HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
It's a big site, I figure they'll be able to add a few VIP theatres, those are big money makers for them. Which they do not have at Scotiabank, they have Fifth Avenue as VIP but it isn't truly "VIP" like the ones at Marine Gatewqay. Great choice and evolution of the former Granville 7.
Anything to take pressure off Scotia. I don't care if the movie is the Avengers with dinosaur robots, a sold-out theatre for a 5pm screening on a working Monday goes against the natural order of things.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 4:33 PM

Quote:
It's a big site, I figure they'll be able to add a few VIP theatres, those are big money makers for them. Which they do not have at Scotiabank, they have Fifth Avenue as VIP but it isn't truly "VIP" like the ones at Marine Gatewqay. Great choice and evolution of the former Granville 7.
Marine Gateway 19+ VIP is fantastic. It actually made me want to see more than my average 1 cinema movie a year.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 9:02 AM

Yeah if Cineplex continues to improve Fifth Avenues, Park Royal VIP and adding a few VIP theatres in this new Rec Room concept would do wonders to relieve pressure at Scotiabank. They only cycle like 4/5 blockbusters at a time. Still a great theatre though.

Such a shame how much International Village has degraded since Cineplex's purchase, I hope we see them invest more into it, again it would alleviate some pressures off Scotiabank.

They do a good job running the non block busters, lower tier, alternative indie and foreign movies though, all the need to do is invest a bit in it. It's like they bought it and coasts on good rent, with no CAPEX. Used to be one of my favorite when it was Cinemark who maintained upwork on it.

I actually thought should Cinplex expand with the Rec Room into the Downtown, that International Village right below the theatres would have been a great option, but I saw that further down the line as the area gentrifies and NEFC entertainment district and developments fully finished.

Warren, agreed, out of the VIP theatres in the region, Marine Gateway blows them away. Perfect date site

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Yeah if Cineplex continues to improve Fifth Avenues, Park Royal VIP and adding a few VIP theatres in this new Rec Room concept would do wonders to relieve pressure at Scotiabank. They only cycle like 4/5 blockbusters at a time. Still a great theatre though.

Such a shame how much International Village has degraded since Cineplex's purchase, I hope we see them invest more into it, again it would alleviate some pressures off Scotiabank.

They do a good job running the non block busters, lower tier, alternative indie and foreign movies though, all the need to do is invest a bit in it. It's like they bought it and coasts on good rent, with no CAPEX. Used to be one of my favorite when it was Cinemark who maintained upwork on it.

I actually thought should Cinplex expand with the Rec Room into the Downtown, that International Village right below the theatres would have been a great option, but I saw that further down the line as the area gentrifies and NEFC entertainment district and developments fully finished.

Warren, agreed, out of the VIP theatres in the region, Marine Gateway blows them away. Perfect date site
Agreed, given a few handy j's at that location. It's a good date spot.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Marine Gateway 19+ VIP is fantastic. It actually made me want to see more than my average 1 cinema movie a year.
Don't you wish there is something similar over by that empty lot beside the Main street McDonald's and Main Street Skytrain Station? That would've been great for you, not to mention of the view from the theatre lobby of False Creek and Science World at night.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmaccdn View Post
Agreed, given a few handy j's at that location. It's a good date spot.

err, I agree the VIP rooms are great and all there but remind me to bring some alcohol wipes and purell the next time I go.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Don't you wish there is something similar over by that empty lot beside the Main street McDonald's and Main Street Skytrain Station? That would've been great for you, not to mention of the view from the theatre lobby of False Creek and Science World at night.
No, that's a terrible spot for a movie theater, and I'm still probably going to movies 2x a year at the most. That site does need to be redeveloped though. I'd vote for a condo or office building, with the following at ground level:

1. Five Guys Burgers
2. La Taqueria
3. Whole Foods
4. Tesla Supercharger

Dare to Dream Arnold!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 8:36 PM

11-screen VIP Cineplex opens in West Vancouver
https://biv.com/article/2019/04/11-s...west-vancouver

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 10:20 PM

Not really night life but fits here. 420 is on a saturday this year.

Vancouver 4/20: Cypress Hill to headline free show at Sunset Beach

Organizers shared the news Monday evening in a tweet, advertising the venue as Sunset Beach in Vancouver's West End.

STEPHANIE IP Updated: April 9, 2019

Legendary hip hop group Cypress Hill will headline a free show as part of Vancouver’s 4/20 event this year.

Organizers shared the news Monday evening in a tweet, advertising the venue as Sunset Beach in Vancouver’s West End.

“We are highly excited to announce our special #420Vancouver music guests, the legendary @CypressHill!” the tweet read.

“Sunset Beach. April 20. Free show. Free weed. Free people!”

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...t-sunset-beach

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 5:55 AM

this years event has been cancelled

I never even knew it existed, looks pretty neat

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 10:07 PM

Howard Jones is coming to Vancouver, June 28 at the Rickshaw

Howard Jones (Transform Tour 2019) w/ All Hail The Silence
Presented by The Rickshaw & Tom Dertinger 19+

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/howard-j...RrR5fR2rQDpZeQ

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 10:08 PM

Interesting, Cirque de Soleil is coming back with its big top to the Concord Pacific property on False Creek. I thought the work they'd done there would have made that more difficult.

https://theprovince.com/entertainmen...f-85fbcfb0cae8

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 10:26 PM

Concert announcement: Wu-Tang Clan to play the Vancouver Jazz Festival this summer
Another headliner is announced for the 34th annual jazz festival and it's one of hip-hop music's legends.

STUART DERDEYN Updated: April 29, 2019

https://vancouversun.com/entertainme...-jazz-festival

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 12:18 AM

Vancouver neon sign gone. CAPRICE to be replaced with COLONY a new 500 seat social entertainment venue set to open by start of summer / Granville at Nelson
https://twitter.com/GranvilleStreet

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 4:34 AM
Rational urbanist

Anyone know any more details about what they mean by "social entertainment venue"?

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 4:58 AM

Not much room for patio space, but the front will be completely open to the street. That will be an improvement for Granville Street.

Meanwhile, Main Street has gone full Kits. Colony and Browns a mere 3 blocks from each other.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/2...ver-name-vote/

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 5:12 AM
Rational urbanist

^Sorry, I guess I should've googled. I didn't realize Colony was a chain.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 5:17 AM
retro_orange

Too bad, the Caprice facade was always one of the better maintained on Granville.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 1:07 PM

Colony only has 2 locations right? Browns is significantly bigger and more "chain" like.

Edgelord response on that picture.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 6:36 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Colony only has 2 locations right? Browns is significantly bigger and more "chain" like.

Edgelord response on that picture.
Their website shows 3, with Granville Street to be their fourth. Browns is obviously more of a chain, but I just mean that Colony is more of a bar/restaurant type chain thing as opposed to nightclubs which are marketed independently.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment