lol j/k :-D

Kamloops ones are nice as well

Old Posted Nov 6, 2016, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. snazzy pants View Post
^ towers?

lol j/k :-D

Kamloops ones are nice as well
Ranging between 10 and 19 stories in that photo. Downtown's topography has an interesting levelling effect. I think you'd need to go 23-25 stories, except on Cedar Hill (right side of the photo) to be noticeably taller than other buildings, at least from that perspective.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2016, 11:12 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Some recent aerial photos of downtown Halifax:

Source

Old Posted Nov 6, 2016, 11:44 PM
ARTchitecture

Halifax is such an incredibly beautiful, dense, and urban city for its size. It truly is the Boston of Canada. I know people think very highly of the city already, but it's easily as underrated as Victoria and Saskatoon. It will be great once the city gets a rail transit system.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Halifax is such an incredibly beautiful, dense, and urban city for its size. It truly is the Boston of Canada. I know people think very highly of the city already, but it's easily as underrated as Victoria and Saskatoon. It will be great once the city gets a rail transit system.
Indeed. I fell in love with this city when I first visited in 2013.
If I was perfectly bilingual I would move there anytime.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 1:05 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
It couldn't possibly have been that long ago?!? It seems like just last year.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
It couldn't possibly have been that long ago?!? It seems like just last year.
2014, I was wrong
Late july , 2014 to be exact according to the date on my videos

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 2:18 AM

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 3:07 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
2014, I was wrong
Late july , 2014 to be exact according to the date on my videos
Ok, that sounds more like it. I was gonna say!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Your not? your english certainly comes off that way in text! Maybe such a move to English canada would force your bilingualism!

Agreed, I too love Halifax. I would love to move there if it weren't for family ties, etc. keeping me in Ontario.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 5:13 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Well I like it. A bit of a fixer-upper, but the fixes are in progress, so it's all good.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Your not?
That's a great example right there of something a francophone with only very limited English would've written the correct way, unlike you

Our contact with English is, by far, mostly through written English. It's the language of the Internet, etc.

So our written English is generally way above our spoken English, regardless of one's level. I'm in the same boat as Franks here.

For example, I did part of my BSc in California, and I recall that my teacher was absolutely shocked by my first written work -- it was flawless, while my spoken English back then was still very hesitant and with sometimes incorrect pronunciation and stressed syllable accents (and her expectations had been naturally set based on that).

It's one thing to write in English on forums like SSP, it's another to orally live in the language 24/7.

/offtopic

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 6:24 PM

That surprises me - I always assumed that everyone found it easier to speak another language than to write it. That is certainly the case for me in French and in Spanish. I've never had the confidence to write more than a sentence or two in French without running it by a francophone.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
That surprises me - I always assumed that everyone found it easier to speak another language than to write it. That is certainly the case for me in French and in Spanish. I've never had the confidence to write more than a sentence or two in French without running it by a francophone.
The explanation for our opposite experiences is very simple -- you grew up with the planet's lingua franca as your native language, so your exposure to French didn't happen mostly due to the fact the globe was running on French language while you and all the humans around you locally were instead using spoken English.

I'm sure most of Franks' exposure to English has been through the Internet, video games, etc.

All my NES games when I was a kid were in English only.

So our experiences (you vs Franks/myself) are absolutely reversed. But I guarantee you, everyone I know whose English is low-to-moderate (say, my mom) is FAR more confident writing something than having to say something.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
The explanation for our opposite experiences is very simple -- you grew up with the planet's lingua franca as your native language, so your exposure to French didn't happen mostly due to the fact the globe was running on French language while you and all the humans around you locally were instead using spoken English.

I'm sure most of Franks' exposure to English has been through the Internet, video games, etc.

All my NES games when I was a kid were in English only.

So our experiences (you vs Franks/myself) are absolutely reversed.
Interesting.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 6:36 PM

I'd add a few thoughts, while at it:

I agree with you that if you're aiming for absolute perfection (you mentioned "running your stuff by a native francophone first") then yes, if you're already at a high level or above, something written might more easily involve anything that can be spotted as faulty than something oral. So in that sense, yes, okay, if you're setting the bar at "I won't write anything unless I feel it's perfect; I won't say anything unless I feel it's perfect", maybe it's easier to speak. But that's also somewhat language-specific, as the challenge of writing is the spelling, while the challenge of speaking is pronunciation.

On the other hand, another factor which is pretty symmetrical for all languages is that when writing, you can hesitate and think; when speaking, the bar is a lot higher and there's more pressure on the speaker.

I find it more tiring (these days, it's not very tiring anymore, but still) to have to speak English continuously than to have to write English continuously.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I'd add a few thoughts, while at it:

I agree with you that if you're aiming for absolute perfection (you mentioned "running your stuff by a native francophone first") then yes, if you're already at a high level or above, something written might more easily involve anything that can be spotted as faulty than something oral. So in that sense, yes, okay.

On the other hand, another factor which is pretty symmetrical for all languages is that when writing, you can hesitate and think; when speaking, the bar is a lot higher and there's more pressure on the speaker.

I find it more tiring (these days, it's not very tiring anymore, but still) to have to speak English continuously than to have to write English continuously.
Yes, I was referring to professional work. I always found it interesting that I was seldom corrected for grammar - the comments were usually along the lines of "in French, we'd say it this way...". That would send me to a second or even third person for their opinion, which would in each case be different in some way. Language, it seems, is as much an art as a science.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada