HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy de la Sucre View Post
Super, man you living in Trump Tower? That's not the place that someone could just make a simple decision and then leisurely move in, it requires real fund, not some cash bills in wallet but real fund. I guess, let me guess for 3000 CAD per month at least.
Yes, we lived there for 5 months while looking for a new apartment. I remember the rent having been $3500/month for a 1 bedroom furnished apartment on the 32nd floor, so definitely not cheap but not completely outrageous considering the amenities and the location.

The building is going to be re-branded as the hotel announced closing down following COVID, so it is unclear who the new hotel operator will be.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 8:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Yes, we lived there for 5 months while looking for a new apartment. I remember the rent having been $3500/month for a 1 bedroom furnished apartment on the 32nd floor, so definitely not cheap but not completely outrageous considering the amenities and the location.

The building is going to be re-branded as the hotel announced closing down following COVID, so it is unclear who the new hotel operator will be.
Oh my, I never knew until today at this moment...I thought it was gonna last forever...quote Aug 29, 2020 · The Trump International Hotel in Vancouver has closed permanently just three years after opening, and the management company that owns it has filed for bankruptcy.

I was gonna plan to take kids there in the future to show em as a good example for what an over-priced fancy hotel would look like, but,

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 10:42 PM

Many overlook visiting Gulf Islands although they are only an one-hour sailing away from the Lower Mainland. In this first posting we visited Galiano Island few years ago.

Departing from Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal on Friday evening.

Gulf Islands are located halfway to Victoria and they also have a lot of inter-island ferry traffic.

Salish Raven is a new BC Ferries ferry that took over this connection in 2016.

Sturdies Bay is the terminal on Galiano Island.

Only 1044 people live on Galiano Island making it one of the least populated of the Gulf Islands.

Our lunch restaurant had some magazines from 80s and one of them had this legendary ad on it. Those were the times.

Every Saturday afternoon there is a popular Farmer's Market in town.

It is really bizarre to be on an island and still be able to see Metro Vancouver high-rises in the distance across Strait of Georgia.

There are not many places to stay on Galiano Island and Montague Bay Marine Provincial Park is a really nice campground.

There are some nice sunset to be had on a nearby beach.

Galiano Island has a real hidden gem, a restaurant called Pilgrimme. The chef has previously worked at the famous Noma restaurant in Copenhagen and their farm-to-table food is both excellent and inexpensive!

It's a small restaurant in an ordinary residential building in middle of forest. Perfect!

Food needs no words.

There is some great hiking on Galiano Island, like the trail up Bodega Ridge.

Another great trail is up the tallest point on the island, the 314-meters high Mount Galiano.

It's a beautiful view from the top.

Active Pass is the name of the fast-moving body of water separating Galiano from Mayne Island. Many ferry routes go through there, making it a ferry spotters' paradise.

Galiano Island was a nice and slow-paced locale to visit and we look forward to visiting other Gulf Islands in the future!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 1:05 AM
DownTowner

Beautiful! I love BC's Nordic-boreal-forest-meets-the-Pacific aesthetic.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 2:39 AM

Last update to our summer vacation in the Northern BC.

After spending few great days in the Terrace area, it began to be time to head back home. Before embarking on the long trip home, there was still one more place to check out...

From Terrace it is possible to head in all four directions and the less-traveled road heading north is known as Nisga'a Highway .

Nisga'a Valley is the place of the worst natural catastrophe in the Canadian history. Over 2,000 people are estimated having perished in the violent eruption of Tseax Cone cinder volcano which flooded the entire valley under metres of fast-moving molten rock.

The eruption is estimated to having taken place on year 1700 and likely had a connection to the Cascadian Megaquake of the same year. Since Europeans had not yet reached these remote parts of North America, the events of that time are only described in First Nations stories.

Even 320 years later the lava fields are still expanding the entire valley floor.

After the lava fields the highway turns into a forest service road. Should we have known better, we would have turned around and driven the long way back, as this is a very remote gravel road with lots and lots of potholes and bears everywhere.

It was a long and slow 55-kilometre drive to Stewart-Cassiar Highway 37, but fortunately our old car could take the beating.

We came to be very close to the Alaskan border and southernmost Alaskan town of Hyder, but due to the weather and border being closed due to COVID-19, we didn't visit this time. Next time we will surely make a visit to our northern neighbor!

World's largest fly rod in Houston. Everything's bigger in Tex... Northern British Columbia.

We decided to expedite our return to home and only made one stop in Prince George for the night.

Even the road back home is long and mostly through wilderness.

Reaching Fraser Canyon things started to feel like home.

The closer to Vancouver we got, the busier the traffic became. And as we were returning from our summer vacation, most people were only heading out for theirs, as the Canada Day long weekend was upon everyone.

So, altogether our small trip up north ended up being 3,400 kilometres in length which was a lot of driving in only 7 days. I wish the weather would have been a bit better and COVID wouldn't have had so many of the attractions closed, but it was still amazing to see yet another beautiful and lesser known corner of our home province!

Next time we wish to continue heading further north, where the nature will only get wilder! I hope you enjoyed my trip report.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos