HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovoni View Post
.. Denver has very little land actually not to build roads/rail anyway. It's landlocked
I think he was making fun of us . . .

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 9:03 PM
Closed account

Well of course he was... but I find answering a barb with a logical answer is an enjoyable form of sarcasm.

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 9:11 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Go By Bus! ...oh wait...

Hey Aaron, if you're willing to chip $100 into the "Go By Bus, Denver" neon sign fund, I'll buy the bus=streetcar argument

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 9:28 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
Yes, if planned like a bus. Otherwise, traffic interaction is generally limited in some way, whether it's by using grade separation or by using an alignment down a limited access road.

The Streetcar in Portland rarely (if ever) gets caught in traffic. Because it's well-planned. The planning used for the streetcar is hardly applicable for a bus since a streetcar is meant to go short distances (under 10 miles per line) so it's alright to miniaturize the environment.

And of course, grade separation works too.

But what do I know? Denver doesn't need to focus millions of dollars in this way-- they've got so much land!
What the hell are you talking about, alexjon? Since when are streetcars grade-separated? If a streetcar is grade-separated, isn't it LRT? Seriously though, many of the streetcars in places like Toronto go right down the middle of the street.

For the instance we're talking about here in Denver (specifically along Colfax), there's no room for additional ROW, and Colfax itself isn't very wide. The only way a streetcar would work is running down the middle of the street.

And no, Denver doesn't have a lot of land. Some of the metro cities do, but not Denver itself.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 9:30 PM
Bears of antiquity

I like Denver-- so many possibilities... they can turn more urban so quickly-- and unlike cities that have a dependence on tourism to some extent, you can actually afford to eat downtown.

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 9:55 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
What the hell are you talking about, alexjon? Since when are streetcars grade-separated? If a streetcar is grade-separated, isn't it LRT? Seriously though, many of the streetcars in places like Toronto go right down the middle of the street.

For the instance we're talking about here in Denver (specifically along Colfax), there's no room for additional ROW, and Colfax itself isn't very wide. The only way a streetcar would work is running down the middle of the street.

And no, Denver doesn't have a lot of land. Some of the metro cities do, but not Denver itself.

Aaron (Glowrock)
Grade separation and dedicated right of way is useful in neighborhood transition zones and areas where you want to cross through buildings/plazas, etc. Doesn't necessarily have to be limited to a street!

Photo taken by RethinkCollegePark on Flickr

While the Portland Streetcar is called such, it's more light-light rail. But don't be mistaken: due to the fact that it generally dedicated to the neighborhood rather than vice versa, it's difficult to call it Light Rail since the speed, size of stations, scale of the vehicles and purposes defy the common definition of Light Rail. That's why there's three different modes of rail transit in Portland, all defined as separate entities.

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 10:09 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

^^^

Is it just me, or is that idiot walking right in front of the train about to become splattered?

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 10:22 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
^^^

Is it just me, or is that idiot walking right in front of the train about to become splattered?

Aaron (Glowrock)
NW 23rd is thankfully inbound, but it would be an interesting accident!

Hasn't happened yet, though!

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 10:06 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Hey Aaron, think you could maybe tone it down? Calling folks pricks and phrasing questions as "what the hell are you talking about" really isn't necessary.

Especially when you're wrong. Sorry, but streetcars have a long and glorious history of not running in the same lane as cars. You don't even have to leave Colorado for a great example. I give you the Fort Collins Municipal Railway:

Last edited by Cirrus; May 11, 2008 at 10:19 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 10:32 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Hey Dan, tell me where there's room on Colfax for a streetcar that is NOT running down the middle of the street...

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 10:54 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Hey Dan, tell me where there's room on Colfax for a streetcar that is NOT running down the middle of the street...

Aaron (Glowrock)
If you're going to argue, understand what you're arguing

We're talking about grade separation in general, not if it's feasible on Colfax.

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 11:02 PM
no its not...

let me do the honors....

Quote:

Aaron (Glowrock)

Aaron, there is room to run street cars, the new Portland variety, in the outside lanes on East Colfax...by eliminating the parking. These type of Street Cars are being considered for eventual 16th Street Mall usage as well as the Welton Light Rail leg. They may even run down to I-25 and Broadway.

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 11:08 PM
Bears of antiquity

You can also place it on smaller adjacent roads, create couplets and even elevate it if you're crazy.

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 11:34 PM
Kiss Wolf Wolf Goodnight

I'm still a fan of putting rail down 16th Ave, closing it off to traffic completely. I know, I know, no one else is, but you guys don't have to ride the 15. For me, it's about getting people back and forth, not making Colfax more desirable.

help me out and improve my city
http://commerce-city.myminicity.com

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 3:36 AM
Robotic Construction

Are they going to remove the short segment of light rail currently on 16th Street when they do Union Station? If so, when they eventually convert 16th Street Mall to a streetcar, will they rebuild that all over again? Seems to me, they might be able to just leave it there and not use it, until later on when it would be simply extended down 16th Street for a streetcar line -- it might save a couple million in work?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2008, 1:18 AM
under the influence...

Interesting story about Denver's Light Rail will be featured on tonight's broadcast of The News Hour With Jim Lehrer (PBS).

Not sure when it's on in Denver, but it's showing in Phoenix right now.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2008, 6:38 AM
Still the one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertex View Post
Interesting story about Denver's Light Rail will be featured on tonight's broadcast of The News Hour With Jim Lehrer (PBS).

Not sure when it's on in Denver, but it's showing in Phoenix right now.
Thanks for the heads up vertex. Here's the link for everyone else.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2008, 11:00 PM

I don't get any sound with that link? Is there another link where I can download the video so I can use a different player?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2008, 1:34 AM
Still the one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
I don't get any sound with that link? Is there another link where I can download the video so I can use a different player?
Here's another link to the page with the video on it. It comes up as a popup there, maybe that will work.

Link

Old Posted Jun 22, 2008, 7:23 PM

Still nothing. I'll just try it at work tomorrow.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West