HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 5:51 AM

How to get from Stockholm to Vaxjo?

Greetins! Hi, I'm a long time reader bu occasional poster. I'm hoping to get some advise from you fellow European forumers. In my past travels, you all have really helped me.

But now, it's for a friend of mine. My good friend Crystal is gonna spend a semester at a local university in Vaxjo Sweden this up-an-coming spring. Now, she's excited to get the party start in Vaxjo but doesn't quite know how to get from Stockholm to Vaxjo. That's were you guys come in.

Would it be possible to know some options on how to cover this distance? Since she's a student, she'll be more interested in the economical side of the scale. Of course all within reason, no mule carts! hehe. Train? Bus? etc.

Thanks in advanced and I look forward in conversing with you all.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 9:28 AM
YIMBY co-founder

If she's got a student-ID she'll get a discount on the trains, but it'll still be expensive (~8-900SEK), so taking the bus is probably the preferd option (3-400SEK).
http://www.swebusexpress.se/ <-- only in Scandinavian, från=from till=to
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 12:05 PM
low life in a tall place

Does your friend live/stay in Stockholm today, or she will fly into Scandinavia from the US (or another place overseas)?

In case she will be coming from overseas:
Flying all the way up to Stockholm is unnecessary since Copenhagen, the biggest airport in Scandinavia, is closer to Växjö - and the choice of flights from all around the world is quite a lot bigger to Copenhagen (SAS main hub, plus that more international airlines have direct flights there) than to Stockholm.
From the station at Copenhagen Airport (located straight below the terminal) there are direct trains that make the trip to Växjö in about 2 hours. As opposed to flying to Stockholm where she'd have to take the train/bus to Stockholm C first, and then change to another bus/train which would take her to Växjö.

I don't know about ticket prices, but I think it might be cheaper from CPH as well since the distance is shorter.

Good luck!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 5:18 PM

I did notice that Vaxjo IS closer to Copenhagen rather than Stockholm. She does have a student ID, but it's for New Mexico State University, are they honored there too? By-the-way, she's still in the US and won't be arriving in Europe on the 17th of January. Now, I do believe that she already has tickets to Stockholm that were purchased by the University program she's in and I don't know if they bother to research the situation more. Anyways, I'll be having beers with her tonight so I'll get more info from her. So I'll be posting back soon, thanks for the info thus far!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 3:39 PM

What up peeps!

Ok, I'm still recovering from a drinkfest lastnight. But I did find out that she already has her ticket to arrive in Stockholm.

So, is there something like a transportation hub near the airport where she can hoop on either a train or bus? Or maybe even a site with lots of goodie info in english?

And, if anyone of you all could offer advice, that be neat! Thanks again guys!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 4:20 PM
YIMBY co-founder

http://www.lfv.se/templates/LFV_Airp...____36729.aspx
The airport's webpage, you'll see the train to Sthlm is ridiculously expensive but the busses are reasonable. The cheapest way into town is taking the 583 bus and then the commuter train, but not sure a first-time visitor would be up for that...
I'd suggest the airport coach direct to "Cityterminalen" (part of the Stockholm Central complex) from there escalators will get her down to the train station.
btw - is she used to using transit systems like the one we (and London, NYC, Chicago, ...) got?
/hub near the airport? the airport is the hub, silly
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Dec 20, 2006, 8:10 PM
Junior Senior

http://www.sj.se/sj/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=10&l=en

I checked it, and a ticket from Stockholm Central to Vaxjo costs about $120.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2006, 10:09 PM

Tell your friend to buy an International Student ID. It shouldn't cost more than $15 or $20 and there will be some place around NMSU that can set her up with it.

This is the student ID card that will get her discounts internationally, and they are not insignificant on the trains in Sweden.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe