HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Oceanwide Center I in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 26, 2016, 7:23 PM
Pro Web Slinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyinthecity View Post
i wonder why skyscraperpage took 50 First off the San Francisco diagram?
They didn't. I just checked. Maybe you're not clicking the "with proposed buildings" link?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2016, 8:01 PM

thanks--here's another diagram of it.

yep. thanks! i missed it.

source: 50first pdf at SF planning.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 5:20 AM

The hotel operator has been locked - Waldorf Astoria. Hopefully, this helps keep pace for a fall groundbreaking.

http://sfist.com/2016/08/05/waldorf_...nd_for_som.php

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 5:59 PM

Foster + Partners Releases New Images of Oceanwide Center

Quote:
The densifying South of Market neighbourhood in San Francisco is becoming a haven for shimmering glass towers, and new renderings released by Foster + Partners shows how the latest set of skyscrapers will fit in with the district's emerging contemporary vernacular. Designed in collaboration with Heller Manus Architects, the Oceanwide Center was recently granted permission from the Planning Commission.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 3:09 AM

As of this morning, they have scaffolding up on one of the smaller buildings they're planning to demolish to make room for this beast.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 2:46 PM

Thanks for the update, edwards.

The project received full demolition permits on 8/31:

http://dbiweb.sfgov.org/dbipts/defau...=PermitDetails

Once the 15 day appeal period has passed, they'll be ready to start.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2016, 10:02 PM

I'm jacked up about this tower!

Last edited by Justbuildit; Sep 16, 2016 at 10:25 PM.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 4:30 PM
Fake News

My only beef with this building is the backside with the elevators. The corners of the elevator shafts peaking out near the top just looks sloppy to me.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 3:38 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyinthecity View Post
yep. thanks! i missed it.

source: 50first pdf at SF planning.
Dear God I just noticed the elevator banks aren't even symmetrical. So in addition to having those ugly corners you have random ugly corners. And it looks like there's one in the middle of the back crossbrace section nearer the top! But it's again not in the exact middle which makes it look even sloppier. I love the front of this building but cannot get past the back side. Could they not just make the building wider and hide the elevator banks inside of it?

Edit: Why couldn't they make the elevators and stairwells a feature like Foster did on the Bow in Calgary?

It would look a hell of a lot better and more intentional. This to me seems like bad design because they are ignoring the necessities and trying to work them around a single side. Instead they should embrace the elevators and incorporate them properly. Right now they look like Popsicle sticks holding up the tower.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 5:59 PM

Quote:
So in addition to having those ugly corners you have random ugly corners.
Yeah! How could they do that? What city would allow a prominent tower to have the elevator shafts sticking outside the form of the building?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 6:29 PM

Much of the building design had to do with the existing site conditions, zoning restrictions, and client needs. To have maximized floor plates as the client desires, the elevator cores are pushed to the corners spaces available at the west end of the site. This permits the largest free open office space possible within the confines of the building envelope and site. The architect team has done their best to integrate these limitations into what I feel is an excellent overall design solution.

Original source: San Francisco Planning

By the way, those of you who think the Parcel F is the last of the so called "supertall" sites in San Francisco, there is still another 700 foot plus site just west of Oceanwide Center. It is that "U" or backwards "C" shaped site just above Oceanwide in the bottom panel of the three drawings images above. This is the Golden Gate University site. Plans for this site are still pending.

Last edited by SFView; Sep 20, 2016 at 6:42 PM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 9:00 PM

This is much prettier than that Calgary building, which is just a rehash of Hearst in New York. Congrats SF!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 9:08 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudley View Post
Yeah! How could they do that? What city would allow a prominent tower to have the elevator shafts sticking outside the form of the building?

That's purposeful and a focal point of the design. The Foster design's focal point is clearly the front facing the street. Everything on the backend just looks mishmashed together with no attention. Plus the pyramid tower is symmetrical, unlike the random corners poking out that don't look intentional.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 9:12 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
This is much prettier than that Calgary building, which is just a rehash of Hearst in New York. Congrats SF!
The cladding on the Bow is virtually identical to the Heasrt building but the concave side is still unique looking.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 9:15 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFView View Post
Much of the building design had to do with the existing site conditions, zoning restrictions, and client needs. To have maximized floor plates as the client desires, the elevator cores are pushed to the corners spaces available at the west end of the site. This permits the largest free open office space possible within the confines of the building envelope and site. The architect team has done their best to integrate these limitations into what I feel is an excellent overall design solution.

Original source: San Francisco Planning

By the way, those of you who think the Parcel F is the last of the so called "supertall" sites in San Francisco, there is still another 700 foot plus site just west of Oceanwide Center. It is that "U" or backwards "C" shaped site just above Oceanwide in the bottom panel of the three drawings images above. This is the Golden Gate University site. Plans for this site are still pending.
Thanks for the info. I really love the front half of the building. I just wish the elevators were at least symmetrical if they had to have them on the back. Drives my OCD mental!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 2:08 AM
Build Baby Build

Some of the renders above are deceptive because they cut out 90% of a human's view to focus on cropped details from crazy angles. The rendering below shows the 'extension' to be very attractive, and almost like another building altogether from the South. This is going to be one of the most iconic in the city from street level.

Images are from the architect's website.
http://www.fosterandpartners.com/pro...anwide-center/

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudley View Post

Ok, I did laugh, but I feel the Transamerica's elevator shafts actually kinda add to the look of the building in a nice way. This building is a tad asymmetrical, if the renderings are to be believed.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 5:15 AM

As I sort of mentioned, the building is shaped to fit the outline of the site not wasting any valuable real estate. Perhaps, after 10 years you may get used to the building be asymmetrical. There may be a 700 foot plus tall building right in front next door on Mission hiding most of what is asymmetrical by then anyway, when viewed from much of the southwest - if it ever moves ahead, that is.

Actually, I still think Oceanwide Center will look fantastic based on what we have seen so far, asymmetry and all. It is still one of my favorite designs of the current period in San Francisco.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 6:48 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
That's purposeful and a focal point of the design.
Transamerica's exterior elevator shafts are a direct result of the tower being downsized by the city.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 4:41 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Transamerica's exterior elevator shafts are a direct result of the tower being downsized by the city.
Interesting. I didn't know that. So was it supposed to just be a much taller pyramid then? In any case the symmetry of the elevator shafts looks intentional and really has become part of its signature.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive