos from Butler Park. Anyway, while driving west on Riverside Drive I see a bicycle riding on the sidewalk along Riverside coming off of the Pfluger Bridge. The guy was butt naked! I kid you not. He was maybe in his late 50s. I didn't see his junk, but the guy was definitely naked, or possibly wearing a thong (not Leslie, haha). I did a double take, like, wha??? And sure enough, you could see his butt. lol Considering the recent temperatures, I think the guy may be on to something.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 10:22 PM

That's the thong guy, I think. He wears either a red or white thong, and when he's wearing the white one... watch out! Short haired guy, usually clean shaven. Sometimes he has a trailer on his bike.

And yes, given this temperature I almost hesitate to call that behavior eccentric...

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 11:52 PM

yeah, see him around now and then. Not exactly sure what he is up to, but he rides in no shame at prime time..

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 1:44 AM

I almost fell off my own bike first time I saw him, cause I thought he was naked! Here's to no body shame! ( wouldn't be me!)

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 4:38 AM
Meh

Ok, man, I just knew the guy was naked. lol From most of what I saw, he might as well have been. By time I saw him and turned to look, all I saw was his mostly naked butt riding on the trail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem
And yes, given this temperature I almost hesitate to call that behavior eccentric...
No kidding. I was in Corpus Christi over the weekend, man it was hot and humid. I rode my bike around downtown and along the bay. Sunday I went swimming across the channel near the Lexington. That was nice. By the end of the trip, I was so ready to jump in the water.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Ok, you want eccentric Austin? In light of The Austonian working on the mechanical penthouse, on the way back from our vet, we stopped off in downtown. I wanted to get a couple of photos from Butler Park. Anyway, while driving west on Riverside Drive I see a bicycle riding on the sidewalk along Riverside coming off of the Pfluger Bridge. The guy was butt naked! I kid you not. He was maybe in his late 50s. I didn't see his junk, but the guy was definitely naked, or possibly wearing a thong (not Leslie, haha). I did a double take, like, wha??? And sure enough, you could see his butt. lol Considering the recent temperatures, I think the guy may be on to something.
ewwww! Was he at least wearing a helmet?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin