HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 7:51 PM
Resident Moron

I mean, if you grew up in Austin, I wonder what your experience in Republic Square park or Woolridge park was in the 90s and 00s? Because I remember both of those being basically completely unusable as park space.

As someone who frequents the greenbelts more than most there are a lot less homeless people living in them. On the downclimb from 90% of routes on the greenbelt you would see tents just out of site. You really don't anymore. The downtown parks were basically always encampments to the point that you couldn't use them at all. The first time in my entire life I went to woolridge park was like 2 years ago.

Right now the biggest issue seems to be the sidewalk on CC and the area of lady bird lake right behind it. Camping in parks is *still* illegal (and has been since forever) - anyone camping in a park is an enforcement issue.

I think the two large encampments on CC (the one at South Congress and the one on the East side) likely have both moved into the cities definition of "blocking the sidewalk" and either need to be removed or downsized considerably, but *most* of the camping seems to be under freeways which other than looking not great seems an improvement to all of the downtown parks being completely filled with people sleeping on the ground at night.

I just wish people who *don't* like the camping situation would be more honest that Austin's homeless situation was not suddenly created and no one ever camped in urban areas before the change from council. Like, if we go back to the way things were its not like there weren't homeless people downtown.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 9:28 PM

Triplets. Opinions?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 9:45 PM
Resident Moron

they aren't unattractive buildings, but the stucko combover is not going to age well over the next 20 years.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 9:50 PM

They're all modern, tall, and aren't ugly. None of them are very architecturally distinctive, but they don't need to be. They'll help fill out the skyline.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 11:20 PM

I personally like Hanover Brazos the most.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echostatic View Post
They're all modern, tall, and aren't ugly. None of them are very architecturally distinctive, but they don't need to be. They'll help fill out the skyline.
The skyline will look so different in just a few years.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 1:14 AM

Vancouvery infill.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Vancouvery infill.
I feel we will look a lot like Vancouver.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papertowelroll View Post
When I was a kid growing up in Austin you went to a state park to go camping. It was not permissible to throw up a tent on town lake and live there. It's honestly crazy to me that this is now an issue that we debate.
It is an issue we debate because the problem is finally out in the open. Indeed, forcing people to debate it has been one of the best outcomes of allowing homeless to set up camps in downtown, because it has really revealed who values businesses and profits more than human life, and wants to simply sweep the homelessness problem back under the rug.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 9:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post
It is an issue we debate because the problem is finally out in the open. Indeed, forcing people to debate it has been one of the best outcomes of allowing homeless to set up camps in downtown, because it has really revealed who values businesses and profits more than human life, and wants to simply sweep the homelessness problem back under the rug.
I was trying to change the subject. The homeless matter just makes me angry.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
Yeah, just like how San Fran and Seattle's real estate markets collapsed and all restaurants closed.
Was in downtown Seattle just before covid lockdowns. its a POS. I would not live there.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 4:03 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
Was in downtown Seattle just before covid lockdowns. its a POS. I would not live there.
I have good news, you in fact don't have to live in Seattle, given their real estate market it seems lots of people would disagree with you. I would gladly live in Seattle if it didn't rain every day.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 4:22 PM

Quote:
I have good news, you in fact don't have to live in Seattle, given their real estate market it seems lots of people would disagree with you. I would gladly live in Seattle if it didn't rain every day.
Their summers are amazing though.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 5:09 PM

Seattle has many beautiful places to live, but downtown is not one of them.

https://thebulwark.com/seattle-surrenders/

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 6:00 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
Seattle has many beautiful places to live, but downtown is not one of them.

https://thebulwark.com/seattle-surrenders/
My friend lives in Capital Hill and I've spent a *lot* of time there pre-pandemic and it is absolutely one of the most hopping nightlife scenes in the country. The reanimated corpse of Bill Kristol's daily standard isn't going to convince me otherwise.

Also, FWIW, Austin is in fact *not* Seattle and our homeless policies are substantively different.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 1:28 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
they aren't unattractive buildings, but the stucko combover is not going to age well over the next 20 years.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
Sigh. So about 4.5 years ago a church bought a bus ticket to Austin for a homeless man who asked for the ticket. An anecdotal, one off story such as this still does not provide sufficient data, evidence, analysis to show that other cities have an agenda to send their homeless to Austin. If you're still intent on showing that such a thing is a problem, you need way more than just one off anecdotes. If people are going to make such claims about other cities intentions to send their homeless here, there needs to be more than just anecdotes to show that this is happening. Anecdotes are not proof of anything, anywhere at any time.
i have pointed to an article showing that their is a 1way busing system in this country that has existed for decades and also said there is plenty of information on this issue via settlements you can read about online or documentaries you can watch.

i posted an article saying this was indeed happening in austin and showing the 17% jump that increased in 2017.

someone else posted an article showing that giddings did this with homeless a man just last week.

you have made it quite clear that you do not want to engage in this conversation in good faith.

i will not be responding to any of your further posts on this topic.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 4:39 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
i have pointed to an article showing that their is a 1way busing system in this country that has existed for decades and also said there is plenty of information on this issue via settlements you can read about online or documentaries you can watch.

i posted an article saying this was indeed happening in austin and showing the 17% jump that increased in 2017.

someone else posted an article showing that giddings did this with homeless a man just last week.

you have made it quite clear that you do not want to engage in this conversation in good faith.

i will not be responding to any of your further posts on this topic.
Take it for what it's worth...but, there are ranking members of city hall who are aware of the situation. However, it is almost impossible to quell.

Instances of this activity have been whispered in the corridors of city hall for years. I would not be surprised if the issue increased with the lifting of the camping ban.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 4:44 PM

Quote:

No, you posted an article that showed the total homeless population increased 17%. Not that there was a 17% increase in moves to Austin.

And it was 2016, not 2017.

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/hom...kets-to-austin

Quote:
For the first time in _7 years_.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...him-to-austin/

oh, and that article directly disproves your earlier claim that:

Quote:
2. WELL over 50% of the homeless here are from out of the city

Now who's being dishonest and acting in bad faith.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 4:57 PM

[QUOTE=lonewolf;9245888]i have pointed to an article showing that their is a 1way busing system in this country that has existed for decades and also said there is plenty of information on this issue via settlements you can read about online or documentaries you can watch.

/QUOTE]

yep - its occurring from surrounding areas too. i.e. Kyle

Pretty much the argument I've seen here is:

for those who dont oppose this situation, is what we have now works. tough titties if its in your backyard or causing damage to your business.

The other side: city hall, do your job, apply some rules to this, get it fixed, its not working.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin