HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 10:04 PM
Community Guy

Kinistinaw Park - Quarters

Kinistinâw Park will be built in two phases. The first phase is the block on the east side of the Armature (96 Street), between 102A Avenue to the north side of 103 Avenue. Phase 2 will also be along the Armature, but the exact location is still being finalized.

As part of The Quarters Downtown redevelopment, the City of Edmonton is working on a new park for the area, called Kinistinâw Park. The goal of this park is to create a community space for people to gather and to attract further redevelopment to the area.

Project Goals and Objectives:

Improve connectivity to open spaces within the Quarters Downtown

Make the Armature and Kinistinâw Park a focal point and a year-round gathering place in The Quarters Downtown

Use environmentally friendly sustainable landscape design practices

Ensure the publicly accessible open space is designed, maintained, and managed to help keep it vibrant, safe, and clean.

Future : Design and construction pending funding approval

Spring 2017 : Community Engagement - Design Direction of Phase 1

Winter 2017 : Community Engagement - Preliminary Design of Phase 1

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...inaw-park.aspx

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 11:44 PM

I have to say that's a poorly concocted survey. No age choice over 54, and it is so open-questioned I ended up not contributing much. I have no great ideas about the park other than what most would expect. I prefer to have surveys on more specific ideas as with the Insight surveys.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 3:37 PM
HVAC guru

This needs to be approached cautiously. A park should be considered ancillary development, not the primary driver. I'd hate to see a park in the middle of a wasteland like 96st is now... need to see some signs of life in that area of downtown first

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 3:45 PM
BANNED

Remember: If you put the cart before the horse in Edmonton, all you need to do is call it a "catalyst project" & bickety-BAM! You've got the manufactured justification for yet more spending without thinking it all the way through.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 3:48 PM
Community Guy

I have made a suggestion that it, Boyle Ren, and LMP all have 3-4 stations for outdoor fitness so that you can do a bit of a circuit. EPS and FIRE could use it many months of the year to have those specific eyes on the street as well as seniors in the area. I was overwhelmed by the amazing outdoor fitness parks in Shanghai.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
I have to say that's a poorly concocted survey. No age choice over 54, and it is so open-questioned I ended up not contributing much. I have no great ideas about the park other than what most would expect. I prefer to have surveys on more specific ideas as with the Insight surveys.
i passed 54 a long time ago (not sure whether that deserves a or a ) so my opinion might not matter much but...

a pocket park here might be quite lovely here one day when it's not in the middle of nothing but it's not going to be a catalyst.

the quarters plan was supposed to be a catalyst (and before that the plan for jasper east village).

the armature was supposed to be a catalyst (and will hopefully have an impact now that it's actually open and providing access instead of blocking it).

if we want a park connection to be a catalyst, instead of focusing on kinistinaw, the armature - or at least the pedestrian portions of it - should be extended north and curved west through mary burley park in a manner that then connects chinatown north with chinatown south and also ties in with the multi-use trail from clareview as it enters downtown. done right that would provide river valley access and connections to that network (including the proposed river walk etc.).

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
... if we want a park connection to be a catalyst, instead of focusing on kinistinaw, the armature - or at least the pedestrian portions of it - should be extended north and curved west through mary burley park in a manner that then connects chinatown north with chinatown south and also ties in with the multi-use trail from clareview as it enters downtown. done right that would provide river valley access and connections to that network (including the proposed river walk etc.).
Absomagfrikkenlutely. Thanks Ken. I would think bringing Chinatown North into the DT milieu should be a given.

Plus, given a Quarters LRT stop, would give people so many more reasons to come to the area (giving entrepreneurs more reasons to set up shop).

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
Absomagfrikkenlutely. Thanks Ken. I would think bringing Chinatown North into the DT milieu should be a given.

Plus, given a Quarters LRT stop, would give people so many more reasons to come to the area (giving entrepreneurs more reasons to set up shop).

It's going to take more than infrastructure improvements to turn this dream into a vibrant walkway. I'm all for it, but it won't happen as long as the elephant stays unacknowledged because it's not PC.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 10:58 PM

Oh, I think we're all aware it can be a rough and tumble area.

Certainly actions the city and province are taking to (try and) end homelessness should help.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 11:14 PM
Community Guy

Large Chinese senior population, EPS, Fire, many residents to the NE and some to the South.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
Oh, I think we're all aware it can be a rough and tumble area.

Certainly actions the city and province are taking to (try and) end homelessness should help.
I'm not sure eradicating homelessness is enough. The concentration of charitable, medical and aid organizations as well as halfway houses has led to a consistent gathering with an identity and sense of community. The daily gatherings remind me somewhat of the Cheers sitcom. Not necessarily the alcohol, but more along the lines of the opening song lyrics:
"Where everybody knows your name
And they're always glad you came.
You wanna be where you can see,
The troubles are all the same.
You wanna be where everybody knows your name"

I walk through the area often, though more so in warmer seasons, and this is my opinion of what I'm seeing. Newcomers are greeted by name, often with lots of hugs, handshakes and jocularity. Generally they aren't a menace to anyone walking through, though drugs, alcohol and/or mental illness add a level of instability to the situation. The frequent visits by police, ambulance and fire rescue backs this up.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 3:40 PM
Community Guy

Reminder

Please join us tomorrow between 4:30pm and 7:30pm at the Boyle Street Plaza to view two preliminary park designs and to share your comments on the designs. Also, please share this invitation with anyone you think may be interested.

Details
WHAT: Public Open House - Kinistinaw Park Preliminary Design
WHERE: Boyle Street Plaza, Willow Room (9538-103A Ave)
DATE: Thursday, March 23rd
TIME: 4:30pm - 7:30pm (drop-in format)

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 4:56 PM
Community Guy

Good open house last night, 2 concepts moving forward at the moment. Curious to see what shakes out.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlocked View Post

It's going to take more than infrastructure improvements to turn this dream into a vibrant walkway. I'm all for it, but it won't happen as long as the elephant stays unacknowledged because it's not PC.
Well one thing to consider is the return on investment for the developer and risk associated with building. The cost of building a midrise or high rise in Downtown or Oliver is the same as building in McCauley, with only the land prices being different and for multi-storey developments construction costs are significantly higher then the land.
So for example if you build Downtown and sell for $450 psf while it costs you $350 psf to building making $100 psf in profit or would you build in McCauley to sell for $350 psf and it costs you $330 psf to build making $20 psf in profit. Guess where developers are going. We will eventually see development in the East end but there is lots of room in downtown and the demand is still not there, so nothing will happen. One thing that might get things going is what the City did with Rail Town in Oliver. That might tip the scales for some developments to go and get the ball rolling. But until then we will have to sit and watch.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 3:05 PM

Consolidated Salvage

Has anyone heard any rumors related to interest in the Edmonton Consolidated Salvage/Supply Co site on 96th?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 3:17 PM

Besides digging a hole, what's happening across the ave south of Boyle Street Plaza?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinb View Post
Besides digging a hole, what's happening across the ave south of Boyle Street Plaza?

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/new-97-unit-supportive-living-home-breaks-ground-in-the-quarters

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlocked View Post
Has anyone heard any rumors related to interest in the Edmonton Consolidated Salvage/Supply Co site on 96th?
i'm not sure of the status on this one either with the city or with the receiver:

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...ate-scrap-yard

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 4:49 PM

Crane being erected for this project right now.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 6:24 PM
Community Guy

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton