HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

520 West 41 Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 7:38 PM

I really hope this design comes to fruition. The West Side will be the location of many new interesting towers.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 2:55 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Whichever one they decide, I hope they will still build that underground bus storage garage.

They plan to do that now just to the south...

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/2014...r-bus-terminal

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 3:00 PM

^^Thats right where there are several ramps to the lincoln tunnel, are they going to put the garage above all that spaghetti?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 7:18 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSsocal View Post
^^Thats right where there are several ramps to the lincoln tunnel, are they going to put the garage above all that spaghetti?

That's the basis of the plan...

Quote:
The agency's proposed Galvin Plaza Bus Annex would hold 100 buses in a depot on a vacant Port Authority-owned lot on the north side of West 39th Street, between 10th and 11th avenues, officials said. The facility would have direct connections to the Lincoln Tunnel and the Port Authority Bus Terminal, letting buses bypass city streets entirely.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 12, 2014, 4:27 PM

Neighbors: Silverstein's West Side Mystery Project Is Too Tall
Monday,
May 12, 2014,
by Curbed Staff

Quote:
Neighbors want active developer Silverstein Properties to tone down the height of its Mercedes Benz dealership-replacing development, planned for the far West Side. This opinion on 520 West 41st Street—known in the past as 514 Eleventh Avenue—quietly gained traction last week at a Community Board 4 meeting of the Hell's Kitchen Land Use Committee, which resulted in a draft letter (warning: PDF, pages 5-6) to the Department of City Planning requesting that the project's pre-application height of 1,100 feet get chopped down. The letter also emphasizes that that the 20 percent affordable housing the project may contain "must be evenly distributed in location and type throughout the building and contain an equal level of apartment finish and equal and affordable access to all building amenities."
Seems like there have been some huge changes here, time to update the thread title! Anyway, what are the odds that NIMBY's succeed?

Old Posted May 12, 2014, 4:45 PM

What kind of idiots deem an 1,100' building out of place on *42nd Street* of all places?

The Hudson Yards towers are going to dominate the vicinity anyways, we might as well build 1,000'+ residential towers to accompany the giants along Hudson Boulevard.

They should sell air rights for 10-20MSF of residential development in the neighborhood, and use the proceeds to pay for the completion of the 7-line stop on 42nd Street.

Old Posted May 12, 2014, 4:57 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

^Seriously. Also, weren't those parking spaces for the bus garage, or did that get canned?

Old Posted May 12, 2014, 6:10 PM
DENNAB

Are people actually going to listen to those morons?

God I hope not

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 1:58 AM

Isn't a 1,100 foot tower here as-of-right? And wasn't this area just rezoned to accommodate a tower of this size??

NIMBYs are the worst.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 2:57 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I wouldn't worry about the NIMBY threat. They can sue all they want; All the judges do half the time is to dismiss their attempts. Silly residents, tricks are for kids. If you don't like skyscrapers, move to suburban NJ.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 4:09 AM

There are no height limits on this site, so if they want to build a 1,100 ft. tower, they can do so.

That said, developers often need approval for other elements of their plans, and that requires public input.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 9:04 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
What kind of idiots deem an 1,100' building out of place on *42nd Street* of all places?
I think if his towers were 800 ft, they would complain about them being too tall. It's their reaction to anything. I was walking past the Silver Towers earlier today, and was thinking how tall they looked for their height. Once you get higher than that, it really doesn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
There are no height limits on this site, so if they want to build a 1,100 ft. tower, they can do so.

That said, developers often need approval for other elements of their plans, and that requires public input.
Silverstein just needed approval to get more residential built on the site. I'm not sure where that stands now, but it must be nearing approval if the NIMBYs are up in arms.

From the CB letter:

So, the current site plan is for 1,100 ft.

Last edited by NYguy; May 13, 2014 at 9:19 AM.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
So, the current site plan is for 1,100 ft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNY View Post
When I was taking pictures of this building, small group stopped right next to me. I overheard one person saying "We own this site and will build 100 story tower here". Not sure how reliable this street news can be.
Looks like the information from last September was credible and this will be 100 story tower. 1,100ft sounds beautiful, hopefully it will not get shorten because of nimby.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 2:47 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNY View Post
Looks like the information from last September was credible and this will be 100 story tower. 1,100ft sounds beautiful, hopefully it will not get shorten because of nimby.
Yeah, lets hope not. I don't get the complaining about the streetwall, as it is basically nonexistent there anyway. I would like to see a sliteplan.

Silverstein is basically seeking to get a bump of residential from 30% of the development to 60% (taking commercial space from 70% to 40%). CB4 wants to make sure that 20% is affordable housing. I don't think the City will impose a strict height limit on the site (though there is the rare exception like the Tower Verre). An increase in the residential would give De Blasio another opportunity to increase affordable housing, which the City is desperately seeking ways to increase. Silverstein Properties is the wildcard here. There won't be any building permits filed until this is approved.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 9:15 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

According to Curbed, the plans for the 1,100 ft version are now making their way through the Community Board 4 today. Also that this has 1,300 units just as a refresher. Amazing design. Lets hope it happens!

Last edited by chris08876; May 15, 2014 at 10:28 PM.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 3:55 AM
DENNAB

If I understand correctly these NIMBYs don't actually have any power so why worry?

Old Posted May 17, 2014, 10:18 PM
New Yorker for life

^ The NIMBYs don't have any direct say, but their whining could influence those that do.

Anyway, here's the design that won't be built, but a nice video of it anyway. I wish they could build it somewhere else in the city...

http://vimeo.com/95557833

Old Posted May 18, 2014, 2:18 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
^ The NIMBYs don't have any direct say, but their whining could influence those that do.

http://vimeo.com/95557833

Only if they gave them the time of day, and why on earth would they do that?

Old Posted May 18, 2014, 12:07 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Only if they gave them the time of day, and why on earth would they do that?
Because it's what they do. The issues of the community are often the issues of planning.

Old Posted May 18, 2014, 5:08 PM

Apropos this, the Christian Sabbath Day, I give you "The Serenity Prayer of the Anti-NIMBY":

"Lord,

Grant me the serenity to avoid the temptation
to throw a brick
upside a NIMBY cranium,

Otherwise,

The courage to do so,
both with the largest size implement available
conducive to making my point,
As well as an act of genuine concern
for my wayward neighbor,

But in either case,

The wisdom to either calculate with sufficient dispassion
how full of shit all NIMBY's really are...
...Or at least feel sorry
for how many bricks they've taken upside their *own* craniums
---never mind those thrown by other people---
that would leave their critical thinking skills
as half-dead as they are."

Last edited by JayPro; May 18, 2014 at 5:29 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals