HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 11:46 PM

New innovation in 'mass timber' means buildings could be built cheaper and lighter

Non-North Americans often criticize the North American fondness and extensive use of wood construction. This is for them:

Quote:
May 25, 2017, 11:54am PDT
Christine Kilpatrick

. . . A number of engineers, architects, developers and contractors are touting the potential of a building material called “mass timber,” prefabricated wood panels that can be cut to precise specifications and assembled onsite. The newest innovation in mass timber panels is cross-laminated timber, or CLT, where the wooden planks are oriented at right angles and glued together.

“CLT is like the rock star of mass timber,” said Dean Lewis, project manager at DCI Engineers. “You can use it for walls, roofs, anything. You can use it in seismic areas, the panels themselves are extremely strong. It’s comparable to concrete.”

. . . CLT panels are made of fast-growing trees that can be harvested sustainably. The panels can also be quickly assembled, saving time and money.

“You only need five or six crew members to lay a 4,000-square-foot floor plate in two to four hours,” Lewis said . . . .

“With mass timber, I could build a building that is one-fifth the weight of concrete and build it three times faster, and build it so it will sway back and forth. It will not crumble in an earthquake,” (wood products manufacturer Kris) Spickler said . . . .

Greater heights, however, prompt concerns about fire safety, Lewis said. Building codes impose an 85-foot cap for wood or timber construction. But mass timber burns differently than stick-frame construction, he said: Only the outside burns, forming a layer of charring that insulates the interior wood . . . .

“It has tremendous spanning capabilities so you don’t have to support it as often,” (architect Mark) Davis said. “You don’t need beams every four feet, more like eight to 10 feet.”

The use of large panels allow(s) the creation of a 20,000-square-foot space with an airy, natural feel. The panels themselves (wouldn't) need to be covered with plaster or decorative wood . . . .

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 6:32 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

aaannnndddd right on the heels of that...get ready for the wood skyscrapers:

AUTHOR: LIZ STINSON. LIZ STINSON DESIGN DATE OF PUBLICATION: 05.30.17.

GET READY FOR SKYSCRAPERS MADE OF WOOD. (YES, WOOD)

Today, on a site along the Chicago River, architects are exploring a new kind of high-rise structure built entirely from timber. The River Beech Tower is a spindly, beechwood building whose 80 stories cut a blonde silhouette against Chicago’s dark, glassy horizon. The concept building hasn’t been constructed yet, and may never be. It’s part of an ongoing research project between Cambridge University, architects at Perkins + Will, and engineers at Thornton Tomasetti that aims to answer lingering questions around how, exactly, architects and engineers might bring these massive timber towers to life.

more:
https://www.wired.com/2017/05/wood-skyscrapers/

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 3:23 AM
somewhere in-between

Looks like Portland will beat Chicago (or anywhere else in the US) to the punch...

Oregon city approves permit for US' 1st all-wood high-rise
by GILLIAN FLACCUS, Associated Press
Sunday, June 11, 2017

Quote:
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — Officials in Oregon have approved construction permits for the first all-wood high-rise building in the nation.

Construction on the 12-story building, called Framework, will break ground this fall in Portland's trendy and rapidly growing Pearl District and is expected to be completed by the following winter.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 5:27 PM

This seems insane to me. Wooden structures this tall are going to have a very short lifespan compared to steel and concrete.

The potential infernos would be nothing like we've seen before, can you imagine how tall the flames could be?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
This seems insane to me. Wooden structures this tall are going to have a very short lifespan compared to steel and concrete.

The potential infernos would be nothing like we've seen before, can you imagine how tall the flames could be?

I'm 100% against censorship as a principle, but when I read comments like this, I feel on some levels, like your keyboard privelages should be revoked.
I realize, 'it's a forum', and you don't need data, or facts, or credentials .... or really anything to post here.

But, this has to have been one of the least educated and lazy responses I've seen on this forum in years.

--
Maybe just a one month timeout for you from the internet could be ok. At least so you don't pollute the minds of people who could read your posts and assume you have a modicum of an idea what the heck you're talking about.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post

Wood can be both preserved and fireproofed. The new engineered wood-based building materials certainly would be or they wouldn't meet building codes.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering