HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 7:43 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANSIT View Post
There is no direct service to DUS (CPV spur) from Nine Mile. This special service gets you to the Broncos station (then to DUS) for gamedays.
And since there's no track crossover at the Mile High station, trains would have to go to Elitch's before they turned around anyway. At that point they may as well go the one additional stop to DUS. Easier to operate, easier for the public to understand, and you get additional connections for people transferring to other buses & trains at DUS.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 9:12 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

And despite all that, nobody knows this, because they are running a train line that doesn't exist. I do not understand RTD's compulsive need to provide special services. Why not just increase frequency on your regular routes, and make people transfer? In the process, getting them accustomed to how they would use the train every other day of the week if they so desire. It really reinforces that transit isn't something for everyday use - it's a tool for getting downtown, getting to the airport, and other times when a car just isn't the most convenient option.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 2:22 AM

So I happen to notice that David Sachs posted just today
"If Colorado Doesn’t Spend Smarter on Transport, It’s Going to Choke on Cars"

It's based on a recent report by COPIRG. Given that I had managed to read 30 pages of the report over the weekend I was curious what his take would be. First thing David does is reproduce a bar graph from the COPIRG report. This one. Since I was struggling to make heads or tails out of it I checked the reference or Note 56 of the report. That turned out to be an article about protected Bike Lanes in NYC. Nothing to do with the graph. So I asked my BFF using the title: "2012 State Investments in Transit Across the Country" whereupon I found what seemed to be the relevant pdf.

This report uses a pie chart that stipulates:
1) Sources of Operating Funds, 2012 by the state at 25.6% and
2) Sources of Capital Funds, 2012 by the state of 11.9%.

If you compare this data with the bar graph it seems to match perfectly. The pie charts include additional data so I assume somebody extracted the data they wanted and created the subject bar graph. So far so good.

There is one little kink however. The pie charts are entitled: "Sources of Public Transportation Funds" =/= transit funds. It may of course include transit funds or it may not.

I found another kink in something that the COPIRG report stated but it wasn't all that important so I'll save the detail. I've spent too much time fact checking conservative talking points. It's a pain. I hate it when those with an agenda intentionally mislead; it's unprofessional.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 3:12 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Well you made that very complicated. But what makes today's Streetsblog post most disingenuous is that it only looks at state funding. Not funding in the state. It's ludicrous to exclude RTD's massive budget from any bar graph purporting to show how Colorado spends its transportation dollars. Just because the state legislature created a special purpose taxing district to provide transit in the state's largest metro area, rather than doing it through the state DOT, that money doesn't count? (By the same logic, perhaps RTD should start contributing to local governments' road maintenance budgets.)

You know what that graph is? It's by transplants, for transplants. People who have no interest in learning about how things are done in Colorado. There is plenty to criticize here, but if you can't make the effort to get the criticisms right, then please, go home.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Well you made that very complicated. But what makes today's Streetsblog post most disingenuous is that it only looks at state funding. Not funding in the state. It's ludicrous to exclude RTD's massive budget from any bar graph purporting to show how Colorado spends its transportation dollars. Just because the state legislature created a special purpose taxing district to provide transit in the state's largest metro area, rather than doing it through the state DOT, that money doesn't count? (By the same logic, perhaps RTD should start contributing to local governments' road maintenance budgets.)

You know what that graph is? It's by transplants, for transplants. People who have no interest in learning about how things are done in Colorado. There is plenty to criticize here, but if you can't make the effort to get the criticisms right, then please, go home.
Nice insight; you nailed it.

LOL, at this point I rarely bother to fact check anything. But once in awhile something will jump out at me like "What is this and what is the source for this claim?" I've long held the notion (or fantasy) that my liberal friends are more forthright than my obnoxious conservative friends. But being sneaky is no less off-putting or devious.

COPIRG essentially comes up with a liberal utopian wish list but at the state level. Their goal is for the State to spend at least $1 billion a year over the next 25 years. Since COPIRG is a local liberal think tank I get it and there's nothing wrong with creating a wish list per se and I have no particular objection to what they value.

The problem is as "we" point out they start from a few false premises. I get the sense that this is a national trend to seek buyin at the state and/or local level out of fear of likely waning, certainly unreliable federal support. That's fine.

One of the bigger realities they fail to address is how state budgets differ a lot from state to state. Arizona for example collects 5.2% sales tax while the state of Colorado only collects 2.9%. In Colorado a lot more sales tax is collected at the city/county level. Consequently Arizona, at the state level, has more discretionary dollars to allocate than Colorado.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 9:51 PM

izquotes

Since we're on the topic...

Photos courtesy: Day Hikes Near Denver and MyTownCryer

"High Line Canal: Planners Want to Transform Its 71-Mile Course"
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 27, 2016 BY ALAN PRENDERGAST - Westword
Quote:
When he was a boy, acclaimed naturalist Robert Michael Pyle found what he describes as an "imaginary wilderness" not far from his back door in Aurora — a muddy, weedy, man-made ditch where all sorts of interesting flora and fauna had managed to survive the relentless march of suburbia. The High Line Canal soon became the budding scientist's first research site and "holy ground of solace."

photo credit: High Line Conservancy via Westword
"Denver, neighbors agree to chip in for High Line Canal project"
August 9, 2016 By JON MURRAY - The Denver Post
Quote:
$5.4 million plan will reroute trail underneath both busy roads along border with Cherry Hills Village

Users of the High Line Canal trail will get an easier way to cross the busy intersection of Hampden Avenue and Colorado Boulevard in two years under an agreement among Denver, Cherry Hills Village and Arapahoe County.

Each of them has agreed to kick in $450,000 in local matches toward a $5.4 million project that will reroute the trail underneath both busy roads next to Denver’s Wellshire Golf Course. The rest of the money will come from federal funding that the Colorado Department of Transportation has agreed to provide to Denver, which is overseeing the project.
I've spent countless hours enjoying the High Line Canal. This area I'm especially familiar with as there was a small off-the-beaten-roadway where about a dozen cars could park. The path through Cherry Hills Village became a favorite for taking a companion or friend-in-need where you could just walk along at whatever the desired pace and laugh or cry depending on the need.

The High Line Canal Conservancy has been created to preserve and enhance the trail and to connect communities. Would you believe that it's the non-ideological efforts of people and communities that gets the best stuff done?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 6:57 PM

There's an update today on the proposed DIA project by Catchy Proctor at DBJ which clarifies a fews things and threatens complications as well.

Firstly, the Denver City council by a 10-2 vote formally approved proceeding.

Part 'A' is The Plan or "a predevelopment contract that has a $9 million cap." Denver/DIA will have the option of buying the plan and doing it themselves.

I don't recall the original guestimates but the whole project cost I believe is in the $350 million neighborhood.
Quote:
The final deal -- cost to be determined -- must be approved by the council and Hancock.

The council also approved a $600,000 contract with Los Angeles-based law firm Nossaman LLP to advise DIA officials in crafting the public-private partnership with Ferrovial.
Should a P3 be approved with the Ferrovial SA group it's currently expected to run 24 years.

Debbie Ortega, along with a couple of others expressed a lot of "heartburn" concern on behalf of Unions, specifically Unite Here Local 23 and existing workforce etc. There were a few issues around Ferrovial's history. Nothing wrong with good due diligence and in fact get it all out there so we can deal with it and move forward.
Quote:
Kim Day, DIA’s CEO, told the council that “we’ve heard you loud and clear” about the need to address worries about workers at the airport who might be affected by the renovation.

“We’ll develop a program with regard to workers, education and recruitment that will be part of our work during this pre-development agreement,” she said.
With respect to the Great Hall there's this general clarification:
Quote:
In the Great Hall, restaurants, shops and waiting areas would be added. And a public space would be created where people can meet passengers arriving at the airport that is separated from space for passengers who have gone through security.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 7:59 PM

I may be skeptical but

We are now two weeks into the grand experiment of South Broadway's protected Bike Lanes.

Photo courtesy of Gregory Nieto on Twitter

There were a couple of other photo-op shots when this officially opened but this was the cutest. You might notice that except for this staged photo shot there's nobody else in the bike lane. I haven't heard boo or poo about how this is going as all feedback happens behind closed doors. Shhh, quiet please.

I can think (way) back to when I used to frequent the Blue Bonnet Cafe and imagine how nice these bike lanes might have been for all my gf's. I can't believe that this place is still there. It's been 35 years since it was considered an undiscovered hole-in-the-wall gem place to eat good Mexican food, gather and drink.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 8:36 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I haven't heard boo or poo about how this is going as all feedback happens behind closed doors. Shhh, quiet please.
That's because when there is a boo or poo, it's like trying to reason with a concrete wall that thinks it's made of steel.
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 5:21 AM
Denver

Quote:

izquotes

Since we're on the topic...

Photos courtesy: Day Hikes Near Denver and MyTownCryer

"High Line Canal: Planners Want to Transform Its 71-Mile Course"
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 27, 2016 BY ALAN PRENDERGAST - Westword

photo credit: High Line Conservancy via Westword
"Denver, neighbors agree to chip in for High Line Canal project"
August 9, 2016 By JON MURRAY - The Denver Post

I've spent countless hours enjoying the High Line Canal. This area I'm especially familiar with as there was a small off-the-beaten-roadway where about a dozen cars could park. The path through Cherry Hills Village became a favorite for taking a companion or friend-in-need where you could just walk along at whatever the desired pace and laugh or cry depending on the need.

The High Line Canal Conservancy has been created to preserve and enhance the trail and to connect communities. Would you believe that it's the non-ideological efforts of people and communities that gets the best stuff done?

I love the High Line Canal! What a great asset for South Denver.

It is a shame that they don't run water through the canal at all anymore. It was nice to walk alongside the water. A lot of the trees seem to be suffering from the lack of water. The canal seems a bit less lush than it once was.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 7:53 PM

"9News: July was DIA's busiest month ever"
Aug 29, 2016 by DBJ television news partner - Denver Business Journal
Quote:
More people passed through Denver International Airport in July than in any other month of the airport's history.

Airport officials say 5.4 million people traveled through DIA last month.
Boom boom
Quote:
Twenty of the airport's busiest days ever happened in July, with the heaviest traffic coming through on July 29. With 186,351 passengers, that was actually the busiest day the airport has ever had.

July 2016 saw a 9.1 percent increase over traffic in July 2015, and a 7.5 percent year-to-date increase over last year.
Has be be everybody flying into Denver to check out the new Westin Hotel.

My trusty Wikipedia thread does not seem to be doing any mid-year updates so I did a little digging. It appears that JFK passenger traffic is up but by just a bit. Speculating that if DIA can hold to the current 7.5% increase for the year that they may be able to recapture the 5th slot for domestic airports.

I also checked SFO which is right behind Denver. If I understood the data correctly it appears that SFO could be this year's high riser with passenger traffic up about 11%, a figure that for an airport is amazing. Last year they were up a healthy 6.3% - compared to DEN's 1.0%.

With the Bay area being a business incubator to the whole country and a source of expansion, especially west of the Mississippi perhaps it was just a matter of time. They look to still be a couple of years behind Denver however.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 10:10 PM

MOAR TOD - Affordable TOD

Image credit: JG Johnson Architects via SW DEVELOPMENT GROUP

"More Affordable Housing Opens To Renters"
August 17, 2016 per DENVER (CBS4)
Quote:
The apartments are located adjacent to the Yale and Interstate 25 light rail station. The Garden Court at Yale Station features 66 affordable rental units for low and moderate income households.
Garden Court at Yale Station was a jv of Mile High Development and Koelbel and Co.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 9:07 PM

Quote:
"9News: July was DIA's busiest month ever"
Aug 29, 2016 by DBJ television news partner - Denver Business Journal

Boom boom

Has be be everybody flying into Denver to check out the new Westin Hotel.

My trusty Wikipedia thread does not seem to be doing any mid-year updates so I did a little digging. It appears that JFK passenger traffic is up but by just a bit. Speculating that if DIA can hold to the current 7.5% increase for the year that they may be able to recapture the 5th slot for domestic airports.

I also checked SFO which is right behind Denver. If I understood the data correctly it appears that SFO could be this year's high riser with passenger traffic up about 11%, a figure that for an airport is amazing. Last year they were up a healthy 6.3% - compared to DEN's 1.0%.

With the Bay area being a business incubator to the whole country and a source of expansion, especially west of the Mississippi perhaps it was just a matter of time. They look to still be a couple of years behind Denver however.
I've flown every week for the past 6 or so... just doing my part!

But what the hell with the train yesterday? Now I understand the complaints. It took me over an hour to get from DIA to Central Park station. And the train was packed well beyond ridiculous. They never mentioned what was wrong, but we sat there for about 20 min. before moving out from DIA, then had to stop twice, and it felt like we were going slow. I had a much more pleasant experience going from downtown to SFO on BART yesterday morning, and that included smelly homeless people on the train.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 11:19 PM
Aspiring Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by COtoOC View Post
I've flown every week for the past 6 or so... just doing my part!

But what the hell with the train yesterday? Now I understand the complaints. It took me over an hour to get from DIA to Central Park station. And the train was packed well beyond ridiculous. They never mentioned what was wrong, but we sat there for about 20 min. before moving out from DIA, then had to stop twice, and it felt like we were going slow. I had a much more pleasant experience going from downtown to SFO on BART yesterday morning, and that included smelly homeless people on the train.
BART is by many measures a better designed system, though of course BART has been in operation for much longer. It also had a lot of teething problems in its early years, including trains splitting in half while traveling and fires inside the Transbay Tube. That's important to remember.

I definitely miss BART though. I'd check my app, I'd walk from my apartment to the station when a train was approaching in exactly 12 minutes, and I'd have a one-seat ride to the airport going pretty much always at 65-80 mph. BART has its issues, but when it works, it works very, very well.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2016, 5:50 AM
Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesCO View Post
BART is by many measures a better designed system, though of course BART has been in operation for much longer. It also had a lot of teething problems in its early years, including trains splitting in half while traveling and fires inside the Transbay Tube. That's important to remember.

I definitely miss BART though. I'd check my app, I'd walk from my apartment to the station when a train was approaching in exactly 12 minutes, and I'd have a one-seat ride to the airport going pretty much always at 65-80 mph. BART has its issues, but when it works, it works very, very well.
Completely agree about BART, although when I expressed a similar sentiment a few months ago Bunt ridiculed me and asked if I had ever actually ridden the bart.

My experience riding the A-line the other night was similar to yours. The train left on time, but we were immediately slowed down by the single track section. Once we got closer to downtown the train really seemed to crawl. We arrived to Union Station about 15-20 minutes late. What the fuck is going on?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2016, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottk View Post
My experience riding the A-line the other night was similar to yours. The train left on time, but we were immediately slowed down by the single track section. Once we got closer to downtown the train really seemed to crawl. We arrived to Union Station about 15-20 minutes late. What the fuck is going on?
It seems to be an ongoing clustermess. Is it even fixable w/o additional capital investment is the big question.

Well Gee

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 12:51 AM
cities|transit|croissants

BART sucks as an urban subway, but it's great suburban rail. It all depends what you're comparing it to, and what you're claiming its purpose is.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 1:14 AM
Aspiring Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
BART sucks as an urban subway, but it's great suburban rail. It all depends what you're comparing it to, and what you're claiming its purpose is.
That's true to an extent. I think BART covers urban Oakland pretty well. As for intra-SF urban transit, it's not great, but Muni Metro picks up some of the slack. You also have to take into consideration the very different political and financial challenges to which it is subject. If you're comparing it to the Washington Metro (many people do, and they are similar systems on paper), I think it's an unfair comparison, as the Metro was able to pull from so much more federal funding early on in order to build itself out as a true urban subway. BART had an uphill battle facing counties that were openly hostile to joining BART and the GG Bridge toll authority hiring its own engineer to kill the case for BART running through outer SF, the GG Bridge, and the North Bay.

To be honest, I think there's a lot of similarity between BART's early problems and RTD's problems: regional desires taking priority over urban core needs, regional financial infighting, and early-on questionable tech. At least I suppose RTD covers the entire metro area and isn't dealing with two dozen other transit agencies at the same time.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 6:10 AM

"Past decisions haunt BART as it seeks voter OK for $3.5 billion bond"
September 2, 2016 by Michael Cabanatuan - San Francisco Chronocle
Quote:
“I would say it’s falling apart,” said Paul Oversier, BART assistant general manager for operations.

BART estimates that it needs $9.6 billion in improvements — an estimate that’s a couple of years old — just to keep the trains running.

BART officials hope voters will overlook past mistakes and approve a $3.5 billion bond measure in the Nov. 8 election, something that’s been described by some as just a down payment toward all that is needed to bring the system up to what it should be.
Interesting article.

Is transit really worth the investment?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 6:27 AM
Aspiring Amateur

Quote:
"Past decisions haunt BART as it seeks voter OK for $3.5 billion bond"
September 2, 2016 by Michael Cabanatuan - San Francisco Chronocle

Interesting article.

Is transit really worth the investment?
What would you suggest instead?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West