HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 1:18 AM

I think a mix of both would be great. Bitter & Twisted along with services like flooring, a florist, and then a fast-casual dining option would be perfect, especially for when Barrister Place adds more residential units to the area.

Not every rehabbed retail center needs to house trendy restaurants; I have a feeling this same strategy is going to be used for the Welnick Warehouse on VB/4th that's being renovated... downtown needs to be livable, not just a place with 101 different 'chic' dining establishments.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 5:16 AM

I passed Luhrs City Center this evening and it looks like construction for the hotel is underway. Equipment to dig the base for the tower crane is in place.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 3:34 PM

If this is true, yet we haven't even seen a rendering (nor is one up on the developer's website), surely the city has architectural review/renderings as part of the application process, right?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
If this is true, yet we haven't even seen a rendering (nor is one up on the developer's website), surely the city has architectural review/renderings as part of the application process, right?
Wasn't that released some time ago?
Quote:
Marriott

Now under construction on the northwest corner of Central Avenue & Madison Street in downtown Phoenix, the all-new Luhrs City Center Marriott is a 19-story, 320-room hotel scheduled for completion in 2016. Designed to blend seamlessly with its historic neighbors while still offering state-of-the art guests amenities, the hotel will house two brands: a Courtyard by Marriott and a Residence Inn by Marriott, which will share a lobby and other amenities, such as the fourth-floor pool. When finished in 2016, Luhrs City Center Marriott will complete the Hansji Corporation’s decade-long preservation and revitalization efforts of this landmark city block housed between Central and First Avenues & Jefferson and Madison Streets.

http://www.luhrscitycenter.com/future/

Last edited by phxSUNSfan; Jan 19, 2015 at 8:24 PM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 9:29 PM

WTF - That is depressingly similar to the buildings at Cityscape. . . lol

a bunch of slapstick bullshit and demolition of historic structures for this crap - "When finished in 2016, Luhrs City Center Marriott will complete the Hansji Corporation’s decade-long preservation and revitalization efforts of this landmark city block housed between Central and First Avenues & Jefferson and Madison Streets. " what a load of shit

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVINphx View Post

a bunch of slapstick bullshit and demolition of historic structures for this crap - "When finished in 2016, Luhrs City Center Marriott will complete the Hansji Corporation’s decade-long preservation and revitalization efforts of this landmark city block housed between Central and First Avenues & Jefferson and Madison Streets. " what a load of shit
Seriously.

They've mentioned the podium with have a 'historic' kind of feel (use of brick, etc.) so I don't know if that's an exact rendering... we can hope they've tweaked it for the better.

On the plus side, maybe they can actually get some retail tenants once the hotel is open?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 11:23 PM

Quote:

I agree. I like the base of the building (through floors 4 or 5) with the large expanses of glass and some detailing including the overhangs and columns. The exterior material for the base looks like a darker brick finish. The rest of the tower looks like CityScape with more windows. We will have to wait an see, especially given the fact that we don't see the entire tower in the rendering.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 1:41 AM

I don't understand what the deal is about not showing a full rendering of the tower. It seems kind of strange to me that a full rendering hasn't been released yet. Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan View Post
I agree. I like the base of the building (through floors 4 or 5) with the large expanses of glass and some detailing including the overhangs and columns. The exterior material for the base looks like a darker brick finish. The rest of the tower looks like CityScape with more windows. We will have to wait an see, especially given the fact that we don't see the entire tower in the rendering.
True, however - I personally find it less concerning how this tower will fit in the skyline and find it more important how this building will interact with the street and look at pedestrian level . . . having to wait out a recession hardly constitutes "10 years of planning" etc give me a break.

This building, from what I see in this limited rendering, does NOT "blend seamlessly with it's historic neighbor" structures . . . - what, because it has similar set-backs? Not that revival architecture would be expected, but it's seriously bland and looks identical (even the base) to the Cityscape complex. My $.02.

Of course, we all better just eat it up because in Phoenix one must happily celebrate ANY development. . . even if it IS shit.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 9:55 PM

Quote:
True, however - I personally find it less concerning how this tower will fit in the skyline and find it more important how this building will interact with the street and look at pedestrian level . . . having to wait out a recession hardly constitutes "10 years of planning" etc give me a break.

This building, from what I see in this limited rendering, does NOT "blend seamlessly with it's historic neighbor" structures . . . - what, because it has similar set-backs? Not that revival architecture would be expected, but it's seriously bland and looks identical (even the base) to the Cityscape complex. My $.02.

Of course, we all better just eat it up because in Phoenix one must happily celebrate ANY development. . . even if it IS shit.
While it's true that there may be quite a large amount of shit in Phoenix, I find it hard to believe that most posters in this or any of the other Phoenix area threads celebrate any type of development, period. Even when it appears there is something celebrated by a poster, it is usually followed up by some type of pessimistic, Debbie Downer comment... and that's My $.02.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 12:44 AM

Quote:

I agree with your priorities, but I don't find the street-level interaction offensive at all. I think the base is well-designed; the corner of Madison/Central is activated by the large corner, glass entries into the joint lobby and it looks like there is an entrance for a restaurant on the far north of the Central frontage. I wish the whole thing was actually a bit more modern and sleek to contrast the historic architecture... but that's pure aesthetics. It'll be a nice break from the brown that dominates that section of the skyline, though.

Also, their marketing team only has the rendering we've all seen, but promised to send others as they become available. I debated between contacting the marketing person or the development team, but figured I had a better chance of getting a reply from the former... if someone is that curious, they could try the other contact posted on the site. I'm not motivated enough to see the top of what is likely just a blue-glass rectangle.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
While it's true that there may be quite a large amount of shit in Phoenix, I find it hard to believe that most posters in this or any of the other Phoenix area threads celebrate any type of development, period. Even when it appears there is something celebrated by a poster, it is usually followed up by some type of pessimistic, Debbie Downer comment... and that's My $.02.
I didn't mean US here on the forum . . . more so the residents of our community as a whole and it was all tongue-in-cheek anyhow, obviously there are people out there in this city who know what a good development is - it's just that there doesn't seem to be many in positions that make a difference who believe such!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 8:00 PM
Modulator

I'm not exactly sure what they're doing with this project, but I think there's more to this than the partial renderings we have seen. No tower crane going up yet (and doesn't look like they are even close to putting one up), but they are driving i-beams into the concrete where the sidewalk meets the street. I can't figure that one out. Are they planning on narrowing Madison?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 1:02 AM

They have a permit up for shoring, which describes some kind of courtyard within the ROW.

"SHORING FOR CENTRAL AVENUE AND MADISON STREET ONLY COURTYARD AT LUHR'S LOCATED AT 124 SOUTH
CENTRAL AVENUE WITHIN THE RIGHT-OF-WAY PER APPROVED SHORING PLANS."

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 6:05 PM

Saw this:

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/b...hes-in-on.html

This is great news. It adds the exact type of people into downtown Phoenix... young professionals.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Saw this:

This is great news. It adds the exact type of people into downtown Phoenix... young professionals.
Cool. Hopefully some of these employees will rent an apartment at Barrister Place once completed.

In the meantime, I hope the added occupancy to the office towers helps lease out the remaining ground level space. The interaction with CityScape will always be a huge disappointment, but at least "the Corner" is a bit more engaging on, well, the corner... it'd be cool to see a vintage clothes store or really any kind of retail that isn't a restaurant. Downtown needs more window shopping experiences, and the restaurant market has to be reaching a saturation point.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Saw this:

Yep, all six of them

If someone doesn't open a legit brewery Downtown by 2016, I'm quitting my job and doing it myself.

Millennial's want breweries - simple as that. I guarantee a Four Peaks would cause a noticeable influx of young people moving Downtown.

A CityTarget underneath an office/residential tower on the disgusting vacant lot east of CityScape wouldn't hurt, either.

Regarding Luhrs, I do like the renderings, it looks like it will blend well with CityScape.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Yep, all six of them

If someone doesn't open a legit brewery Downtown by 2016, I'm quitting my job and doing it myself.

Millennial's want breweries - simple as that. I guarantee a Four Peaks would cause a noticeable influx of young people moving Downtown.
They're supposed to be hiring 20 more.

I do agree with you about breweries... does Mother Bunch Brewery count for you? It's basically downtown at 7th Street and Garfield (They even put a 2-bike GRID station out in front of it). Or are you talking about something even closer?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
Downtown needs more window shopping experiences, and the restaurant market has to be reaching a saturation point.
While I totally agree about more shopping options I beg to differ about the restaurant market. The casual lunch restaurant market may be approaching a saturation point soon, though I would point out that plenty of types of fast casual eateries are not represented downtown yet. The fine dining and after hours types of places also have a very long way to go. Hopefully this next round of hotels and residential development gives downtown the shot in the arm it needs to get some Old Town and Mill Ave leftovers.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelbanger View Post
While I totally agree about more shopping options I beg to differ about the restaurant market. The casual lunch restaurant market may be approaching a saturation point soon, though I would point out that plenty of types of fast casual eateries are not represented downtown yet. The fine dining and after hours types of places also have a very long way to go. Hopefully this next round of hotels and residential development gives downtown the shot in the arm it needs to get some Old Town and Mill Ave leftovers.
Consider the residential numbers for downtown, though, compared to Old Town or Mill Ave. Downtown also still has a ways to go before it is on the same level as those two in terms of visitation. That's my only concern about how many restaurants there are; CityScape has been a "if you build it, they will come" situation which is very rare, but down by Roosevelt Row, I worry how many of these new bars and restaurants will be able to stay open without any residential projects breaking ground (this will change soon hopefully). Sounds like we're on the same page, though, as you mention the next round of hotels/residential development. I also agree that the type of establishment makes a huge difference -- I think we're set on coffee shops, but a 24/7 diner and more upscale/Sam Fox-style restaurants would be great.

Regardless, with AZ Center, Colliers and CityScape focused on mainly dining/nightlife establishments, I still would prefer to see something clothing/traditional retailers open. Downtown still isn't complete if you can't pick up shoes or an outfit without going out to the 'burbs.

I also completely agree about breweries. Not only are they attractive to milennials, but also to conventioneers according to almost everything I have read. A brewery in the old Matador space on Adams would be great. It also boggles my mind that the old Tommyknockers brewery is sitting empty in the Warehouse District for sale/lease with no suitors. If the Warehouse District is ever going to take off, that space needs to become a brewery ASAP.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest