HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 11:44 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
They should have worked out a deal with MTL for Subban. That would have been a much better win-win for both sides.
Oilers have enough offense in their forward corps. Last thing they need is an offensive D that is susceptible to defensive lapses.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 7:44 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
They should have worked out a deal with MTL for Subban. That would have been a much better win-win for both sides.
Not sure how increasing their salary cap hit by $3/year by acquiring Suban would help the team long term. It would actually hurt them and would likely have precluded them from being able to sign Lucic. All things told I actually think they did okay with this trade. Every GM in the league knows the Oilers are desperate for D and jacked the prices of anything they had accordingly.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 7:51 PM

What about Hall for Weber?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 8:28 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveston View Post
What about Hall for Weber?
cap hit is slightly smaller but still more than Hall's so it would not help Edmonton unless Nashville took something else back.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 9:26 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
cap hit is slightly smaller but still more than Hall's so it would not help Edmonton unless Nashville took something else back.
Nashville wouldn't really need Hall, though, and they'd be leaving a big hole in their D corps. Could Hall play second-fiddle to Forsberg when, and i'm presuming, McDavid's arrival amongst others ushered him out of Edmonton? Nashville likely says no to Hall for Weber.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 9:32 PM

Flames sign Vey, not too sure about this one, just adding some depth I guess...

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 1:20 AM

First the Flames hire ex Canuck assistant coach for the head coaching job, and now the Flames hire ex Canuck farm team assistant coach as their new assistant coach.
And sign ex Canuck underachiever Vey.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 1:58 AM

Chris Kelly signs with Ottawa. $900,000 for one year.

He was drafted by Ottawa in 1999, played for the Sens from 2005 to 2011 when he was traded to Boston (and won a Stanley Cup months later).

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 4:33 AM

One day after signing Matthew Perreault to a solid 5-year contract, the Jets sign Mark Schiefele to a max 8 year contract at $6.125 million per season. Good deal and the Jets have a #1 centre locked up through his entire prime.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
One day after signing Matthew Perreault to a solid 5-year contract, the Jets sign Mark Schiefele to a max 8 year contract at $6.125 million per season. Good deal and the Jets have a #1 centre locked up through his entire prime.
4 year contract for MP my friend (but we have him for 5 as he is still under his current contract next season)

both very solid deals.

now trouba please.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 1:54 PM
arf

And ESPN has put out some power rankings based on draft and free-agency signings for the upcoming season...

30 - Toronto
29 - Vancouver
26 - Calgary
25 - Winnipeg
20 - Ottawa
14 - Edmonton
7 - Montreal

Is Vancouver really that bad? Is Edmonton really that good. Even with a healthy McDavid last year they were maybe a 22nd in the league.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 2:36 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
And ESPN has put out some power rankings based on draft and free-agency signings for the upcoming season...

30 - Toronto
29 - Vancouver
26 - Calgary
25 - Winnipeg
20 - Ottawa
14 - Edmonton
7 - Montreal

Is Vancouver really that bad? Is Edmonton really that good. Even with a healthy McDavid last year they were maybe a 22nd in the league.
I'm not sure why anyone really cares about ESPNs opinion on hockey, but yes, certainly a few questionable positionings on there. Calgary, for example, drafted, signed and traded to fill their biggest needs, more than adequately.

Edmonton, what did they do to earn such a big jump up. Their offends has been near bottom of the league, and the subtraction of Hall and the addition of Lucic likes makes there offense at least slightly worse. The defense may be improved, but is not going to be anywhere near good enough yet to elevate a team with a bottom 5 offense.

What did Montreal do to get all the way up to #7?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 2:58 PM
arf

^Rested Price.

Agreed. Overrated for some of the fundamental issues with the team. Shaw was a nice pickup though.

There's just a whole lot of mediocrity in the Canadian teams right now. It's probably easier to list teams that are worse than figure out anything else.

The suspects would be Carolina, Columbus, Boston, and Buffalo in the East and Minnesota and Colorado in the West. Everyone else looks fine and competitive. Even Buffalo and Columbus should be reasonable this year depending on injuries and curses.

My list of lousy teams in the NHL has Carolina, Boston, Minnesota and Colorado along with probably five Canadian teams.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 12:39 AM

Before McDavid went down, they were competing for a playoff spot.

Montreal was considered a top 10 team before last season weren't they. If Price has a repeat of the year before last season, then I don't think that ranking is that far off.

Calgary and Winnipeg should do better than their predictions.

Vancouver or Toronto will be last for Canadian teams. Hopefully Vancouver doesn't trade away their lottery pick.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 2:53 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Long-time (former) Capitals GM George McPhee named the new GM of the Las Vegas no-names.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 4:22 PM
arf

I'm not sure why people seem to believe Edmonton was competing for a playoff spot with McDavid in the lineup. They were certainly more entertaining and people were more interested, but they weren't better.

McDavid went down during the November 3rd game. They were 5-8 after that game.

They went 4-6-2 in November after that game and 7-6-1 in December without McDavid and 4-5-2 in January. McDavid came back in February and the Oilers went 12-17-3 after that point.

So with McDavid...17-25-3
and without... 15-17-5

Edmonton wasn't competing for a playoff spot before McDavid went down and overall they were a slightly better team at getting standings points without McDavid. Most of this just points to the usual Edmonton mediocrity. It is possible they might have developed something without the injury, but 17 points in the standings over that time frame better? They seem better on paper to me this year, but not by leaps and bounds. That might get them out of the basement of the West, but does it get them past all of Calgary, Vancouver, Arizona, Winnipeg, Colorado and Minnesota to get to the playoffs?

I'll believe it when I see it.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I'm not sure why people seem to believe Edmonton was competing for a playoff spot with McDavid in the lineup. They were certainly more entertaining and people were more interested, but they weren't better.

McDavid went down during the November 3rd game. They were 5-8 after that game.

They went 4-6-2 in November after that game and 7-6-1 in December without McDavid and 4-5-2 in January. McDavid came back in February and the Oilers went 12-17-3 after that point.

So with McDavid...17-25-3
and without... 15-17-5

Edmonton wasn't competing for a playoff spot before McDavid went down and overall they were a slightly better team at getting standings points without McDavid. Most of this just points to the usual Edmonton mediocrity. It is possible they might have developed something without the injury, but 17 points in the standings over that time frame better? They seem better on paper to me this year, but not by leaps and bounds. That might get them out of the basement of the West, but does it get them past all of Calgary, Vancouver, Arizona, Winnipeg, Colorado and Minnesota to get to the playoffs?

I'll believe it when I see it.
Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but I seem to remember them being only 1-2 points out of a playoff spot before McDavid went down and were losing a lot of 1 goal games, and they never recovered after that. I know it was early but still.

I think Vancouver is looking like they will finish last in the west.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 9:59 PM
arf

Well, Anaheim was sucking even more so.

McDavid just didn't fill any of the gaping holes in the lineup. He still won't, but he's a better bet than most of their forwards to be part of something. Wish they could have unloaded Yakupov for a second rounder as well, but that ship sailed a long time ago.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 12:47 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Sauga View Post
Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but I seem to remember them being only 1-2 points out of a playoff spot before McDavid went down and were losing a lot of 1 goal games, and they never recovered after that. I know it was early but still.
This site is the best for settling these types of discussions
http://dropyourgloves.com/games/AnyD...-11-3&League=1

On November 3, the Oilers were 5-8 (10pts) and were 2 pts behind the Sharks for 3rd in the division

Pacific Division
Team Pts
Vancouver Canucks 16
Los Angeles Kings 16
San Jose Sharks 12
Arizona Coyotes 11
Edmonton Oilers 10
Anaheim Ducks 6
Calgary Flames 7 (statistically last due to games played)

Also interesting how Vancouver was in first place at that time.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 5:30 PM

The Jets Heritage Classic jerseys

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada