HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 1:09 AM
effete latte-lifter

^^Thanks a lot Furry, I was just by Kilian too. I think I might just order it the Green Beanery if I don't find it by mid-September. They also carry Yama vacuum pots, which I know nothing about, the Bodum is nice and big though.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 2:07 AM

^I don't think I've seen that before (the "vacuum" pot-on-pot thingy you're looking for)...what exactly does it do??

Furry - do you go to the extra effort of using filtered water, or distilled to make coffee? I haven't myself, and curious if there's really a benefit. Do you know if the coffee shops (such as P&S) do?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 2:46 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
^I don't think I've seen that before (the "vacuum" pot-on-pot thingy you're looking for)...what exactly does it do??

Furry - do you go to the extra effort of using filtered water, or distilled to make coffee? I haven't myself, and curious if there's really a benefit. Do you know if the coffee shops (such as P&S) do?
Pro machines have water filters built in, so they'd just use municipal water (always with a direct line- whether it's espresso, clover or a regular Bunn or Fetco brewer, it has a direct water connection) and it's filtered en route. For espresso machines you can't use distilled water because the water level sensors need minerals to "know" is there is water present. Some people claim that coffee tastes bad with distilled water but I've always found it to be just fine in home machines.

I just use brita water at home and descale once a year or thereabouts. I'm actually really lazy about descaling but I have a clear sight glass for seeing how much water I have in my boiler and it's not mucked up with scale after more than a year- I thought Calgary water was really hard and I know brita doesn't remove all minerals so I'm not sure why I'm not having issues, but I'm happy not to contend with it for now.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 4:04 AM

^Calgary water is really hard, and we've noticed it seems even harder in Okotoks. High enough quality in both places, however (good enough in Calgary for Dasani to bottle from the tap )

We have a refrigerator with filtered water/ice dispenser now, so I'll have to give it a try.

The reason I asked, was because the last time I bought coffee beans at P&S, I just wasn't as impressed for some reason (compared to the Clover at the Farmers Market...I always buy beans and a "coffee to go"). I did just use tap water though...so, maybe I'll try filtered water next time and see if I notice a difference.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 5:04 AM
effete latte-lifter

The vacuum coffee maker is basically a very simple version of what the clover machine does, minus the precise temp control, it uses a vacuum to speed up the french press process, you get french press coffee with no risk of mud in your cup. Watching it work looks like magic.

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 4:08 PM

^that is cool.

I'll have to try one...let us know if you find a place to buy one in Calgary.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 8:46 PM
Editor

I forgot to mention that on the street level of Harris Homburg I, there is a sign for the grand opening of 'Rush' I remember hearing something about that a while back. A restaurant or bar I take it?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
I forgot to mention that on the street level of Harris Homburg I, there is a sign for the grand opening of 'Rush' I remember hearing something about that a while back. A restaurant or bar I take it?
Is that the new one by the Concord Group?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 4:37 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

New espresso bar at Bite Groceteria in Inglewood finally brings some serious coffee to that neighbourhood- it's not super high end equipment but the barista is a very serious former Bumpy's barista and she was actually sampling shots from Vivace in Seattle (a very reputable roaster). I was there yesterday and was very impressed.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 8:23 PM
not a NIMBY

I was at the Sobeys Urban Fresh store on Fairmount today. I liked it, I would become a regular customer if I lived closer. I'm hoping they'll open more of them.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingforthecity View Post
I was at the Sobeys Urban Fresh store on Fairmount today. I liked it, I would become a regular customer if I lived closer. I'm hoping they'll open more of them.
I wouldn't mind checking it out, but damn is it far away in the depth of Calgary's south, ugh... I still find it funny how they call it "Urban" fresh.... 99 Ave SE, they should be calling it Sobeys Suburban Fresh.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 2:24 AM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by canlefty View Post
I wouldn't mind checking it out, but damn is it far away in the depth of Calgary's south, ugh... I still find it funny how they call it "Urban" fresh.... 99 Ave SE, they should be calling it Sobeys Suburban Fresh.
Hey, that's fairly far north from here.

Flickr

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 8:54 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Had lunch at Artigiano today- spoke to asst manager who confirms a second location is about 6 months away and will be in the Shell Centre. Two blocks from current one and ALSO across the street from Starbucks (in the Westin).

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 10:33 PM
Round Head

^ Spread the wealth a bit! That's three very close locations!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 11:41 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh white View Post
^ Spread the wealth a bit! That's three very close locations!
Do you mean two? This would only be Calgary's second.

And this is how they operate in Van too- there is maybe one block and change from the one on Granville to the one on W Hastings.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 11:53 PM
Round Head

Oh, I misread that. It would nice to see them in other areas other than the CBD too.

One place I'd love to see in Calgary is Le Gourmand. Not sure if it's just a Toronto place. Decent coffee and the best cookies in Toronto.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 6:41 PM

I was in Caffe Artigiano last Wednesday, and the place was lined up to the door, at 9:45am. I was there for an hour and the lineup was strong the whole time. seems to be a popular place

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 3:05 PM

My wife and I had lunch at Nellie's (on 17th) the other day and weren't impressed at all. I've been to the Marda Loop one for breakfast and it was good, but the one on 17th was a bad experience. Has anyone else had the same experience with that one?

PS, it's not the Nellie's beside Melrose, but the one further west.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Ave View Post
My wife and I had lunch at Nellie's (on 17th) the other day and weren't impressed at all. I've been to the Marda Loop one for breakfast and it was good, but the one on 17th was a bad experience. Has anyone else had the same experience with that one?

PS, it's not the Nellie's beside Melrose, but the one further west.
I haven't been to that location, but that's because I've heard bad things...

To me, the Nellies of today can't hold a candle to Nellies of 5 years ago. I stuck with them for a while (usually the 33rd location) but I've come to expect each visit to be a little more disappointing than the last.

I'm a Dairy Lane guy now!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&You View Post
I haven't been to that location, but that's because I've heard bad things...

To me, the Nellies of today can't hold a candle to Nellies of 5 years ago. I stuck with them for a while (usually the 33rd location) but I've come to expect each visit to be a little more disappointing than the last.

I'm a Dairy Lane guy now!
I've been going to Avenue diner lately. I've been impressed with it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation