HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 9:06 PM
Ex Houstonian

The only good thing the top .001% of income earners has done for us is bring in these super tall towers to the Manhattan skyline.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 10:30 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgalka View Post
Interesting article ...

Quote:
111 West 57th Street and 220 Central Park South, are scheduled for completion in 2016. Built in the same tall, skinny mold as One57, they have planned heights of 1,421 feet and 1,031 feet respectively.
220 CPS 1,031ft tall? Must be a mistake ... it's likely the EL figure.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 2:19 PM
don't *meddle*...

Another quote from the vid:

Quote:
"Some of these [the 4 SHoP designed towers] go about 1400'."
That's also very interesting. 111W is already 1,400' but he said some. Maybe it's 80 South, which would be perfect. It would create a counterbalance to the WTC and Shvo.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 6:36 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I wonder if its 360 10th Avenue? If so, it would justify the enormous price tag.

I could see it being done too with the enormous floor plates and ceiling heights, and some architectural elements plus mechanical. Although if you ask me, I prefer more supertalls downtown. If it is indeed 80 South Street, that is a plus from an aesthetic standpoint as you mention Hunser, to balance it out.

What excited me is the possible Brooklyn supertall. Between JC and DoBro, my dream of a Hong Kong like feel to NYC is coming true with multiple skylines flanking both rivers. DoBro is like the NYC Kowloon or maybe JC. IDK, but either way, its unreal.

I've been saying this would eventually happen since I joined in 2013.

ShoP definitely deserves a medal. Them and Garry Barnett. We need statues of him because he is NYC's dear leader. Helping build a great city.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 9:07 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I wonder if its 360 10th Avenue? If so, it would justify the enormous price tag.

I could see it being done too with the enormous floor plates and ceiling heights, and some architectural elements plus mechanical. Although if you ask me, I prefer more supertalls downtown. If it is indeed 80 South Street, that is a plus from an aesthetic standpoint as you mention Hunser, to balance it out.

What excited me is the possible Brooklyn supertall. Between JC and DoBro, my dream of a Hong Kong like feel to NYC is coming true with multiple skylines flanking both rivers. DoBro is like the NYC Kowloon or maybe JC. IDK, but either way, its unreal.

I've been saying this would eventually happen since I joined in 2013.

ShoP definitely deserves a medal. Them and Garry Barnett. We need statues of him because he is NYC's dear leader. Helping build a great city.
Yeah, it could be 360 10th ... after all, it will cost ~$3B which is beyond crazy.

And I concure, it will look so badass with two skylines flanking Lower Manhattan. And every skyline has its respective supertall! Soon enough we will have that Hong Kong like feel and also a lot more supertalls than any other city in the world (except for Dubai and Shenzhen).
I just can't believe how fast things are moving forward. Look at Shvo's Downtown tower, it seems like it could start any day now. And Verre and Steinway will rise simultaneously.

I know we've discussed this before, but man it's really hard to keep track. I'm having trouble following 200m+ projects - totally unthinkable a couple of years ago. 2014 was already an epic year, but 2015 will be even better.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 1:55 PM
don't *meddle*...

All supertalls lined up nicely ... with 1WTC peeping through.

Manhattan on ice. View #2. by abochevarov, on Flickr

Hard to imagine it will only get better.

New York, New York!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 2:58 PM
don't *meddle*...

@chris: I've found a pic which shows how great a supertall will look in Jersey City. It will create an awesome "gate" to New York ...

Manhattan skyline
by siddharthya, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 2:03 PM
don't *meddle*...

Some interesting news ...

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...r-in-the-works

New Milstein tower in the works

Quote:
A new spire is slated for the Vanderbilt Avenue corridor near Grand Central Terminal, and it's not SL Green Realty Corp.'s controversial 1 Vanderbilt. Developer Howard Milstein plans to develop and design a much larger new tower at 335 Madison Ave., according to the New York Post.

The existing 1.1 million-square-foot office tower was actually built in 1984 by Mr. Milstein, who redeveloped the 1913-era Biltmore Hotel that his family razed before preservationists could protest. The proposed new tower will likely include a luxury hotel.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 11:31 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Newark NJ has a supertall proposal. I made a thread for it. Approximately a 1000 feet and 80 floors.

O and that pic is amazing. Thats a good gate comparison. Pretty neat. New wallpaper for now.

This is great news. Two supertalls in the news in one day for the region.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 1:28 PM
don't *meddle*...

^ Yeah, it seems like New York is just getting started ... incredible.

Midtown

New York City aerials by nizega, on Flickr

Downtown

Full

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 1:50 PM
don't *meddle*...

Regarding a new tallest for the city (1,600' - 1,700' roof) I wouldn't mind some of those designs ...

http://skyscrapercenter.com/country/china

Suzhou Zhongnan Center, 729 m / 2,392 ft

Ping An Finance Center, 660 m / 2,165 ft

Goldin Finance 117, 596.5 m / 1,957 ft

Pearl of the North, 568 m / 1,864 ft

Jinan IFC Landmark Tower, 560 m / 1,837 ft

CTF Finance Centre, 530 m / 1,739 ft

China Zun Tower, 528 m / 1,732 ft

Those towers would fit really well in New York, be it Hudson Yards or Midtown East. Classy, elegant and not too crazy (like Shanghai Tower f.e.).

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 2:14 PM

All those towers are horribly anti-urban, and would never be allowed per the zoning in Manhattan.

You just mean the rough outline, excluding the tower bases? I do like some of these buildings in terms of rough appearance, but they would have to be significantly modified to fit an urban grid context.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 2:14 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
All those towers are horribly anti-urban, and would never be allowed per the zoning in Manhattan.

You just mean the rough outline, excluding the tower bases? I do like some of these buildings in terms of rough appearance, but they would have to be significantly modified to fit an urban grid context.
Yes, they are designed as towers in the park, I know that. And you're right, I like the overall concept/design.

-----------------
Update: 55 Hudson Yards and 520 Park Avenue, both 780ft/238m tall, are U/C. The city is approaching 20 200m+ towers U/C!!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 8:30 PM
New Yorker for life

Used this photo from sky-surreality to mark potential locations of SHoP's 3 extra supertalls in the city...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 9:31 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

If we add the JC supertall, we almost have the little dipper constellation. Would be an interesting activity to do. Try to match a constellation to a NYC supertall location map.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 10:28 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Yes, they are designed as towers in the park, I know that. And you're right, I like the overall concept/design.

-----------------
[/B]
One tower that I wish was here is the Ping An Finance Centre. Probably the best of the Asian supertalls that would work well in NYC. Minus the superblock, a design similar to this would complement the mass that is Lower Manhattan. Anything that closely resembles its designed would do wonders near the WTC.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 10:35 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
One tower that I wish was here is the Ping An Finance Centre. Probably the best of the Asian supertalls that would work well in NYC. Minus the superblock, a design similar to this would complement the mass that is Lower Manhattan. Anything that closely resembles its designed would do wonders near the WTC.
Yes, Ping An is my favourite too. I actually wouldn't mind if the tower were a couple of 100 feet shorter, say "just" 1600' - 1700' to the roof.
And you're right, it would fit Downtown perfectly.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 1:28 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
All supertalls lined up nicely ... with 1WTC peeping through.

Manhattan on ice. View #2. by abochevarov, on Flickr

Hard to imagine it will only get better.

New York, New York!
Beauty.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 1:51 PM
don't *meddle*...

So far there are 59 completed buildings over 200m in New York. 3 have topped out and 15 are under construction. One building is on hold, a dozen is in preparation and about 50 have been proposed.

Average building height:

- of all 200m+ buildlings completed and topped out: 50028/62 = 807 ft / 246 m.

- of all 200m+ buildings under construction: 14550/15 = 970 ft / 296 m.

- of all 200m+ buildings on hold: 1349/1 = 1349 ft / 411 m.

- of all 200m+ buildings in preparation and proposed: 47815/52 = 920 ft / 280 m.

---------------
Total: 113742/130 = 875 ft / 267 m.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 3:30 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^

Thanks for the stats. Its nice to know that all of the construction, proposed, and on hold account for a 110% increase (109.6% rounded) of the current 200m+ stock. Hopefully if most of those proposals go through, and a good majority will, I'd say its fair to say that the 200m stock will increase by 85% in the next decade. Assuming just those numbers apply which they won't because more will be proposed and under construction in the years to come. 85% assuming some get dropped, but if the current cycle goes strong, than we might see somewhere in the 90's.

Even in the 100-199m category, the city is experiencing a good percent increase of its stock supply.

I'm still thinking about how I'm going to do a new highrise thread if they allow me. I was thinking a thread that can work side by side with the mid/low and this thread. This way, we can better organize NYC projects. With each post corresponding to a project, and a title on the top so its easy to search and reference it back with updates, this way, users can easily navigate new and old news. Like I've been doing with the midrise thread with no duplicates. The OP of the highrise nyc thread has neglected it, and I think its time for a new thread thats updated with respect to the front page, and is a little more organized as theres a lot of unrelated crap several pages dating the year of 2013 and below.

I was thinking a main page where the first post has a huge directory of NYC project threads (links), and we can do something for projects 100m-199m. This thread being for supertalls and significant skyscrapers greater than 200m as it has been. Almost like the CHicago boom rundown, only for NYC.

Last edited by chris08876; Mar 7, 2015 at 3:40 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture