HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

View Poll Results: Which transbay tower design scheme do you like best?
#1 Richard Rogers 40 8.05%
#2 Cesar Pelli 99 19.92%
#3 SOM 358 72.03%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 6:38 PM
Have No Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlosborne3795 View Post
Someone, please help me...

Is this whole development approved, proposed, under-construction? ... Some one please tell me
From my understanding the terminal will for sure be built. As for the skyscrapers around it, they are still under proposal and will be built if the developers deem them a worthy investment.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlosborne3795 View Post
Someone, please help me...

Is this whole development approved, proposed, under-construction? ... Some one please tell me
Well not the "whole" development, the Terminal part just went under construction.

The tower part is still pending as of now.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 7:43 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Bad link...

Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 8:21 PM

Try http://transbaycenter.org/constructi...tes/demolition. If that still doesn't work go to www.transbaycenter.org, click on the 'construction updates' tab, and then on 'demolition information'.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 8:51 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
Try http://transbaycenter.org/constructi...tes/demolition. If that still doesn't work go to www.transbaycenter.org, click on the 'construction updates' tab, and then on 'demolition information'.
Thanks--exciting info--great to see the project actually move forward!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2010, 7:10 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Not much left of the ingress ramps. This is the Howard overpass:

Around the corner, there are only two small pieces of the old ramps left:

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Sep 6, 2010, 3:33 AM

has a design been selected?

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Sep 6, 2010, 3:41 AM

^^
It's the picture I posted near the top of the page, designed by Cesar Pelli.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2010, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
^^
It's the picture I posted near the top of the page, designed by Cesar Pelli.
yay exactly what i wanted! now lets just build SOM's tower

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 6:41 PM

The acceptance date for bids to excavate and shore the "train box" (underground) portion of the terminal has been pushed back a month, to October 12th.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 6:47 PM
BANNED

I would KILL for some actual news on the tower. We haven't heard anything in three years!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_strangelove View Post
I would KILL for some actual news on the tower. We haven't heard anything in three years!
Agreed.

I walked by the terminal yesterday and it looks like construction has halted or slowed considerably. The terminal is still pretty much totally intact and there seem to be dozens of homeless people are sleeping all around. Made me wonder what was going on.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 5:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberEric View Post
Agreed.

I walked by the terminal yesterday and it looks like construction has halted or slowed considerably. The terminal is still pretty much totally intact and there seem to be dozens of homeless people are sleeping all around. Made me wonder what was going on.
It appears they are moving right along with demolition:

http://sftoastedblog.blogspot.com/20...o-bye-bye.html

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 5:15 PM

^ Thanks for that link, it looks like they did some work over the past few days. Good news!

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 3:03 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.constructiondigital.com/i...transit-center

San Francisco Transbay Transit Center
Bringing a culture of mass transit, sustainability and urban revitalization to downtown San Francisco

BY: l.clapper
Sep 27, 2010

Quote:
In August 2010, construction began on the Transbay Transit Center in San Francisco, dubbed the “Grand Central of the West” and one of the city’s largest construction projects. Located near Mission and First Streets in the heart of downtown San Francisco, the project will be built on the former site of the Embarcadero Freeway on-ramps, which were destroyed in the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake. The cost of the Transbay Transit Center and the Caltrain Downtown Rail Extension totals $4.185 billion.

Designed by Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects as a cutting edge multi-modal transportation hub, the Transbay Transit Center will serve over 100,000 passengers per day and connect the eleven public transit systems of the Bay Area, including BART, Caltrain, Amtrak, Muni and Greyhound. It will also serve as the San Francisco station for the future California High Speed Rail. The Transbay Joint Powers Authority (TJPA) expects that the project will eliminate over 8,000 trips via automobile from the roadways of the Peninsula Corridor, ease congestion on highways 101 and I-280 and improve air quality.

DESIGN ELEMENTS

The design, selected at an international competition in 2007, incorporates elements of the natural environment to create a building that enhances the surrounding area. “We are very proud of our design for the Transbay Transit Center,” said Cesar Pelli, Senior Principal of Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects in a statement released in early August. “This will be a beautiful, functional and sustainable building for San Francisco.”

The Transbay Transit Center will feature a glass exterior with an earthquake-resistant concrete and steel structural frame. The glass, along with the 4,000-square-foot domed skylight that caps the 120-foot-tall light column, allows natural light to permeate through the building into the interior.

An urban park is planned on the top level of the transit center. The park design features walking paths, playgrounds, a 1,000-person performance venue, cafés, over a dozen gardens and a 1,000-foot-long fountain with jets that triggered by the movement of buses entering and exiting the transit center below.

The architects, seeking to achieve LEED Gold Certification, have incorporated several sustainable strategies into the design of the building. The urban park will capture and filter air and water pollutants through the vegetation and water management system. Further, the structure’s water management system will reuse grey water and manage stormwater, conserving over 9.2 million gallons of this precious resource every year.

A geothermal heat exchange system will be incorporated into the four-and-a-half city block foundation of the building. According to the architects, this system will be one of the largest geothermal installations in the world. Additionally, the structure also incorporates natural ventilation and lighting throughout most of the building.

PROJECT PARTICIPANTS

The Transbay Joint Powers Authority (TJPA), along with the City and County of San Francisco, are managing the development of the Transbay Transit Center. Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects was selected by the TJPA to design the project in 2007.

Webcor Builders is working with Obayashi Corp in a joint venture to build the center. Webcor submitted an estimate using Vico Software’s Virtual Construction Suite, a Building Information Modeling (BIM) program, to create an interactive model of the project. “We believe this is the first time such an integrated multi-dimensional process has been used on a major project in the United States,” said Jim Bedrick, Webcor’s Vice President of Virtual Building and Design, in a statement about the project.

ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT

The project is part of a revitalization effort to diversify and develop the local area. A 1,000-foot Transbay Tower will be built on the 48,000-square-foot parcel of land adjacent to the transit center. According to the statement released by the Pelli Clarke Pelli, bridges will be built to link the urban park of the transit center to the nearby buildings. “We want this to be a great transit center — one by which the city is perceived — but it must also be a great neighbor,” said Fred Clarke, Senior Principal of Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects in a statement in August.

The entire revitalization project — construction of the transit center, rail extension and redevelopment area — will create over 27,000 permanent jobs. The San Francisco Redevelopment Agency (SFRA) has announced plans to develop the surrounding property into a high-density housing and commercial area. Of the 2,600 residential units expected to be built, over 35 percent will consist of affordable housing. According to the TJPA, the redevelopment project will, “serve as a model for transit-oriented development by providing market-rate and affordable housing in a prime, pedestrian-friendly environment where using a car is unnecessary, due to its close proximity to downtown employment, and safe and efficient transportation options.”

The Transbay Transit Center is expected to open in 2017.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 9:11 PM
Sonoma Strong

some pix of the demolition from SSC:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhim100 View Post
There has not been a lot of update on this forum about u/c Transbay Terminal. Last month they started demolishing the existing terminal and surrounding approach ramps. Once completed this cluster will have a 400m supertall along with other high-rises and a new transbay terminal. There might be an underground Amtrak train station (not sure about that though). Projected completion date for this project is 2017. Here are some pictures I took a couple days ago. All pictures were taken from Fremont St. (between Mission and Howard).

All images cc: myself

Demolition work in progress at the Transbay Transit Terminal.

The approach ramp over Fremont St has been demolished partially. The ramp over Beale St. has been demolished completely. The next should be the ramp over 1st St.

The same ramp from the opposite side. Charles Schwab building on Howard St. in the background.

This was just mind boggling. They brought the concrete/asphalt ramp down while kept the steel structure intact. The reason it is mind boggling is they did that over last weekend and cleared the debris and opened Fremont St. for vehicles and pedestrians. The time it took them to do this work - only 48 hours.

My guess is this steel structure will come down this weekend.

The cleanest construction site I have ever seen.
of course we know the train station wont be amtrak but caltrain/future high speed rail.

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 10:23 PM

Terminal De-Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbay View Post
some pix of the demolition from SSC:

of course we know the train station wont be amtrak but caltrain/future high speed rail.
Unfortunately, my camera memory was full, so I couldn't take photos to update the earlier thread. I was downtown yesterday and can confirme the steel trusses over Beale Street are now gone and they are finished with most of the demolition of the old Transbay section over Fremont (it was closed to traffic all day yesterday). The appear to be prepping to remove the steel trusses over 1st St, then the last of the old passenger areas of the terminal will be demolished. There is also either a drilling unit (or small wrecking crane, can't tell from the street due to the construction fence) on the land allocated for the Tower construction. SF just moved into positive space absorption for this quarter, but don't hold your breath the tower comes out of the ground soon. I'm betting 2014 for construction (at the earliest).

Old Posted Nov 1, 2010, 3:42 AM
Show me the blueprints

For a person that has the 'basic picture' of this great project, can someone please tell me why the rather inconsequential but noticeable decision was made to name the new development [Transbay Transit] Center as opposed to the long standing [Transbay Transit] Terminal? I tend to like sticking with what it's always been called. I like the sound of it much better - less generic in nature. Why fix something that isn't broken?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 1, 2010, 5:48 AM

Nice pics! Thanks for the update! And it will take how many decades to finish?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2010, 4:57 PM

Thanks for the updates guys, I was wondering what was going on. Glad they have something at least resembling a drilling unit on the tower parcel.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development