HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 8:18 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
Recently heard that once the new parking garage is completed the plan is to demolish the old parking garage and extend the terminal north. This will allow for both the departure and arrival levels to be completely redesigned to accommodate growth. Ticketing and baggage claim will also have room to expand. Should see something once the new master plan is released.
I'm looking at a satellite image and trying to imagine this. Would this just be an expansion of the existing terminal, but not adding any gates? I just can't seem to figure out where additional gates would go in this scenario.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Recently heard that once the new parking garage is completed the plan is to demolish the old parking garage and extend the terminal north. This will allow for both the departure and arrival levels to be completely redesigned to accommodate growth. Ticketing and baggage claim will also have room to expand. Should see something once the new master plan is released.
Once the new parking garage is complete? Or after building a second new one (I thought the new one finished up last October)?

I thought the whole point of the new parking garage was for rental car operations? Where would those move if the old parking garage goes away? Or would they just lose a bunch of public parking.

I also don't see how this would work.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Once the new parking garage is complete? Or after building a second new one (I thought the new one finished up last October)?

I thought the whole point of the new parking garage was for rental car operations? Where would those move if the old parking garage goes away? Or would they just lose a bunch of public parking.

I also don't see how this would work.
I think he's referring to the new garage proposed on Lot A.

The garage that would be eliminated would be the current short term parking garage. I would imagine we could see something where the pick-up and drop-off areas are separated even more? Like this:

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinaustin View Post

The garage that would be eliminated would be the current short term parking garage. I would imagine we could see something where the pick-up and drop-off areas are separated even more? Like this:

Okay, I found a page on that proposed lot A garage.

http://www.bidnet.com/closed-governm...emId=380607516

It seems like they're calling for parking garage + administrative offices. And those new offices will free up space in the terminal.

Still seems like we'd be losing spaces (document at that link mentions the new garage would have the same massing as the existing parking garages), since it would have to replace the existing lot A and the first garage, and has a bunch of admin stuff.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 3:34 PM

Quote:
i think he's referring to the new garage proposed on lot a.

t

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 7:11 PM.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Still seems like we'd be losing spaces (document at that link mentions the new garage would have the same massing as the existing parking garages), since it would have to replace the existing lot A and the first garage, and has a bunch of admin stuff.
That's a good point. Not that my suggestion here will have any effect, but I bet they could preserve the lower levels of the existing short term parking garage and convert the top level to a passenger drop-off area, TSA screening area, and baggage check in area. The top floor of the short term parking garage is already flat and doesn't connect to the lower levels and has its own access/exit ramp. I think that could be a cool way to better utilize the existing structure while also allowing for more separation from the secured areas. All they have to do is build a roof for the top level (sounds simple to me!)

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 5:37 PM

Quote:

GREAT schematic design! That could work well. I imagine all surface lots will ultimately be converted to garages. Other airports have done this over time. Ft Lauderdale and Columbus come to mind. So replacing the short term garage won't be an issue, though it will be farther away from the terminal. In your plan it would be smart to put the offices / admin stuff on top of the new TSA/check in area...

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 5:46 AM

Condor extends Austin-Frankfurt nonstop schedule in 2017

G

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 7:11 PM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 1:56 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
That's what I'm talking about. Thanks for the visual.
I've often wondered about passenger drop-off/pick-up with expanded gates. Austin probably won't ever be IAH or DFW, but it's something they're going to have to consider. Looking forward to the new plans.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 5:38 AM

S

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 7:10 PM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 6:18 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I have never seen a map of where on the ABIA campus the south terminal is. Can someone help me out?

Nevermind. Finally found an article pointing it out on a map.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 6:30 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I only ask because I was wondering if the eventual main terminal expansion would wipe out this south terminal. If they decide to go with the pier design, they'd be able to keep this low cost terminal.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Good news for the Condor service to Germany.

http://www.austintexas.gov/news/cond...-schedule-2017

Also learned Aeromexico will be announcing nonstop service to Mexico City in the near future and that WOW air is sniffing around about possible service to their Reykjavik hub.

http://wowair.com/

WOW sounds like a stretch. Really glad to see service to Mexico City return. Hopefully it will survive this go around with Aeromexico flying the route.
Really excited about Aeroméxico... Not too excited about WOW

Not because of the destination, but I'd rather have Icelandair.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 1:23 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I only ask because I was wondering if the eventual main terminal expansion would wipe out this south terminal. If they decide to go with the pier design, they'd be able to keep this low cost terminal.
You can throw away every proposed schematic. They are starting over as they have already deviated from any of the proposed plans in the 2003 plan.

Where did you hear the rumor about extending north? It makes no sense considering the mass amount of construction on something that doesn't add gates and no easy way to get baggage over.

If they build a new structure from scratch then it is going to be an independent terminal west of the current terminal above the west runway or by the "new" south terminal.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 5:19 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post
You can throw away every proposed schematic. They are starting over as they have already deviated from any of the proposed plans in the 2003 plan.
Yeah, I know. That last plan seemed to cover just about all of the options, though.

Quote:
Where did you hear the rumor about extending north? It makes no sense considering the mass amount of construction on something that doesn't add gates and no easy way to get baggage over.

If they build a new structure from scratch then it is going to be an independent terminal west of the current terminal above the west runway or by the "new" south terminal.
Just a few posts up. Austin1971 mentioned it.

The west terminal idea you mention was also one of the options from the previous plan.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 1:23 PM

Quote:
It would be done concurrently with a plan like A-01, A-02, A-04, A-05, or A-06 (these plans allow for a new concourse to be created as an extension of the current terminal). The north extension would allow for a better passenger pick-up, drop-off, and security check experience which will be needed if we have double the number of passengers coming through in the future with just 1 terminal.

Also, if they do the north terminal extension, I would love to see them re-purpose the top floor of the short-term parking garage instead of demolishing it. That top floor would become the "north terminal extension."

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 7:45 PM

Vacant Austin airport building to get $12M facelift
http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...-facelift.html

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 12:17 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

So the South Terminal retro building was supposed to start demo yesterday according to Fox7.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawgboy View Post
so the south terminal retro building was supposed to start demo yesterday according to fox7.
s

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 7:10 PM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 6:05 PM
Member since 2001

Yippee! I too saw work being done as I was taxiing in on Tuesday.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin