HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 2:43 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
Unpopular opinion here (IDGAF), but beaches in and of themselves are super overrated, especially in urban or semi-urban areas. It's like you invest all this time fighting traffic, mass transit and / or parking to walk, lay or otherwise hang out on a filthy, littered, uncomfortably hot or cold swath of sand with a bunch of unsanitary, bad-habit having people overlooking ridiculously polluted water for hours on end.

And for what? So you can brag to "Phil" back in the office on Monday about how much fun you had out at the beach or down on the shore last weekend.

Yeah, I'm good.
To me the purpose of beaches is the water itself, for getting wet/swimming/surfing/boats/etc.

I don't know what SF beaches are like but I imagine the water is generally too cold for casual swimming. Maybe experienced surfers.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 2:53 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post
New York and San Francisco are, in my opinion, the only places no matter where you are in the city limits, you know you're in that respective city.
Ahem:

Source: Maverick Aviation Group https://www.maverickhelicopter.com/l...as-nights-tour

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Exactly. Even Pittsburgh weighs in (heavily) in that department.

Thats one of the many reasons I couldn't wait to move away from San Francisco. People swear it's "all that", when in actuality it's far from it.
I think you lack all self awareness though, bemoaning their snobbishness while carrying on with your "I <3 NYC, world's capital! Everything else is beneath it" routine.

Are you sure you and that JR Ewing person aren't related?

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 3:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
I think you lack all self awareness though, bemoaning their snobbishness while carrying on with your "I <3 NYC, world's capital! Everything else is beneath it" routine.
Point out exactly which of my 881 posts in this forum contains the quote "I <3 NYC, world's capital! Everything else is beneath it".

I'll wait.

And the irony of a post denouncing boosterism coming from you, of all fourmers. Talk about pot calling the kettle.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 5:33 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by YSL View Post
Austin feels overal more yuppie than Houston, but Houston has actual rich areas Austin lacks. You definitely see way more suits in Houston.
I've been looking at general real estate prices, and even with Austin, its interesting how once you leave the city limits, prices drop incredibly.

Austin does seem a little more expensive than Dallas, but Dallas also has incredible neighborhoods where houses 2+ million are present. For some reason North Dallas seems to be where its at.

Houston I believe also has some hot spots of rich locations, and I've noticed not all locations of wealth are concentrated. You have some spots that seem to be pricey, and others not so.

Also noticed that "north" tends to be the nice neighborhoods, and South tends to be dumpy (Houston). But in general, anything North tends to be good for some reason in multiple cities. What is it about North locations...

Spoke to a fella at Home Depot who use to live in Friendswood Texas, and he said avoid Houston if possible. Crime is higher there for some reason.

Possibly Austin is worth the price increase and cost of living if it means less crime...

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 7:27 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Unpopular opinion here (IDGAF), but beaches in and of themselves are super overrated, especially in urban or semi-urban areas. It's like you invest all this time fighting traffic, mass transit and / or parking to walk, lay or otherwise hang out on a filthy, littered, uncomfortably hot or cold swath of sand with a bunch of unsanitary, bad-habit having people overlooking ridiculously polluted water for hours on end.

And for what? So you can brag to "Phil" back in the office on Monday about how much fun you had out at the beach or down on the shore last weekend.

Yeah, I'm good.
Huh? What? I have yet to visit an urban beach that is constantly like this. Surely Santa Monica and South Beach were relatively clean and even had nice good looking people among the regular crowds.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 7:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I've been looking at general real estate prices, and even with Austin, its interesting how once you leave the city limits, prices drop incredibly.

Austin does seem a little more expensive than Dallas, but Dallas also has incredible neighborhoods where houses 2+ million are present. For some reason North Dallas seems to be where its at.

Houston I believe also has some hot spots of rich locations, and I've noticed not all locations of wealth are concentrated. You have some spots that seem to be pricey, and others not so.

Also noticed that "north" tends to be the nice neighborhoods, and South tends to be dumpy (Houston). But in general, anything North tends to be good for some reason in multiple cities. What is it about North locations...

Spoke to a fella at Home Depot who use to live in Friendswood Texas, and he said avoid Houston if possible. Crime is higher there for some reason.

Possibly Austin is worth the price increase and cost of living if it means less crime...
Your assessment of North Dallas as a hub of wealth is, for the most part, correct, although most of the real (read: old money) in Dallas is concentrated slightly south in the Park Cities and Preston Hollow.

Allow me to help you out regarding your assessment of Houston. Most of the real wealth there stretches west from River Oaks and West University out to Memorial, Tanglewood, etc. North Houston has a few respectable middle- to upper middle-class neighborhoods (with a few nouveau-rich folks sprinkled here and there), but is by no means considered a primary pocket of wealth. Beyond the city limits northbound you eventually find yourself in upscale planned communities (e.g., The Woodlands), but they are no where near as appealing to most of the Houston elite.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 7:37 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
Huh? What? I have yet to visit an urban beach that is constantly like this. Surely Santa Monica and South Beach were relatively clean and even had nice good looking people among the regular crowds.
Those are decent beaches, and if I lived in L.A. or Miami I might visit them once every year or two, but wouldn't be a primary point of attraction when calculating the overall respective appeal of each city.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Point out exactly which of my 881 posts in this forum contains the quote "I <3 NYC, world's capital! Everything else is beneath it".

I'll wait.
I'm not digging through your post history but this comment was a good example:

Quote:
Please do everyone in NYC a favor by not mentioning San Francisco in the same breath. Thank you kindly.
Very cringe when you said that.

Quote:
And the irony of a post denouncing boosterism coming from you, of all fourmers. Talk about pot calling the kettle.
Again total lack of self awareness.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 4:56 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post

Crime is higher here than Austin but Houston is a much bigger area with more diverse population (economically and ethnically). I also take what people in Friendswood say with a grain of salt; they live in a bubble and they rarely step out of their comfort zone.

The Clear Lake (NASA) area and Friendswood are nice areas and they are south of Houston. As for upscale neighborhoods up north, it's pretty much just The Woodlands and Kingwood, and they are pretty nice (I live in Kingwood) but they are not uber wealthy areas and they are all in town mostly to the west of downtown to the Memorial area. Houston has as much 'money' as Dallas but it's more understated. Houston is not short on flashy new money either.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 5:08 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Facebook: Workers Can Bid Goodbye To Menlo Park And Hello To Midwest – But With A Salary Cut
By Bruce Haring
May 21, 2020 4:35pm

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said Thursday that most Facebook employees can work from home wherever they want. But they should not expect to get Silicon Valley salary levels if they relocate to less-expensive areas.

If you qualify for remote work and move to cheaper areas, you will have to tell Facebook, and pay will be adjusted accordingly, Zuckerberg said. There will be “severe ramifications” for those discovered to be falsifying addresses.

Facebook has more than 40,000 employees. The company joined Twitter, which has also said its employees can work from home indefinitely.
https://deadline.com/2020/05/faceboo...rg-1202941243/

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 6:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I'm not digging through your post history
Of course you're not, because you know you won't find that quote.

Quote:
but this comment was a good example
As I said, I'll wait.

Quote:
Very cringe when you said that.
No more "cringe", snobby or elitist than when you said:

Quote:
Spring is beautiful, I feel bad for places that dont have seasons.
Quote:
Again total lack of self awareness.
What I (and you) are aware of is that you attributed a quote to me that I never remotely said / typed, I immediately exposed you for it, and rather than letting it go, you continue to make yourself look like a complete fool.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 6:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Crime is higher here than Austin but Houston is a much bigger area with more diverse population (economically and ethnically).
Care to expound on what "ethnically" has to do with Houston's crime rate? Because if I didn't know any better, I'd think you were implying something.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 7:08 PM

Quote:

What I (and you) are aware of is that you attributed a quote to me that I never remotely said / typed, I immediately exposed you for it, and rather than letting it go, you continue to make yourself look like a complete fool.
Doth protest too much.

I'm honestly not sure how you're still here, you incite city vs city in almost every thread and then go on and on ranting about it.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 7:19 PM

The worst beaches I have ever visited were in and around SF. One was so covered in dog s**t that I didn't even feel comfortable walking around. However, if you go up or down the coast, away from the city, there are some outstanding areas, especially late summer and early autumn when the marine layer is gone.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 7:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Doth protest too much.
Translation: "you are absolutely correct, and I have no sensible response."

Quote:
you incite city vs city in almost every thread and then go on and on ranting about it.
I'd ask you to cite an example, but we both know your track record for being able to do so.

Have several seats.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 8:06 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Care to expound on what "ethnically" has to do with Houston's crime rate? Because if I didn't know any better, I'd think you were implying something.
Does Austin have an area like Acres Homes or Sunnyside? I'll answer that for you. No. Houston has more downtrodden minority areas plagued by crime and poverty.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 8:19 PM
Future God

I suppose Nashville should take it as a compliment that in a thread about the Bay Area's tech workforce, people from both coasts decided it necessary to take pot shots at it for no reason at all!

Nashville, we're comin' up in the world, apparently!

-Bob Marley

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 8:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Does Austin have an area like Acres Homes or Sunnyside? I'll answer that for you.
Don't ask if you don't want a response.

My response - as someone who has lived and spent substantial time in all areas of both Austin and Houston - is yes, it does.

Quote:
Houston has more downtrodden minority areas plagued by crime and poverty.
Again, what are you suggesting / implying about minorities as it relates to Houston's crime rate?

Because you are really starting to sound like one of those "crimes are only committed by minorities / poor people" types.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 8:51 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
I suppose Nashville should take it as a compliment that in a thread about the Bay Area's tech workforce, people from both coasts decided it necessary to take pot shots at it for no reason at all!

Nashville, we're comin' up in the world, apparently!
Can you go hang gliding in Nashville though? That's the most important thing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions