HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I am not familiar with the building in question but old warehouses make tremendously good creative spaces and can lead to really popular and interesting restaurants/bars.

The Lawrence building, now home to Galvanize and The Larry, is probably the best recent example. 515 E Grant was just an old dilapidated warehouse with no reason for survival. Someone with vision turned it into a really neat place to hang out. If they had built the exact same assortment of businesses, in the exact same floorplan but with new construction, it would not have the same interesting feeling. There would be no weathered concrete flooring to remind you of the decades of events which had happened in the building, there would be no aging on the bricks to let you know that you're not just in another generic office building, and there would be no quirks around the patio to let you know you're standing in an old train loading dock that was once a hub of produce transport. Those things are cool. People like cool - well some people do.
This, exactly. I'm very sadden by this building's demise. Simply the window openings with the arched upper brick support style is uncommon around Phoenix but makes for a very interesting building (not to mention the ghost sign).

This could have any number of awesome uses, and that little area of downtown will lose some of its charm and urbanity. Even if a 40 story building would be built in its place (impossible), I'd still rather have this old building.

Last edited by PHX31; Nov 14, 2019 at 5:36 PM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 5:25 PM

That 2nd Street market looks like it's dripping in character. Any new build would not give that feeling. I've been to Dayton a few times but never to that place, will put it in my book for the next visit. Columbus, Omaha and Oklahoma City are three towns in the midwest that I think did a great job keeping their historic building stock intact and creating exciting areas to play.

I wish I had a little more money, I've been trying to find one more investor so I can find a space in the warehouse district to open something like Royal Palms in Chicago. This is the kind of thing that just would not work in a new building, for example. https://www.royalpalmschicago.com/

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 5:41 PM

There are a couple interesting warehouse buildings a little out of the way on Buchanan and 2nd Ave. The one at 435 S. 2nd Ave sometime in the past couple of years had it's original window openings brought back to life. Even though that building is behind fencing and a part of a larger site, it now looks great and improves the area.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4432...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 5:47 PM

We have done photoshoots in front of the white/yellowish building at 410 S 2nd Ave a number of times.

I always like this street and see such a long-term prospect of an entertainment street like Bricktown in OKC. https://goo.gl/maps/z8YhqkUjw4BeydJ79

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 6:07 PM

/\ Very cool, if only that could be somewhere north of the tracks and east of the 7th Ave viaduct......

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 6:12 PM

With the new apartment building going up at 7th and Lincoln it may not be as far off as you think. I have been talking to a couple of guys who want to buy in there but property owners are already asking too much. Everyone thinks they're sitting on gold.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Columbus, Omaha and Oklahoma City are three towns in the midwest that I think did a great job keeping their historic building stock intact and creating exciting areas to play.
I spent some time in The Old Market area of Omaha a couple of months ago. There is a lot of great building stock and tons of great and unique uses. If only that god-awful Conagra campus would have never been built. That would make me sick if I was from Omaha.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 7:33 PM
Skyriser

That building is old, two stories, and part of a dwindling stock, but that's about it. There is very little that's architecturally redeeming about this building and with a completely new roof and wouldn't be that cool if it were converted. It could contribute to the historic era, but doesn't define it.

ADA rehabs and appropriate ingress/egress for a higher occupant load makes this a tough restoration proposal as well. They'd probably have to rip into the walls, further wrecking the tiny bits of character it has left.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 11:13 PM

Some Generic Speculation about what may happen to St. Lukes Medical

I hope somebody buys it and gives it a face lift.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...-hospital.html

What's next for the St. Luke's campus after hospital closes this month

Quote:
As hundreds of St. Luke's Medical Center employees look for new jobs as the hospital winds down operations ahead of its Nov. 24 closure, brokers are busy looking for potential new tenants for what will be left of the property.

Dallas-based Steward Health Care System filed a notice with the Arizona Department of Economic Security that it will lay off 655 workers at St. Luke's. The company filed a Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act, or WARN, notice, which requires employers to provide 60 days notice of covered mass layoffs.

While those health care workers are seeking employment elsewhere, the hospital's nine-story structure will be available for a new user. Julie Johnson, executive vice president of Colliers International in Phoenix and a long-time medical real estate broker, said the former hospital could be renovated into affordable senior living housing or apartments.

There is a growing need for affordable senior housing for many baby boomers who don't have enough accumulated wealth to sustain their health care and housing needs, Johnson said.

"Another industry that has been active in some of these vacant inpatient residential-type facilities has been foster care," she said.

For example, she pointed to a behavioral health campus in escrow at 111 Hearthstone Way in Chandler. A potential buyer wants to turn that property into a foster care and group home.

That 2.35-acre parcel near Loop 101 and Chandler Boulevard contains seven separate homes totaling 13,718 square feet, said Tim Dulaney, senior vice president of Colliers International, who has that property listed.

Birmingham, Alabama-based Medical Properties Trust Inc. (NYSE: NPW) owns the 266,000-square-foot St. Luke's hospital and the land around it. The St. Luke's Behavioral Health Center also on that campus will remain open and fully operational, as will Tempe St. Luke's Medical Center.

The need for behavioral health care services in metro Phoenix remains strong. When Dallas-based Tenet Healthcare Corp. (NYSE: THC) closed its Abrazo Maryvale Campus, 5102 W. Campbell Ave., in 2017, Phoenix-based Valleywise Health bought the property for $7 million, sunk $68 million in renovations into the building to transform it into a behavioral health facility and emergency department.

But Michael Murphy, Valleywise Health communications director, said the there are no current plans to buy St. Luke's.

Instead, Valleywise Health — which changed its name from Maricopa Integrated Health System in October 2018 — is moving ahead with its transformation of the community's only public teaching hospital a few blocks away.

"That includes preliminary work on a new acute-care hospital at 24th Street and Roosevelt; continued expansion of Valleywise Behavioral Health Center-Maryvale; and construction of an outpatient primary and specialty care center in Peoria and new community health centers across Maricopa County," Murphy said. "These innovations will allow Valleywise Health to serve more patients than ever, including those affected by the closure of St. Luke's Medical Center."

Carolyn Johnson, co-chair of the newly created Distressed Healthcare Restructuring Group at Dickinson Wright PLLC in Phoenix, said she's seeing more distressed health care properties as a result of closures.

"I think it does epitomize the wave of health care distress in hospitals," she said. "You're gonna see a continuous wave of distress in that industry."

Facing $7.2 million in losses during 2018, St. Luke's only had 70 patients in the hospital out of a total capacity of 219 on any given day, according to a letter from President James Flinn posted on the St. Luke's web site.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 1:23 AM
Modulator

Link 2 definitely getting ready to break ground. Fence is up and the staging area across the street has been fenced up again with workers finishing up the fence

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 2:56 AM

Small updates:

New Roosevelt Diner concept is open; 3rd time's the charm I guess. They are open at 7 am, so for you breakfast rats, here's a new place to check out!

Habenero's, which shared the space with Jimmy John's, is now Taco Boys.

Tammie Cookie Co in Artisan Village is under renovation. Heard somewhere it is going to become a pizza place?

Axiom Bar, the former Grateful House on 6th St and Roosevelt, is under full renovation. Fencing is up around the entire property, including the small surface parking. Hoping this becomes a patio ala Wilderness or garden.

New landscaping around Bliss ReBar and adjacent 2-story apartments looks very impressive!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Habenero's, which shared the space with Jimmy John's, is now Taco Boys.
Is this a rebrand? Or did they close up shop? I loved Habanero’s, their churros are amazing and it was the closest location.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiesthelimit View Post
Is this a rebrand? Or did they close up shop? I loved Habanero’s, their churros are amazing and it was the closest location.
Not sure, but I think they left entirely. Other locations are still open for all your churro delights!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Small updates:

New Roosevelt Diner concept is open; 3rd time's the charm I guess. They are open at 7 am, so for you breakfast rats, here's a new place to check out
Wait...which concept? Are you talking about Be coffee? Jobot? Who?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRay View Post
Wait...which concept? Are you talking about Be coffee? Jobot? Who?
A new Roosevelt Diner is in the old Welcome Diner spot on 10th St and Roosevelt. New people, same owner. The chefs running it are local Garfield blood and they seem pretty passionate to run the place.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 4:16 PM
Modulator

Phoenix Business Journal article on downtown renovations. Posting here since this has a little bit of development news, including US Bank getting a facade upgrade. Can't wait to see what they have planned.

Quote:
By Corina Vanek – Reporter, Phoenix Business Journal
Nov 15, 2019, 4:50am MST

To stay competitive, especially as buildings like Block 23 open, owners of downtown buildings will have to invest in large-scale renovations to attract tenants looking for the office quality and amenities afforded by newer buildings.

A massive renovation still underway at downtown’s largest office complex, Renaissance Square, has turned the complex built in 1987 on the northeast corner of First Avenue and Washington Street into a “brand new building,” said Andrew Cheney, principal at Lee & Associates in Phoenix, who is in charge of leasing at the complex. The renovation has been worth more than $50 million.

“They’ve made everything new and cool,” Cheney said of the building’s ownership, Cypress Office Properties LLC and Oaktree Capital Management LP.

The renovation included building about 80,000 square feet worth of move-in-ready spec suites, including an effort called “Project Future,” where architects were given free rein to design spec suites for different types of tenants, including a law firm and a technology company. Now, there is one vacancy at the Project Future suites, which had been fully occupied, Cheney said.

“Tenants want cool, new space,” Cheney said. “When you walk into this building, it feels like it’s brand new.”

Often when tenants tour a building and are looking for new space, they want something they can move into right away.

“Especially the smaller tenants. They want something that’s ready to go,” Cheney said.

Both Renaissance towers’ ground-floor lobbies were redone during the renovation, and restaurant space was turned into office space. A third-floor tenant lounge was added, and meeting spaces and areas with games were built on the first floor. The building always had a gym, but it was also renovated during the remodel.

“The full-service gym has been a huge advantage for us,” Cheney said.

The two towers that comprise Renaissance Square total just under 1 million square feet, according to data from the Business Journal’s Book of Lists.

Jorge Escobar’s Black Salmon firm also is planning a $9 million renovation at the 101 North tower, on the southeast corner of First Avenue and Monroe Street.

“We definitely want to differentiate our building downtown from all the others,” Escobar said of the building, which was constructed in 1976.

Plans for the renovation include updating the building’s facade, common areas and lobbies, plus adding a fitness center and building out spec suites.

Corey Hawley, a first vice president at CBRE, handles leasing for the Monroe Building at 111 W. Monroe St., which has already undergone a major renovation, which is not yet complete.

“Downtown keeps getting better every day, adding more restaurants and multifamily,” Hawley said. “Leasing is going to pick up because the product type continues to get better.”
Source: https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...n-phoenix.html

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 4:25 PM

nm

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Phoenix Business Journal article on downtown renovations. Posting here since this has a little bit of development news, including US Bank getting a facade upgrade. Can't wait to see what they have planned.

Source: https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...n-phoenix.html
i personally think Renaissance Square is STILL *by far* the best looking towers in Phoenix. Still wish they had gone 50 floors and one building as the design lends itself to serious height. But it's still a gorgeous pair of buildings that have aged very well. Kinda like the former ARCO towers in LA from '83 or so.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 5:14 PM

AZ Central has figured out how to block non subscribers from viewing some content. I used to open things in incognito mode but now they say "for subscribers" and that doesn't work.

The article I want to read is about an upcoming resurgence in Miracle Mile (McDowell and about 18th Street) with a rendering of a distillery.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 5:22 PM

Meet Miracle Mile, the Phoenix historic district primed to be your next dining dest.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...ll/3979848002/
Quote:
As cars whiz down McDowell Road, open signs glow in the windows of local businesses beckoning drivers to slow down and stop inside.

The section of McDowell Road from 7th Street to State Route 51 was once a bustling shopping and dining district. Now the stretch, which links downtown Phoenix to the highway, connects drivers to where they need to go. It doesn't, however, entice many to stop.

A recent influx of new shops and restaurants has residents and business owners hoping that will change. La Marquesa Mexican restaurant opened close to the freeway in May. The owners of Tacos Chiwas, a locally-owned and popular Mexican restaurant, are building a new location in the area. Rise Distilling, a distillery and restaurant, is on the way.

According to Michael Kelly, the commercial corridor coordinator for McDowell Road, there are seven Mexican restaurants from 16th to 20th Streets.

"There's been a lot of folks that have taken the risk," he says.

While most of the new developments are eagerly awaited by business owners and neighbors excited to see the area undergo a renaissance, some of the projects have caused controversy or faced battles with the community as they progress.

Despite the challenges, most community members agree: the Miracle Mile on McDowell is on its way to revitalization.

Rise Distilling Co. is set to open along McDowell Road in 2020. A rendering shows plans for the exterior of the building.

In the late 1940s, businesses set up shop along McDowell Road to connect downtown Phoenix's business districts with the residents living nearby in historic Coronado and Garfield neighborhoods. The area quickly grew into one of the busiest areas for local stores and restaurants in Phoenix and was dubbed the Miracle Mile.

In 1957, however, Phoenix's first mall opened on Central Avenue and Osborn Road to the north of downtown. The opening of the new shopping center, Park Central Mall, preceded a decline in business for the Miracle Mile. As Phoenix expanded and the growing suburbs drew families farther away from downtown, the Miracle Mile became increasingly seen as a thoroughfare and not a destination.

In 1989, McDowell Road was widened, street parking was eliminated and the speed limit increased, making it even harder for small businesses to draw customers inside.

But downtown Phoenix is growing. People are moving back into the city center and businesses are spilling over, once again, onto McDowell Road.

How restaurants are driving growth

Located in the middle of the Miracle Mile Mall, a stretch of shops on the east edge of the Miracle Mile, Mansion Furniture has been a mainstay on McDowell Road for more than ten years.

Owner Andres Fajardo and his brother reopened their parents' furniture business at its current location on McDowell in 2008. The business had previously operated multiple Valley locations for almost 20 years.

"We like the area because it's centrally located, not too far from any of the sub-cities, and the price was really affordable," Fajardo says.

In the time since they opened, Fajardo says the biggest improvements to the area have been made in the last three years. It's driven more business to the furniture shop, he says.

Fajardo credits the uptick to the new restaurants that have opened along McDowell. Customers wanting to try new food options travel from around the Valley, helping bring in business from different areas of the city, he says.

Along with multiple new restaurants, Fajardo has noticed an increase in new stores joining the area as well. The furniture store will soon have two new neighbors, a barbershop and dance studio, along with multiple new businesses that have popped up just across the street in recent years.

What new restaurants are on the way?

A large black and white mural featuring a woman's face looking out from an array of bight cactus and desert plants adorns the side of a building at the corner of McDowell Road and 20th Street.

The mural is one of the first projects Matthew Bingham tackled in the process of fixing up the building. The space will eventually house a distillery, tasting room and full-service restaurant called Grain and Bottle, which will serve new American food with a Southwestern twist.

Bingham looked all over the city before deciding that Miracle Mile was the perfect spot for his new business. At his day job, Bingham works at the Phoenix Children's Hospital, just minutes from the Miracle Mile.

Over the 13 years, he's worked in the area, Bingham has lunched at restaurants along McDowell.

"You can tell the neighborhood wants to be revitalized," Bingham says.

He bought the building in October 2017. It was originally built in 1955 and construction is set to start early next year. He hopes to restore the space and showcase its historical roots.

Another historic re-development, the Clio on McDowell, is currently under construction and searching for tenants. The project is an adaptive reuse of an old strip mall and when finished, includes plans for two stores along and a restaurant.

"It's good to see that there are some projects starting to fill in the vacancies," Bingham says. "But there's still a lot to be done."

Thank you for subscribing. This premium content is made possible because of your continued support of local journalism.

Walkability is an obstacle for business owners

Enter the strip mall on the northwest corner of McDowell Road and 18th Street and you'll find a bookstore, two art and gift stores and, soon, a coffee shop.

A currently vacant space occasionally hosts La Bohemia coffee pop-ups, soon to be a permanent cafe. Next door is Galeana 39. This store, owned by Curtis Parhams, sells candles, jewelry and art and opened about three years ago.

"Before, there was a lot of riff-raff and that has cleaned up now," Parhams says of McDowell Road. "There's a lot of stuff coming in and I'm really excited."

The improvements are thanks in no small part to the McDowell Road Revitalization Committee, a major force in the push for bettering the commercial corridor. The committee is made up of community members from local nonprofits and city organizations and has been meeting regularly for four years.

Joel McCabe, chief operating officer and vice president of Trellis and co-chair for the committee, says the committee has three main goals: Identifying connections to downtown, whether that be public transportation, bike lanes or other means of transport; making the corridor more pedestrian-friendly; providing outreach to local businesses.

A rendering of the future Tacos Chiwas building, which will be located approximately 230 feet east of the southeast corner of 19th Street and McDowell Road in central Phoenix.

"McDowell is very unique to Phoenix," McCabe says. "This is such an instrumental piece of the city."

So far, community cleanups have beautified the street and trees and greenery have been planted. Mural projects are also in the works to continue to improve the aesthetic appeal of the area.

But crosswalks are first on the list of requests from local business owners. Mansion Furniture is located directly across from Galeana 39 but there is no safe way to cross the busy street.

Traffic speed is another hot topic with many business owners, as cars speed past on the way to the freeway.

"I think the traffic just goes way too fast here," Parhams says.

Because of the speed, Kathy Cano-Murillo, who owns an art gallery and gift shop in the same building as Galeana 39, isn't sure a crosswalk will cut it. Her wish list includes a pedestrian bridge, plus more murals and art installations to solidify Miracle Mile as an arts district.

How you can help celebrate Miracle Mile

In celebration of the revitalization of the Miracle Mile, and to mark a point of progress, community members will host Miracle Mile Days on Saturday, Nov. 16.

The event, which was originally held more than 60 years ago to promote sales at stores along the Mile, will feature live mural painting, bands, food trucks, circus performances and discounts at some local stores.

McCabe hopes that the event will help get the community excited about all of the developments along the Miracle Mile.

"We're ready for them, whoever comes," he says. "Hopefully they come and then continue to come back."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest