HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 1:44 AM
Only Mostly Dead

^Indeed, you may be exactly right. From JK Dineen in the SF Business Times:

Quote:
Another office site, the surface parking lot, belongs to Tishman Speyer. On the street there is a lot of talk that Tishman will go ahead and build, speculation, I suspect, based not on any inside knowledge but on the fact that it’s a fantastic site and Tishman demonstrated that it’s willing and able to build the finest Class A towers in town, both condo and office.
The caption that goes with the photo of the current parking lot at that link says:

Quote:
222 Second: Tishman Speyer could break ground this year on an office tower here.
Given how hot SOMA office space is, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see them build this on spec.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Given how hot SOMA office space is, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see them build this on spec.
Definitely seems possible. TMG Partners started the $87M rehab of 680 Folsom on spec back in November and then just two months later they signed Riverbed to 160,000 SF.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 5:27 AM

Leasing signs are up:

Last edited by 1977; Feb 16, 2013 at 11:08 PM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 5:54 AM

Wow, that seems like good news.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 6:56 AM
Paramoderator

Nice. I have a thing for simple, classy towers, so I really like this project.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 6:59 AM

Nice! I'm pretty excited about this one. It has a nice design (it's reminiscent of 555 Mission, which is one of my favorite towers in SF) and will have a relatively big impact on the skyline and immediate area despite being somewhat short, as it will be both on the edge of downtown and be taller than most buildings within a few block radius of it (with nothing taller to the south).

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 3:34 PM

I am excited about this building as well...especially if the glass curtain wall turns out like the rendering below. The 'overlapping' sheets of glass are kind of reminiscent of scales. Love it.

www.hellermanus.com

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 4:50 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech12 View Post
Nice! I'm pretty excited about this one. It has a nice design (it's reminiscent of 555 Mission, which is one of my favorite towers in SF) and will have a relatively big impact on the skyline and immediate area despite being somewhat short, as it will be both on the edge of downtown and be taller than most buildings within a few block radius of it (with nothing taller to the south).
Plus, it will largely block the ugly side of One Hawthorne. Not to mention: one less surface lot in SOMA!

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 5:44 PM

Wow, those "scales" are super cool! This just gets better and better.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 6:37 PM

^Yeah it's pretty cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Plus, it will largely block the ugly side of One Hawthorne. Not to mention: one less surface lot in SOMA!
Good points, those are some other good things. It's kind of amazing how One Hawthorne looks so nice from one side, yet the other side is mostly a boring concrete wall. It's like the architect got lazy while designing it, or they ran out of money for a complete glass skin or something. Though it might have just been done in anticipation of another tower going up right next door...but it's still ugly. Anyway, it's exciting to see the highrise core of the city expand outwards, and this whole part of downtown will feel so different when/if all the proposed transbay and rincon hill redevelopment towers get built. Now we just need the NIMBYs in telegraph hill, northbeach, chinatown, nob hill, etc, to stop screwing with every tall proposal in the northern part of downtown....though with 8 Washington Street and 350 Bush approved, and the new City College campus built, as well as a few more 10+ story buildings approved in the Tenderloin and along Van Ness, things are looking up (no pun intended hurrf durf).

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 7:39 PM

According to the SF Business Times, Tishman is planning on breaking ground early next year...

Quote:
In addition, Palmer said that the company plans to break ground early next year on an even bigger San Francisco bet -- a 27-story, 450,000 square foot tower at 222 Second St. The 222 Second St. building will be completed in the fall of 2014, Palmer said.
Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...ry-square.html

Last edited by 1977; Apr 6, 2012 at 7:51 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
According to the SF Business Times, Tishman is planning on breaking ground early next year...
That's a bit disappointing that it won't start until next year. I was really hoping that one could start this year. They still seem serious about building it though, so that's good.

And, it's good to hear that Foundry III will break ground soon.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 4:34 PM

Maybe the timeline has moved up a bit?

Quote:
Office developers scour for more square feet
San Francisco Business Times by J.K. Dineen, Friday, June 22, 2012

With downtown vacancies now under 9 percent and rents climbing into the mid $50s a square foot, developers are pouncing on land and redevelopment plays with an optimism not seen since 2006. On Howard Street, Tishman Speyer is digging the foundation on Foundry Square III, a $200 million speculative development. Around the corner at 222 Second St., Tishman Speyer is also looking at a late 2012 construction start date for a 450,000-square-foot, 22-story tower.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesweeper View Post
Maybe the timeline has moved up a bit?
Great news! Let's hope this momentum continues.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 7:34 PM

Looks like they're planning to start construction this summer. The footprint of the tower has been slightly downsized (the tower will now have 430,650 square feet of office space and 2,100 of retail, vs. 450,000 and 5,000 previously) because they weren't able to acquire the loading dock from neighboring 631 Howard, but the height remains the same.

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2....html#comments

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 10:02 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

The render:

socketsite

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 7:45 AM
heavy user of walkability

I'm happy to hear it had to slim down a bit, but it still looks too bulky, and maybe too glassy, for its location to me. it's kind of a boring design too, but mostly it just feels out of place. wish they had gone a different direction with this one.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 5:23 PM

I like the bulkiness. It's masculine and fills in the canyonized street wall nicely. I don't really like the look of skinny twiggy towers poking up everywhere (Rincon Hill). Plus it is replacing a parking lot- that's huge progress.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 2:07 AM

i work a block away and think it will serve as a nice contrast on 2nd. I can't think of any pure glass buildings along 2nd (closest being 555 mission which is between 1st and 2nd), and it will also be very close to the old pactel building.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 6:51 AM

Tishman just got the building permit issued, so hopefully we'll have another groundbreaking soon:

Also, I'm not sure what the standards are for determining building height, but according to this planning document, the roof height is 350' and the total height (including mechanical parapet) is 370'.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive