HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 6:56 PM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecoJim View Post
Possible new LEGO architecture sets: skylines!
NYC, Berlin, and Venice.

http://www.citylab.com/navigator/201...dmarks/419985/

Supposedly available January 1st, 2016.
I had this exact same idea! Although mine were going to be simpler, in line with the current Architecture line. Vid, I agree - I don't like the look of it.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 12:57 AM
Art Deco Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Octoroc View Post
I had this exact same idea! Although mine were going to be simpler, in line with the current Architecture line. Vid, I agree - I don't like the look of it.
The ESB and Chrysler look pretty good for the scale. Compare to the first ESB in the LEGO architecture series.

Of course if you do not like them, you can always design your own versions or just copy off of Spencer!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 1:02 AM
Art Deco Enthusiast

LEGO Display at Henry Ford Greenfield Village 2015

Yet another display with my (and other builder's) Detroit skyscrapers.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/decoji...posted-public/

Most of them veterans of this discussion probably have seen before. A new creation is the 7 foot tall Book Tower model built by Scot Thompson (2nd skyscraper starting from front to back just behind the massive One Detroit Center).

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 2:07 AM
I am a typical

What I don't like about that ESB is that those slotted tiles will probably fall off. But I have the original Lego ESB on my desk and I knock it off all the time and it's pretty flimsy too. At least that one has a different colour for the spire.

WTC1 is really the biggest issue I have with that set. It looks almost nothing like what it is supposed to.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 2:46 AM

If those grey pieces on 1WTC were slate blue like the diagonal faces and the Chrysler was more uniformly colored below the spire then I would be a big fan. The Berlin model looks amazing though.

Aerial Lift Bridge live stream:
http://www.lsmma.com/webcam/webcam_st2.html

Old Posted Jan 18, 2016, 9:47 AM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

I'm working on a series of LEGO MOC's of the world's tallest skyscrapers all in scale with each other. For each entry in the series, I'm creating instructions and cover art that follows the Architecture theme. Each plate height unit is equal to about 25 feet.

For buildings already in the Architecture series, I've done my own take on the model but for some like the Willis Tower, Empire State Building and One World Trade Center, I've taken cues from the actual models and adjusted the build to reflect the scale.

Below are the covers of the models for which I've finished putting the instructions together already. In addition to these, I've also finished the model for Kingkey 100, Zifeng Tower, Petronas Towers, International Commerce Centre, Taipei 101, Shanghai Finance Center, CN Tower, Makka Royal Clock Tower Hotel, Shanghai Tower, Tokyo Sky Tree and Burj Khalifa. That last one I'm especially proud of as the scale is similar to the official LEGO version but the build is drastically different and, in my opinion, a better overall representation of the building.

If anyone has suggestions for what I should do next, feel free to chime in!

Last edited by Doctor Octoroc; Apr 7, 2016 at 12:56 AM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2016, 10:31 PM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

I finished the covers/instructions for two more skyscrapers late last night: Kingkey 100 and Zifeng Tower. Both were a challenge in their own right and while I'm super happy with how Zifeng Tower came out (some really intense building going on inside the inner column there), KK100 leaves a bit to be desired. I don't think it's bad for the scale, I just wish there were more 1x1 and 1x2 'center slopes' in the LEGO library so I didn't have to opt for stacking plates on the inside faces and using cones to fill the gap at the top. I also implemented alternating 1x1's on the inside of the tip to fill in the space from the front profile view.

In case you haven't guessed by now, I'm working on them in ascending size order (give or take since really I've saved the more complicated ones for later to give myself more time to get in the groove with LCAD and LPUB).

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 12:48 AM
Meh

Those are great. I like the Jin Mao one.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 3:00 AM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Those are great. I like the Jin Mao one.
Thanks! I also realized I spelled it "Jing Mao" instead so I fixed it.

I also finished two more sets.

Last edited by Doctor Octoroc; Feb 1, 2016 at 8:30 AM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 3:33 AM
I am a typical

Nice!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 5:41 PM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Nice!
Thanks vid! I also forgot to include another finished model in the last post. I really like how this one turned out. I'm currently working on instructions for the CN Tower and the Shanghai World Financial Center but ran into some odd issues with the program I'm using for the instructions...currently awaiting a response to some questions on the Eurobricks Forum...

Last edited by Doctor Octoroc; Jan 30, 2016 at 9:39 AM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2016, 2:09 PM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Two more sets of instructions and covers finished - CN Tower and Shanghai World Financial Center!

Last edited by Doctor Octoroc; Apr 7, 2016 at 1:04 AM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 12:44 AM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

A bunch more finished! Feel free to chime in with suggestions as well, over on the Eurobricks forum they're throwing a lot of requests at me and I've managed to finish three of those already.

Last edited by Doctor Octoroc; Apr 7, 2016 at 1:03 AM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2016, 9:46 AM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Some more I designed over the last few days. Up to 27 structures now, shooting for around 100 eventually...

John Hancock Center is a similar build to the official model but instead of stacking plain bricks I used side-studded bricks with plates on the sides to add more of a textured look, plus I made the antennas offset in height as they are on the real deal and it's accurate to the scale of my other models.

Canton Tower was fun but it took at least a half dozen iterations before I found a build method that worked for the overall shape.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 6:54 PM

Hi everyone,

I thought I would post this here as I'm sure it will be right up your alley!

My Lego User's Group (S.L.U.G.) is hosting a Flickr contest called Marchitecture. The idea is to build a Lego version of a real-world building. Check out the Flickr group for rules/regs and prize details.

Hope all of you give it a try!

https://www.flickr.com/groups/marchitecture/

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 9:53 PM
Eagle Scout since 9/28/09

Quote:
A bunch more finished! Feel free to chime in with suggestions as well, over on the Eurobricks forum they're throwing a lot of requests at me and I've managed to finish three of those already.
I think this one has to be my favorite of the bunch. At such a small scale, you've managed to really pull off the massing; something that I'm sure would be tricky with this particular building at any scale! The parts usage at the top is also quite brilliant, especially the usage of that bar-clip for the crescent moon!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 11:07 PM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb001 View Post
I think this one has to be my favorite of the bunch. At such a small scale, you've managed to really pull off the massing; something that I'm sure would be tricky with this particular building at any scale! The parts usage at the top is also quite brilliant, especially the usage of that bar-clip for the crescent moon!
Thanks! Yeah, I searched though every misc LEGO part before settling on the bar clip. Some of those wrenches would have worked nicely if they were symmetrical and came in yellow.

Also, a BUNCH more done. I'll also be doing a mini series within the main one that covers the tallest structure in each of the 50 states. This means some pretty short buildings (Vermont has the last place in that list with a 38 meter tall office building!), but a fun extra feature of the full series. I'd love to see all 50 in a few rows next to each other once I get around to building them.

Last edited by Doctor Octoroc; Apr 7, 2016 at 12:59 AM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2016, 3:11 AM
Eagle Scout since 9/28/09

40 Wall Street, New York City

Click the picture to see more!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2016, 4:29 PM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb001 View Post
40 Wall Street, New York City
rjb001, I love seeing your large scale buildings! Really makes me want to take a stab at a larger scale - what is the scale on these? 1:500?

I also finished a bunch more for my "world's tallest" series, including a number of entries in the "US 50" mini-series which covers the tallest building in each state!

Last edited by Doctor Octoroc; Apr 7, 2016 at 1:01 AM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2016, 8:48 PM
Art Deco Enthusiast

Rocco, your 40 Wall Street is great! I like your usage of tan and dark tan plates.

Quote:
rjb001, I love seeing your large scale buildings! Really makes me want to take a stab at a larger scale - what is the scale on these? 1:500?
Large scale buildings!?!
These are 1:650 micro scale models, not exactly large scale! If you want large scale, the buildings shown above in post #1463 are about 1:50 scale and range up to 11 feet high (there are 5 that are over 6 feet high). I have nothing against micro scale of course, but that statement just seems funny to someone who just displayed a 60 pound, 7.5 feet high LEGO model of the David Stott Building last weekend.

Doc. Oc, I suppose they *ARE* larger than the scale you are using; btw, I like your VAB model.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art