HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I guess I'll have to go in and see it. It sounded unbelievably hokey and contrived when first announced with phony "food trucks" to disguise what is really just a food court operation. I am not a fan of much of Pratt's food offerings either - most seem overdone and well over the top. But it has gotten good reviews so it is worth checking into.
Sometimes you just have to stop analyzing and just appreciate it for what it is. While you may think "food court", it's actually quite nicely done, with murals depicting Canada from east coast to west coast. The "food trucks" fit in nicely with the decor, IMHO, and the quality of the food is a step above any food court but with food court pricing.

Presumably if you find Pratt's offerings overdone, then you don't like Cheese Curds or Habenero's food, so I have no idea whether you will like it or not. I like it, but I don't like bland food. I will say the asian food was so-so, but the italian and fish were very good.

All in all, view it for what it is - a good lunch spot with higher food quality than you would tend to find in a lunch spot. Fine dining it's not, nor should it be.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 2:43 PM

Doors have been locked all week, phone number disconnected
looks like Quinpool fixture Kings Palace is done

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 6:38 PM

Lot Six in the former Pipa space on Argyle is opening in a couple of days. I had a sneak peek today and it looks amazing.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 4:31 PM

Ratinaud has announced that it is moving to a bigger space on Gottingen in September. I can imagine that they may expand their capacity to serve meals on-site as they have been hosting dinners at a big communal table in their kitchen for a while now.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 4:47 PM

^ I guess they announced all the details: http://www.thecoast.ca/Restaurantand...ets-an-upgrade

They are moving into the space currently under construction just north of Cornwallis.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 3:30 PM

From the Herald:

Quote:
Halifax Feast Dinner Theatre bows out after 29 years

After 29 years in business, the Halifax Feast Dinner Theatre is shutting down.

The Barrington Street business was a Halifax favourite, producing more than 100 hilarious shows and countless delicious meals for guests over the years.

“It is with deepest regret that the Halifax Feast Dinner Theatre must close its doors,” wrote Jim Petrie, owner and artistic director, on the theatre’s Facebook page.

He said the harsh winter yielded poor profits for the business.

“Difficult economic times and the toughest winter to date provided little revenue and contributed to the closing of the theatre, which received no government or outside support in its long and successful run,” wrote Petrie.

“A heartfelt thank you to all the patrons who supported us over the years.”
http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...after-29-years

Sorry to read this, as it was always an interesting experience.

I may be off base here, but it seems like interest in live entertainment has diminished in Halifax. I remember about 30 years ago there always seemed to be something going on, with street festivals, live outdoor concerts, several bars that regularly featured known acts performing their own material, etc.

There is still some of that going on, but it seems to be only a fraction of what it used to be.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post

I may be off base here, but it seems like interest in live entertainment has diminished in Halifax. I remember about 30 years ago there always seemed to be something going on, with street festivals, live outdoor concerts, several bars that regularly featured known acts performing their own material, etc.
I think that's true all over, unfortunately. I know a lot of people who are very content to sit at home amid their home-theatre set-ups and barely leave the house.

The drop-off may feel more acute here though, since I get the since the city has a pretty good tradition of going-out-and-doing-stuff.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I think that's true all over, unfortunately. I know a lot of people who are very content to sit at home amid their home-theatre set-ups and barely leave the house.

The drop-off may feel more acute here though, since I get the since the city has a pretty good tradition of going-out-and-doing-stuff.
That's my impression from personal experience and also reading comments from some club owners, that it's harder to get people to come out and support entertainment like this.

One of my favourite places to go "out" to is The Carleton, for the amazing musical talent that plays there and the great intimate environment to see and listen to them. However sometimes it's not even a quarter full so I worry that they won't be able to continue bringing that level of talent there in the future, which would be a shame.

A lot of the music I listen to these days is from acts that I first saw at The Carleton - it's really a gem and I don't think that most of Halifax's population is even remotely aware that it exists...

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
That's my impression from personal experience and also reading comments from some club owners, that it's harder to get people to come out and support entertainment like this.

One of my favourite places to go "out" to is The Carleton, for the amazing musical talent that plays there and the great intimate environment to see and listen to them. However sometimes it's not even a quarter full so I worry that they won't be able to continue bringing that level of talent there in the future, which would be a shame.

A lot of the music I listen to these days is from acts that I first saw at The Carleton - it's really a gem and I don't think that most of Halifax's population is even remotely aware that it exists...
My hope is that the Carleton will survive the Nova build, that has got to be affecting business. Once the area gets busy, people will go there for live music, it is a great spot, a listening spot.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
My hope is that the Carleton will survive the Nova build, that has got to be affecting business. Once the area gets busy, people will go there for live music, it is a great spot, a listening spot.
Yes, it must have an effect. I know the shadows from the Nova Centre will not do any favours to all the establishments who have streetside patios along that strip of Argyle, but hopefully the perceived increase in pedestrian traffic from Nova will make up for it.

And, yes, IMHO it is the best spot in the entire city to listen to music. They have a house rule of no talking during many of the performances which is a godsend for me. Nothing worse than trying to listen to a band that you paid to see while some drooling drunk is talking nonsense over the volume of the singer.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Yes, it must have an effect. I know the shadows from the Nova Centre will not do any favours to all the establishments who have streetside patios along that strip of Argyle, but hopefully the perceived increase in pedestrian traffic from Nova will make up for it.
It won't be any worse than when the Herald building was still there. Most of the time the patios were in its shade from mid-afternoon onwards.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 2:12 PM

I was mostly thinking of how the construction is affecting that street. I've never minded dark streets, particularly when heading to a bar; I remember the street when the Moirs factory was there.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 3:29 PM

I feel like Mike Campbell of the Carleton is holding on a little too hard, in his public comments, to what Argyle used to be (i.e., a strip of past-their-primes bars stuck in the 90s, primarily catering to tourists and undergraduates). His negative comments worry me more than any dip in business--it sounds to me as if he's extremely skeptical about the street's future and is weighing his options. I think this is a huge mis-reading of the situation on his part.

It seems obvious that the Carleton is the kind of place that can thrive as the street goes a bit more upscale, especially with a hotel and convention centre directly across the street. (Even if the Nova Centre is a crashing failure, it'll still be better than the old Herald building, in terms of attracting people to the area.)

Argyle is due for a refresh, and it's happening as the street and the area get a bit more spruced up. Lot Six moves in, Seahorse moves out, etc. (It was too bad to see the Seahorse vacate that building, but Gottingen feels like a more natural home at this point.)

The Toothy Moose and the Foggy Goggle and whatnot are probably the ones that have to worry, not the Carleton.

As far as shade, whatever--the Nova Centre will shade the street more than the old Herald building, but it's also going to be a much nicer architectural accompaniment than that was. Do people remember how awful-looking that thing was?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 4:33 PM

Quote:
I feel like Mike Campbell of the Carleton is holding on a little too hard, in his public comments, to what Argyle used to be (i.e., a strip of past-their-primes bars stuck in the 90s, primarily catering to tourists and undergraduates). His negative comments worry me more than any dip in business--it sounds to me as if he's extremely skeptical about the street's future and is weighing his options. I think this is a huge mis-reading of the situation on his part.

It seems obvious that the Carleton is the kind of place that can thrive as the street goes a bit more upscale, especially with a hotel and convention centre directly across the street. (Even if the Nova Centre is a crashing failure, it'll still be better than the old Herald building, in terms of attracting people to the area.)

Argyle is due for a refresh, and it's happening as the street and the area get a bit more spruced up. Lot Six moves in, Seahorse moves out, etc. (It was too bad to see the Seahorse vacate that building, but Gottingen feels like a more natural home at this point.)

The Toothy Moose and the Foggy Goggle and whatnot are probably the ones that have to worry, not the Carleton.

As far as shade, whatever--the Nova Centre will shade the street more than the old Herald building, but it's also going to be a much nicer architectural accompaniment than that was. Do people remember how awful-looking that thing was?
Yeah, I think the net outcome will be positive, and yes, one only has to look at Google streetview 2009 to see the Herald building - not the most attractive to be sure:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.64707...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I think the net outcome will be positive, and yes, one only has to look at Google streetview 2009 to see the Herald building - not the most attractive to be sure:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.64707...7i13312!8i6656
Interesting to cruise those 2 blocks in 2009 time and see the turnover of establishments. Quite the change.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 3:20 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
I think there's been a sea change over the last 20 years in terms of downtown living and the attractiveness of the downtown area in general. Business closures used to mean vacancies and a lack of demand but lately they've been driven by the rising cost of space and, to some degree, by demand that is moving upmarket. General social and technological changes (e.g. buying stuff online) are happening at the same time so there's been a lot of churn in the businesses.

It's hard to see right now because the construction is bad for many businesses but when these buildings open I think areas like Argyle are going to be a lot more vibrant. Just compare the Nova Centre to what was there before; it used to be the Herald building and a large parking lot. Soon there's going to be ten times as much stuff happening on those blocks.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 9:36 PM
hi

Stillwell pilot project’s success leads to waterfront tender call

http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...nt-tender-call

Quote:
Waterfront Development wants a food and beverage operator for the outdoor patio space at the Summit Place Amphitheatre, according to the tender. The contract would be for May 15 to Oct. 15.

A Waterfront Development spokeswoman said the request for proposals was issued because the pilot was such a success.

“It proved that this site was commercially viable, and it provided an active and dynamic use of an underused space that dramatically invigorated this area of the Halifax boardwalk,” Jennifer Angel said via email.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoser View Post
Stillwell pilot project’s success leads to waterfront tender call

http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...nt-tender-call
Hmmm... I can't help but feel that a public tender will lead to a more-of-the-same-lowest-common-denominator project. Not something interesting, which I think was part of Stillwell's mission with this endeavour.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Hmmm... I can't help but feel that a public tender will lead to a more-of-the-same-lowest-common-denominator project. Not something interesting, which I think was part of Stillwell's mission with this endeavour.
It's silly. It was Stillwell's idea, which they approached WDC with in good faith. If WDC had simply come up with the idea and given it to Stillwell, that would clearly be a violation of the rules. But in this case, WDC has essentially stolen their idea and opened it up to other operators.

If we get some Murphy's/Lower Deck type outfit, slinging Michelob and Oland at cruise ship tourists, I swear I won't go down to the waterfront all summer in silent protest. Stillwell hav done something that previously didn't exist down there, and they did a great job of it. Any outcome that doesn't inolve then getting it again is inexcusable.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Yeah, I agree. This may contradict some rule they have about getting lowest bidder, but IMHO they should give first dibs to Stillwell, as they did the work and made it happen, and it turned out to be popular and thus successful under their guidance.

I'd be very disappointed if this ended up being yet another fish and chip joint or beavertails or some such crappy 'touristy' vendor.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment