HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Today, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
I'm thinking my grandfather (Papa aka Dr. Herbert Sheen). I found most of these photos at my grandmother's property and since she really didn't throw anything away, and i didn't find any cameras, it just leads me to believe it was Papa (he's also noticeably absent in most photos).
Well, he left you a wonderful record of family "goings-on' and we are very grateful you shared them with us.

I Googled your grandfather and read about the Sheenway Schools. I am in Chicago and had never heard of them. A fantastic concept and sorely needed today.

You certainly have an interesting family!

Old Posted Today, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
mystery location

This amazing rppc of an apartment building in Los Angeles was just listed on eBay.

eBay

The card has the sender's address as 2923 S Hope.

The Hope Apartments -

cdnc.ucr.edu - Los Angeles Herald - 22 November 1913

Built in 1906 and demolished circa 1974.

Old Posted Today, 1:58 PM

Quote:

Let's take a closer look.

detail

hmm. . .I guess the diagonal board has nothing to do with the pipes on the ground.

And. . .hmm. . .the diagonal board, that appears to be attached to a wire, is stabilizing the tree. (?)
The wire continues to the top-right corner of the detail view, so I'm guessing that it tethered a utility pole. I'm sure that the board was just there to stop people walking into the wire, or at least reduce the impact. Nowadays they just put plastic or metal tubes around the base of the wires up to a height of about seven feet.

Old Posted Today, 2:17 PM

Quote:

Have any of you noirisher heard of the Sweet and Lowe Convalescent Home?

eBay

The name "Sweet and Lowe" doesn't ring any bells....It's unique enough I think I would have remembered it.

There is something written in white at the very bottom of the photograph. (no doubt from the negative)

Here is the reverse.

April 20, 1912

The writer's house is being moved.... There was alot of house moving going on in Los Angeles back in the day.

Henriette Sweet and Jennie Lowe were partners in the sanitarium--it only opened in 1910, so didn't last long. Looks like they went their separate ways after the building was sold? and moved. Sweet was next listed at 1805 W 5th St, but if the building was moved there, it's gone. On a quick look couldn't find any BPs to trace its movement.

"Prince" John Edward R. de Guelph, who imagined himself the rightful heir to the British throne, lived there once. Thought we'd seen him on NLA before, but couldn't dig him up.

Herald Jan 29, 1911 and July 28, 1911

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos