HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1EK View Post
"The Lorax", [url=http://allandale.typepad.com/allandale/2007/02/rg4n_meeting_in.html]Morrison ... ran for, and won a seat on, the city council on a platform of stopping projects like 7Rio (her campaign ads used a bad rendering of the Green redevelopment to try to scare the old hippies into thinking the condo monster was devouring their city). Morrison was heavily, heavily endorsed by RG4N.

I see no evidence since then that she has become more mature, less reactionary, or more reasonable. Have you?

As for "how could she have any impact on this project" - are you kidding me? She could stop the project dead in its tracks if she got a couple more councilmembers on her side. Yes, the city would lose, eventually, in court, since, just like Wal-Mart's project, the law would be clear (assuming what H20 says is the actual complete truth; I doubt it's anywhere near that cut-and-dry). But, still, you don't think she'd do it? Really?
Based on the Lorax' response I could be wrong about the zoning being grandfathered, but provided the current Density Bonus Program passes as proposed, the project's new zoning would be less restrictive than their current zoning, so they would not require to enter the Density Bonus Program for additional entitlements. The DBP is based on entitlements above and beyond the base zoning of a site, and their current base zoning is tailored to the project.

I am not a fan of LM, but I can provide one example of her using her political savvy above and beyond her political posturing. At her first Council meeting after being elected, the Green Water Treatment Plant zoning (which she campaigned against) was on the agenda. She new the zoning was specified by a Council Resolution from her new colleagues. She did not say a word the whole time so as to not draw attention to herself, and neither abstained nor voted against the zoning.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin