HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 5:27 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobermankid View Post
LOL, I'm sorry but just about everytime I go into Memphis I end up in areas where the doors should be locked and windows closed. I actually live in Millington and I'm still kind of new to the area so not very familiar with Memphis yet. Sorry if I offended anyone.
You didn't offend me. All i'm saying is that you should actually get to know the city before you make knee jerk reactions and paranoid opinions about it based souly on the condition of some buildings in one area.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
You didn't offend me. All i'm saying is that you should actually get to know the city before you make knee jerk reactions and paranoid opinions about it based souly on the condition of some buildings in one area.
No, not just one area BnaBreaker, I've been through many parts of town and all but one occasion were not very pleasant. The neighborhood right outside the zoo (Overton Park) is very nice. Everywhere else I've been inside the I-240 loop seems that it can use some help. It's not only the buildings I took into consideration when I stated my opinion, I've always witnessed homeless people on the streets, not only downtown, and lots of gang related activity, graffiti, boarded-up windows, poor landscaping, litter and abandoned or poorly maintained homes.

Last edited by dobermankid; Jan 2, 2007 at 11:01 PM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 11:30 PM
Monomania w/ Skyscrapers

Thanx for the tour!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 11:44 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobermankid View Post
No, not just one area BnaBreaker, I've been through many parts of town and all but one occasion were not very pleasant. The neighborhood right outside the zoo (Overton Park) is very nice. Everywhere else I've been inside the I-240 loop seems that it can use some help. It's not only the buildings I took into consideration when I stated my opinion, I've always witnessed homeless people on the streets, not only downtown, and lots of gang related activity, graffiti, boarded-up windows, poor landscaping, litter and abandoned or poorly maintained homes.
I know that Memphis is no Charlotte in regards to cleanliness. I've been to Memphis many times. What i'm saying is that just because an area doesn't have a Starbucks on every corner, and well-manicured lawns everywhere doesn't mean it is 'the ghetto'. And just because there is a homeless person or some graffiti on a wall doesn't mean that area is worthless and full of nothing good or interesting.

Central cores are much different animals than new suburban sprawl. The central core of Memphis is a very complex area full of character and a volatile history. You can't just say 'eww, there's a dirty building, this place must be terrible and filled with poor people', because it is far more complex than that. Also, in my opinion, you don't have a right to complain about it if you are contributing to the problem by running away to sprawl. If you really want things to change, you can't do it by living 30 miles away and telling everyone how 'shitty' the place is with every chance you get. It just doesn't work that way.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 5:39 AM

Quote:
I know that Memphis is no Charlotte in regards to cleanliness. I've been to Memphis many times. What i'm saying is that just because an area doesn't have a Starbucks on every corner, and well-manicured lawns everywhere doesn't mean it is 'the ghetto'. And just because there is a homeless person or some graffiti on a wall doesn't mean that area is worthless and full of nothing good or interesting.

Central cores are much different animals than new suburban sprawl. The central core of Memphis is a very complex area full of character and a volatile history. You can't just say 'eww, there's a dirty building, this place must be terrible and filled with poor people', because it is far more complex than that. Also, in my opinion, you don't have a right to complain about it if you are contributing to the problem by running away to sprawl. If you really want things to change, you can't do it by living 30 miles away and telling everyone how 'shitty' the place is with every chance you get. It just doesn't work that way.

First of all the word "ghetto" was never said by me and I never complained about anything. I was just voicing my opinion just like you are. From what I have seen, Memphis is very run down. There is a difference. But now that you mention it, Memphis is VERY ghetto and if you ask most people that have been here I think they will agree.

Secondly, I am not contributing to any problem. I never lived in Memphis so I never ran away from anything. I live on a military base and I have been looking to move to Memphis since I transferred here in June 2006. Everytime I ask someone where a good place to live in Memphis is, people say that they wouldn't even live there because of how bad it is, even those that are from here will tell you that!! Everytime I turn around someone that lives in Memphis is talking about them getting car jacked or there house was broken into!

And lastly, you don't have to explain to me the difference between "central cores" and "suburban sprawl". I was born and raised in Brooklyn & Queens NY and have been through just about every alley in NYC, lived in Charlotte, Erie PA, Meridian MS, now in Millington and been all over the country so I think I know the difference!

To everyone else, downtown Memphis was very quiet that day and normally there is more street life than that. It was very cold, rainy and it was Christmas eve. I will try to get out there sometime this month and get some better images.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 5:19 PM
Red October standing by

nice pics and tour. it looks kind of eerie with a "28 Days Later" look, but that's a cold holiday anywhere (see the London on Christmas Day thread with all the closed stations and few people out.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roner View Post
Thanks for posting. Kinda looks like a ghost town, where are all the people?
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasercut View Post
Picture after picture of dull lifeless streets does not bode well for Memphis' tourism industry.

as soon as i saw the photos i KNEW some moron who didn't read the thread title and think about it being Christmas AND bad weather would say "NO PEDESTRIANS!!! NO STREETLIFE!!! IT SUCKS!!!" and maybe even a "southern cities suck" comment.

Quote:
Nice shots. We don't see enough of Memphis.

It looks like it was a cold, rainy, Christmas Eve morning guys. There wouldn't be many people out and about in most cities under those circumstances.
i'm glad a few people can read and think before typing.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 6:58 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Thanks!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2007, 2:22 AM

Old Posted Jan 5, 2007, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSyd View Post
nice pics and tour. it looks kind of eerie with a "28 Days Later" look, but that's a cold holiday anywhere (see the London on Christmas Day thread with all the closed stations and few people out.)

as soon as i saw the photos i KNEW some moron who didn't read the thread title and think about it being Christmas AND bad weather would say "NO PEDESTRIANS!!! NO STREETLIFE!!! IT SUCKS!!!" and maybe even a "southern cities suck" comment.

i'm glad a few people can read and think before typing.

-
I DID read that these were taken Christmas Day. Still makes the city look lifeless. San Francisco or Chicago would look just as lifeless if pic after pic of empty streets was shown.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos