HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Have any plans been laid out for what's actually going to go in the Produce Terminal? I hope it will be a big open space so we can get a legit market like the West Side Market in Cleveland.
Here is the project website and a recent article:

https://www.produceterminalpgh.com/

https://triblive.com/local/pittsburg...redevelopment/

It is going to be cut up into separate spaces, including by the pass-throughs. But there is supposed to be some sort of food market on the 16th Street end.

I note there was a LOT of concern about it running popular local Strip food businesses out of the market. I am sure they had other reasons as well, but I think that is part of why the food market portion may be constrained to a relatively modest space at one end.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2019, 12:39 AM

New ZBA up for 9/19. There's a number of small projects, among which the most notable is a two-unit infill project in East Liberty. By far the biggest though is a new project planned for this area of Liberty Avenue near the old Penn Brewery site. PBT has more regarding the plan. Basically they plan to demolish two of the existing structures in the rear, and turn the other into a 47,000 square foot office building. They will construct a new 274-unit residential building (likely a five-story building on a parking podium) as well. The ZBA agenda lists a 270-unit parking lot, but the PBT article describes this as "structured parking" instead. The developer is the same one who is doing District 15 2.0, and it is using Desmone as the architect for the project.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2019, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
New ZBA up for 9/19. There's a number of small projects, among which the most notable is a two-unit infill project in East Liberty. By far the biggest though is a new project planned for this area of Liberty Avenue near the old Penn Brewery site. PBT has more regarding the plan. Basically they plan to demolish two of the existing structures in the rear, and turn the other into a 47,000 square foot office building. They will construct a new 274-unit residential building (likely a five-story building on a parking podium) as well. The ZBA agenda lists a 270-unit parking lot, but the PBT article describes this as "structured parking" instead. The developer is the same one who is doing District 15 2.0, and it is using Desmone as the architect for the project.

I heard about the RDC project. Didn’t know they took on residential projects but this one sounds cool. Apparently they’re really banking on the busway to generate interest.

In that PBT article you referenced they said they are expecting permitting for the district 15 beta to come through soon and should break ground in the next 1-2 months

Old Posted Sep 1, 2019, 4:14 PM

That's pretty exciting! Herron Avenue has to currently be one of those most grossly underutilized East Busway stations, so TOD around that station would be great.

Speaking of which--I didn't read the full PBT article, but I would love to see plans for getting access the pedestrian portion of the Herron Avenue Bridge around the 33rd Street underpass. It could save a longer walk out to the end of the bridge at Liberty.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
That's pretty exciting! Herron Avenue has to currently be one of those most grossly underutilized East Busway stations, so TOD around that station would be great.
Yeah. Unfortunately TOD immediately by Herron Station would be by nature constrained due to topography and the placement of nearby rail lines. I do find it frustrating though that the area right along Ruthven St - a flat expanse of land immediately catty-corner to Herron Station - is zoned Hillside. While the back side of those parcels does climb quickly, there's a lot of developable land there, which is currently a mess of vacant lots, a few run down homes, and one sketchy leather bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Speaking of which--I didn't read the full PBT article, but I would love to see plans for getting access the pedestrian portion of the Herron Avenue Bridge around the 33rd Street underpass. It could save a longer walk out to the end of the bridge at Liberty.
That would be a nice location for this development in particular, although it wouldn't really be usable for the Iron City site, which should be eventually redeveloped as well, because that section of the rail track is elevated. Ideally there should be stairs added to both sides, which will improve access for both developments (along with providing cross-development access).

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 7:51 PM

Quote:
That would be a nice location for this development in particular, although it wouldn't really be usable for the Iron City site, which should be eventually redeveloped as well, because that section of the rail track is elevated. Ideally there should be stairs added to both sides, which will improve access for both developments (along with providing cross-development access).
And I vaguely recall there was some sort of suggestion like that in one of the numerous dead Brewery plans (a pedestrian stairway up to the bridge).

Of course you need a safe crossing of Herron if you do it that way.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 4:05 PM

Quote:
there's a lot of developable land there, which is currently a mess of vacant lots, a few run down homes, and one sketchy leather bar.
And that "sketchy" leather bar happens to be an extremely important piece of Pittsburgh's rapidly disappearing LGBTQ history that our community has fought to save and preserve. In fact, recently it changed owners and has been able to be revived, which I would consider a rare win.

Do we have to develop everything just because? Or maybe are there some times where you say "this is a piece of culture, it isn't worth destroying" and you figure out another way? I realize it may hurt your eyes to look at it, but there are more components to the "value" of something than how many condos have been crammed into a spot.

Maybe it's more important for Pittsburgh to have ONE leather bar left rather than demolish it for another generic block of LIVE WORK PLAY.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 4:41 PM

I turned my 1950s walk-out basement family room into a leather bar. Totally sketchy scene. Alas, I'm the only customer to date...

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 6:10 PM
You Better Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
And that "sketchy" leather bar happens to be an extremely important piece of Pittsburgh's rapidly disappearing LGBTQ history that our community has fought to save and preserve. In fact, recently it changed owners and has been able to be revived, which I would consider a rare win.

Do we have to develop everything just because? Or maybe are there some times where you say "this is a piece of culture, it isn't worth destroying" and you figure out another way? I realize it may hurt your eyes to look at it, but there are more components to the "value" of something than how many condos have been crammed into a spot.

Maybe it's more important for Pittsburgh to have ONE leather bar left rather than demolish it for another generic block of LIVE WORK PLAY.
Oh don't be so self-righteous, man. It's just a bar. And, btw, it's a part of the "rapidly disappearing LGBTQ community history" because those same LGBTQ community members have stopped going. Like, sometimes "community" members can be so cringe in that they identify some niche bar as a significant cultural place like it's Rosa Parks' bus seat. Most gay people aren't into leather and/or always going to the same bars that all offered the exact same music, drinks, and people and that's why they're fading away, not because of some external conspiracy to close them all down. Now, I agree that I don't want to tear anything down just to replace with the same ish you can find anywhere in town. That being said, dragging out your soapbox to give some bleary-eyed eulogy to gay bar subcultures that don't have a clientele anymore is silly.

The lot is unnecessarily downzowned. It could be developed with a higher and better use. That may or may not include a leather bar. The world will survive without it or another will open if there is enough demand. No need to wistfully pontificate about a leather bar like he suggested tearing down an active women's shelter.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post

I'm not really concerned about the leather bar, rather the giant gravel lot next to it. I agree compared to the vacant lots and the handful of remaining houses scattered about, it is a "higher and better use" though.

Donny's Place does sit at a pretty unique location however - closer to Herron Station than any other potentially developable parcel. There are other development opportunities just up Herron, down Ruthven, or even a bit further down the Busway, so I don't think it going is required by any means.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 6:22 PM

Last edited by eschaton; Sep 4, 2019 at 6:24 PM. Reason: Edit...duplicate, for some reason can't delete here.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 6:44 PM

An amazing looking renovation is coming to Fifth Ave Place! Video walk thru and renderings are on the link.

https://kdkaradio.radio.com/gallerie...illion-upgrade

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 6:57 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebarbaro View Post
An amazing looking renovation is coming to Fifth Ave Place! Video walk thru and renderings are on the link.

https://kdkaradio.radio.com/gallerie...illion-upgrade

Beat me to the punch, but here's the PG article regarding this planned reno of 5th Ave. Place.

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/201909040011

I scrolled through other archived articles regarding office tower renovations that are aiming to improve and enhance working conditions in some of the premier commercial addresses (namely One Oxford Centre, The Union Trust Building, the Koppers Building, 11 Stanwix et al). They're trying to keep up with the commercial development taking form on some of the fringe neighborhoods (i.e: the Strip, North and South Shores, etc), which is pretty smart. I look forward to seeing this come to fruition.

Last edited by Jonboy1983; Sep 4, 2019 at 7:40 PM. Reason: forgot to include link

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 8:41 PM
Ex Houstonian

I hope they put on street shopping/eating there. That indoor mall is simply awful and feels like the 1980's when I've been in there.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 8:57 PM

Based on the two photos (above and below), it looks like there will at least be on-street dining

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 1:16 AM

"Could the Wholey building become the site of one of Pgh's biggest office towers?"

"The company reports on its website that it plans to make use “of advantageous zoning to construct" an office tower with "best in class physical features, tenant amenities and spaces that will ensure a successful lease up and ultimately create the leading Class A office building in the Pittsburgh market.”

An official for JMC could not be reached to offer further details but JMC called the project "the first new tower in the market" on its website, a description that would likely be true for the Strip District if not for the city as a whole.

"Sources last year indicated that JMC was considering a project that could reach more than 18 stories and more than 500,000 square feet, a scale the company declined to comment on at the time.

Now JMC indicates on its website that its project for 1501 Penn Avenue could reach 750,000 square feet. To be sure, it's a project JMC characterizes as a future development that is as yet unrealized.

But if such a project were to come to fruition, such a building would rank among the 10 largest buildings in downtown, slotting behind the 790,000-square-foot Heinz 57 Center and before the 735,939-square-foot Fifth Avenue Place."

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...te-of-one.html

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 2:25 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITairport View Post
"The company reports on its website that it plans to make use “of advantageous zoning to construct" an office tower with "best in class physical features, tenant amenities and spaces that will ensure a successful lease up and ultimately create the leading Class A office building in the Pittsburgh market.”

An official for JMC could not be reached to offer further details but JMC called the project "the first new tower in the market" on its website, a description that would likely be true for the Strip District if not for the city as a whole.

"Sources last year indicated that JMC was considering a project that could reach more than 18 stories and more than 500,000 square feet, a scale the company declined to comment on at the time.

Now JMC indicates on its website that its project for 1501 Penn Avenue could reach 750,000 square feet. To be sure, it's a project JMC characterizes as a future development that is as yet unrealized.

But if such a project were to come to fruition, such a building would rank among the 10 largest buildings in downtown, slotting behind the 790,000-square-foot Heinz 57 Center and before the 735,939-square-foot Fifth Avenue Place."

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...te-of-one.html
I wonder if this has any chance at all of life?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 2:41 PM

I'm happy with an 18 story tower, but how is that among the tallest..??

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post
The article seemed to indicate largest by square footage; not necessarily tallest. And I think the 18-story number was in reference to the 500,000 SF option, so an increase to 750,000 SF would imply more like 27 stories.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 3:17 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post
They are ranking it by sq ft

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations