HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 11:45 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikle View Post
I believe the Dallas-Forth Worth rivalry is much bigger and am surprised it hasn't been mentioned.
that doesnt seem like a rivalry in the spirit that its being discussed here..it’s the same metro area, so it sounds more like a classic eastside vs westside or northside vs southside thing which all metro areas have in degrees.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xing View Post
Oh that’s good to hear. I do know there is some good hearted Missouri bashing in my household , but certainly no St Louis bashing. I have no issue with Missouri’s big cities, but the state of Missouri grinds my gears... lol.
“missouri” as a polity blows...it’s the most incohesive and fractional state in the midwest, with the possible exception of ohio...but at least they have a sort of “heart” in columbus and a cohesion within the context of being north of the ohio. here we shot and stabbed each other in a war inside the same state.

its weird to me when someone sees my ID in say oregon and is like “oh missouri” and i’m like oh yeah i’m a “missourian.”

i identify as a st. louisan and of the broader mississippi valley and the lands the river touches. doesn’t really even matter if its the north or south if i’m in a hardcore river city. something always stirs deep within me.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
that doesnt seem like a true rivalry...it’s the same metro area, so it sounds more like a classic eastside vs westside or northside vs southside thing which all metro areas have in degrees.
Maybe you're right. But they are very distinct cities and do not always play well together. It seems Fort Worth has more animosity towards Dallas than the other way around. It would be good to get opinions from those in the Metroplex.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikle View Post
Maybe you're right. But they are very distinct cities and do not always play well together. It seems Fort Worth has more animosity towards Dallas than the other way around. It would be good to get opinions from those in the Metroplex.
it could sort of be a hybrid thing, i don’t know.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 4:00 AM

How do European cities feel about each other? In France & England, for example. Do non-Parisians & non-Londoners feel that those huge capital cities get all the advantages? Are Lyonians & Marsaillians resentful of Paris? How about Moscow & St. Petersberg? Berlin & the other German cities? Rome vs. Milan & the rest...Naples, Bologna etc. Lots of unexplored rivalries. Beijing & Shanghai? Tokyo & Osaka? Mexico City, Guadalajara & Monterey?

In these days of instant communications via the internet maybe the bureacracy should be spread around to the hinterland. No need to concentrate the bureaucracy into one gigantic capital city. Spreading the government seems to be more democratic & spreads the wealth around, to the extent that a bureaucracy stimulates a local economy. Why shouldn't L.A. be the HQ of Dept. of Transportation? NYC the Federal Reserve & Treasury & SEC? Chicago Housing & Urban Development? S.F. the Justice Dept? Denver the Dept. of Interior? Kansas City or St. Louis the Agriculture Dept.? Atlanta the Health & Human Services Dept.? Houston or Dallas the Dept. of Energy? Seattle or Portland the EPA....etc etc. etc.

Last edited by CaliNative; Dec 14, 2017 at 4:29 AM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 7:07 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I never really noticed a strong rivalry between our teams. Cowgirls are NFC and Texans are AFC so rarely will ever square off. Maybe in preseason. People just hate Dallas.

Same thing with Rangers/ Astros even after the Astros moved to the AL. This may change now that Astros are not bringing up the rear every season and have a WS under their belt and the Rangers are also a solid team.

Now that Fertita owns the Rockets, we have our own celebrity billionaire owner to rival Mark Cuban.

Since i moved to TX, the Houston/ Dallas rivalry always seem to be on attitude and personality.
Oilers fans always had an inferiority complex re: Dallas. They hated that the team up the road had all the success and were the darlings of the NFL/media/nation. It continues today with the Texans. It's not so much an on-the-field rivalry.

As for baseball, I wouldn't be so sure there isn't animosity there, even before the Astros moved to the AL. If you ask old school Rangers fans, they hate Houston. I've heard it mentioned it's because when Arlington was trying to land a team, Houston's owner kept blocking it. That stirred up some ill will back then (late 60s, early 70s). Now, the two fanbases really go at it. No love lost.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 8:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I never really noticed a strong rivalry between our teams. Cowgirls are NFC and Texans are AFC so rarely will ever square off. Maybe in preseason. People just hate Dallas.

Same thing with Rangers/ Astros even after the Astros moved to the AL. This may change now that Astros are not bringing up the rear every season and have a WS under their belt and the Rangers are also a solid team.

Now that Fertita owns the Rockets, we have our own celebrity billionaire owner to rival Mark Cuban.

Since i moved to TX, the Houston/ Dallas rivalry always seem to be on attitude and personality.
The Astros-Rangers rivalry is so forced. The Astros had legit back and forths with the Cardinals and Cubs in the NL and Dodgers before that.

Houston/DFW is now a legit rivalry, both are on even terms nationally and internationally.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 8:56 AM

Quote:
that doesnt seem like a rivalry in the spirit that its being discussed here..it’s the same metro area, so it sounds more like a classic eastside vs westside or northside vs southside thing which all metro areas have in degrees.
Dallas and Fort Worth is a huge rivalry. It's why I always laugh about how Dallas includes Fort Worth and its suburbs as part of "Dallas" when convenient but bashes them when other areas of the country and world aren't looking or acts superior to them. And don't look now but Fort Worth is about to equal Dallas in population in the next 25 years (if not sooner) and become an equal partner.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 8:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Oilers fans always had an inferiority complex re: Dallas. They hated that the team up the road had all the success and were the darlings of the NFL/media/nation. It continues today with the Texans. It's not so much an on-the-field rivalry.

As for baseball, I wouldn't be so sure there isn't animosity there, even before the Astros moved to the AL. If you ask old school Rangers fans, they hate Houston. I've heard it mentioned it's because when Arlington was trying to land a team, Houston's owner kept blocking it. That stirred up some ill will back then (late 60s, early 70s). Now, the two fanbases really go at it. No love lost.
We couldn't care less about the Rangers. Maybe that'll change but I doubt it.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
“missouri” as a polity blows...it’s the most incohesive and fractional state in the midwest, with the possible exception of ohio...but at least they have a sort of “heart” in columbus and a cohesion within the context of being north of the ohio. here we shot and stabbed each other in a war inside the same state.

its weird to me when someone sees my ID in say oregon and is like “oh missouri” and i’m like oh yeah i’m a “missourian.”

i identify as a st. louisan and of the broader mississippi valley and the lands the river touches. doesn’t really even matter if its the north or south if i’m in a hardcore river city. something always stirs deep within me.
Yeah, only California has more regional rivalries than Missouri. Far northern and southern CA have almost nothing in common. The central valley is a distinct region, as are the high and low desert regions and the Modoc Plateau. No two regions could be more unalike as the cool temperate rainforests of far northwest CA and the deserts of the Colorado basin. OK--maybe the Olympic rainforests and the Palouse in WA. CA could form 3 or 4 states, easily. Do K.C. and S.L. residents actually dislike each other, or is it more of an indifference?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 2:13 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
How do European cities feel about each other? In France & England, for example. Do non-Parisians & non-Londoners feel that those huge capital cities get all the advantages? Are Lyonians & Marsaillians resentful of Paris? How about Moscow & St. Petersberg? Berlin & the other German cities? Rome vs. Milan & the rest...Naples, Bologna etc. Lots of unexplored rivalries. Beijing & Shanghai? Tokyo & Osaka? Mexico City, Guadalajara & Monterey?

In these days of instant communications via the internet maybe the bureacracy should be spread around to the hinterland. No need to concentrate the bureaucracy into one gigantic capital city. Spreading the government seems to be more democratic & spreads the wealth around, to the extent that a bureaucracy stimulates a local economy. Why shouldn't L.A. be the HQ of Dept. of Transportation? NYC the Federal Reserve & Treasury & SEC? Chicago Housing & Urban Development? S.F. the Justice Dept? Denver the Dept. of Interior? Kansas City or St. Louis the Agriculture Dept.? Atlanta the Health & Human Services Dept.? Houston or Dallas the Dept. of Energy? Seattle or Portland the EPA....etc etc. etc.

Copenhagen and Stockholm is a bit of a thing. The story goes that it's a bit London/Paris, with Stockholm being more beautiful but a bit stuffy/restrained and Copenhagen being brickier and rustier and livelier.

But this might be just a tiny urban subset of the glorious thing that is DENMARK VERSUS SWEDEN.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 2:14 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:

The fans are ambivalent about other's team (more like Rangers fans hate Astros while Astros fans forget Dallas has a team) but there's no history of rivalry between the teams themselves. Like ThePhun1 said, it's forced. It took years for teams like the Braves and the Cardinals to be huge rivals while Astros were still in the NL.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Yeah, only California has more regional rivalries than Missouri. Far northern and southern CA have almost nothing in common. The central valley is a distinct region, as are the high and low desert regions and the Modoc Plateau. No two regions could be more unalike as the cool temperate rainforests of far northwest CA and the deserts of the Colorado basin. OK--maybe the Olympic rainforests and the Palouse in WA. CA could form 3 or 4 states, easily. Do K.C. and S.L. residents actually dislike each other, or is it more of an indifference?
kc was founded by st. louisans and originally operated as a sort of economic satellite. there’s not really a hostility towards kc from this direction, but sometimes a sharp competitive angle coming from kc towards us. historically st louis might have come off a bit cold or smug. the politics/geography of outstate makes kc feel distant from here.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 11:16 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
We couldn't care less about the Rangers. Maybe that'll change but I doubt it.
lol That's BS. I'm on a site that is mainly Longhorn based. The MLB forum can turn into a real bloodbath between Rangers and Astros fans.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 11:25 PM

Quote:
lol That's BS. I'm on a site that is mainly Longhorn based. The MLB forum can turn into a real bloodbath between Rangers and Astros fans.
There are some exceptions. Doesn't change the fact it's a forced rivalry. The Astros had legit developed ones, even if they were relatively minor, in the NL.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 11:56 PM

People in LA don't seem to talk about the rest of country outside of California/Vegas from what I've seen. Maybe NYC.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 1:31 AM

wow, LA seems special.. thanks

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 1:39 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
There are some exceptions. Doesn't change the fact it's a forced rivalry. The Astros had legit developed ones, even if they were relatively minor, in the NL.
We obviously have witnessed different things.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
wow, LA seems special.. thanks
L.A. is special, and the great thing about dpecial cities is that they can do whatever the fuck they want.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 2:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
People in LA don't seem to talk about the rest of country outside of California/Vegas from what I've seen. Maybe NYC.
It's true. Angelenos know they live on the better of the two coasts and therefore don't really care what's going on "over there". They know NY (insert city, state) as a place that is freezing in the winter, humid in the summer and that they (outsiders) seem to love and flock to LA in droves.

* I'm not saying this is in anyway accurate, I'm just relaying the attitude. Also there is no excuse for pure ignorance, I find it very troubling that people are not even remotely curious about other areas than what they're currently very familiar with.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions