HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
Your perception based on your handful of clients and friends in NYC is not what I'm experiencing on the ground living here. Many of our friends have been riding out the pandemic at their country homes in the Hudson Valley or out East but are now planning on returning back to the city.
Librarian's posts should always come with complimentary salt.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
I mean, it’s the developers word they want to turn it into a town center. We get to critique based off proposals and what they intend to provide, especially when it lags compared with comparable projects
Is the "town square" part supposed to be that parking lot? They could at least build one like Grant Park's recent park-deck.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sura View Post
Is the "town square" part supposed to be that parking lot? They could at least build one like Grant Park's recent park-deck.
To be honest, I’m not 100% sure what they think the town square is. I cannot tell from the site plan’s 3 phases or the rendering. Just doesn’t appear to be anything close a town square, despite the claim.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 8:17 PM

^I get your point, but I think you're overestimating the potential. At best this could be an OK example of "drive to urbanism." The site is boxed-in by an interstate to the west, railroad and wide boulevard to the south, and the afformentioned 10 and 11-lane arterials (I counted, they really are this wide) to the east and north. There's nothing anywhere near it that is walkable, it's all car-oriented.
I do wish this was better, but I'll save my surface parking outrage for actually urban intown locations near MARTA.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sura View Post
Librarian's posts should always come with complimentary salt.
In other words you don't agree with my posts and that's ok!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 1:13 AM

delete

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 3:10 AM

Business now Atlanta reported a Medical office building in Buckhead is set to start construction soon. The New 5 story medical office building will be on Peachtree st next to Atlanta’s famous digital population sign are taking steps forward. The developer of the Darlington medical center has filed permits with the city to begin land preparations for a 77k sf medical office across the street from Piedmont Hospital and shepherd center. Not anything tall in size but it’s something to fill in that lot that’s better than that UGLY apartment high rise that is on that lot now .

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 3:35 AM

Also Atlanta business now reported that WRS a South Carolina developer & CEO Scot Smith told Bisnow the firm is roughly 30 days away from unveiling the first phase of the underground Atlanta rebirth with a string of retail store fronts and residential properties above them a long wall st. They planned on a 250 to 300 room Hotel But those plans may a little longer than expected because of the pandemic, so leasing is slow. But the whole project should be completed in 2025.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
In other words you don't agree with my posts and that's ok!
It’s not that we disagree, it’s that we know you present your hunches as being facts. We know you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 12:42 PM

Should I go with my "hunch" or yours? It's a fact that NYC has been depleted of "most" of the talent and yes "most" of them are still working for the same companies albeit remotely. I know several folks in this category; one here in Atlanta, one in Europe, one up the Hudson, one in Vermont, one in Connecticut. It's my "hunch" that "most" of them are never coming back. The cost/benefit is no more there in NYC. Would you even want to visit?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
Should I go with my "hunch" or yours?
You should stop pretending you can predict the future. You don’t know what CNN/AT&T will do. It’s one thing to say that you think something will happen, but to act like you have some guarantee that the company will make a particular move is wasting space and proving the point that you shouldn’t be taken seriously.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 4:07 PM

I haven't even begun to talk about AT&T, specifically CNN, but I think we'll agree that the actual CNN headquarters has already been NYC for quite some time. Their building in downtown Atlanta is a dinosaur back office. AT&T announced that it will be sold and the remaining personnel transferred to the Techwood facility, Los Angeles, and maybe a couple of other locations. That's the facts of what was announced. The reality of course is always somewhat different and that's where I get to throw out my hunches. One other fact is there are lots of headwinds against AT&T but they will try to adapt. Do you enjoy every month paying ATT for your internet, cable, and perhaps cell? Millions don't and there are other competitive solutions being offered. AT&T had a plan when they bought Time Warner (including CNN) and incurred massive debt. So how do you have a business model that deals with cable cutting, incurring and servicing massive debt, and maintain growth in a huge sector that is mutating quicker than a virus. This is a subject that I intend to discuss with my brother who is a telecom veteran executive in Plano who has competed against AT&T and observed them almost his entire life. Back in the day he actually started his career AT&T but that's just trivia. Anyway when I get a chance to talk to him and report back. Meanwhile if you want to stay relevant to the discussion you'd better read up on what analysts are writing about how AT&T intends to adapt or die. My hunch is that most doesn't involve Time Warner legacy including TBC and CNN junky little channels. They need revenue clickbait for a tough, disintegrating and diverse global market. It's just a hunch.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 4:45 PM

I think it's important to state that the building hasn't always been the CNN Center so it can still be an important piece of Downtown's fabric without CNN. Also a big chunk of that space is the Omni Hotel... it's not all in the taller tower (that was an addition).

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 7:35 PM

Honestly, given New York and Georgia's responses to handling the pandemic I'd be more afraid to visit Atlanta right now than New York.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 8:28 PM

If the CNN building opens up they should put a wacky indoor amusement park there or something

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briantech View Post
If the CNN building opens up they should put a wacky indoor amusement park there or something
You mean like the one that was in there originally??😉

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 11:38 PM

Prime Opportunity for AMAZON

Quote:
Originally Posted by briantech View Post

How about Atlanta leaders go back to AMAZON with a renewed Downtown/Midtown 2nd HQ - or major metro area distribution - proposal ??

But now, include MARTA and (I think) major Gulch rail (for some time anyway, I think) accesible CNN Center

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLonthebrain View Post
You mean like the one that was in there originally??😉

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Peachtree View Post
How about Atlanta leaders go back to AMAZON with a renewed Downtown/Midtown 2nd HQ - or major metro area distribution - proposal ??

But now, include MARTA and (I think) major Gulch rail (for some time anyway, I think) accesible CNN Center
Oh that would be GREAT, if the Atlanta leaders would talk to Amazon and try to direct their attention back on Atlanta for some white collared office jobs. As I mentioned the other day, Amazon would then maybe add a office here and maybe use the CNN building for that purpose. Or some other Major Companies to fill up the building. If not Amazon then maybe Nationwide Ins,Apple, Jp Morgan chase, IBM or heck even State Farm from Illinois. Bring the HQ to Hotlanta.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 4:46 AM

Just a thought haha, let the governor will and deal to bring those Giants to Atlanta and they can eather fill up the CNN building dt or build new or anchor one of the other proposals in the future pipelines

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations