HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 23, 2015, 12:04 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Because trolley buses are not sexy.

The battery buses are in a trial phase. They are supposed to show their weaknesses here in the place they are built. Plus you have to remember this is an emerging technology. Give 'em some time.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2015, 2:45 AM

All electric with no additional on-roadway infrastructure will be an incredible thing once they get it all going.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 11:14 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

The Great Canadian Talk Show / City Circus:

August 24, 2015 clip on BRT:
http://citycircus.ca/transit-officia...nds-brt-model/

Pambrun's an idiot.

Marty has always been against BRT and has called out the 'bike lobby' as being the ones who are in favour of it.

Here, he reviews the hearings into the Parker lands, with quotes from the local media.

Last edited by LilZebra; Sep 1, 2015 at 1:40 AM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 11:22 PM

That guy has a website, eh? I've always counted my blessings when I've been lucky enough to catch him ranting on public access tv but never thought I'd have the chance to become a regular viewer.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 2:06 PM

Marty is generally spot on, though I dont always agree with him.

If CJOB was smart, they'd hire him to fill the drive home spot.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 2:24 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
Marty is generally spot on, though I dont always agree with him.

If CJOB was smart, they'd hire him to fill the drive home spot.
I don't know the radio business much, but in my opinion he is too segregating. Although from the people they already hire, perhaps that's what they go for?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 2:30 PM

^ Marty's not my cup of tea, never listened to him for more than a few minutes at a time, but at least he's relevant and has good news instincts. Probably a better choice than the bland stuff CJOB serves up for the most part these days.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Marty's not my cup of tea, never listened to him for more than a few minutes at a time, but at least he's relevant and has good news instincts. Probably a better choice than the bland stuff CJOB serves up for the most part these days.
Didn't they used to run Marty out there as a fill-in guy every now and then?

Marty ain't my cup of tea either, but there's something more to be said about suspecting graft around every corner as opposed to suspecting none which is what we get with most of our media these days. At least it gets a conversation started. I actually think he'd be a ratings boon. There's nothing else even close by comparison.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 4:01 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

I was on Marty's show once at RRC. He is a very friendly, engaging fellow. He could easily do CJOB if he toned things down a bit.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 4:28 PM

^ Yeah... from what I've seen, he strikes me as a good egg, just that he gets maybe occasionally a little too into whatever angle he's chasing.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2015, 1:40 AM

http://citycircus.ca/survey-says-mar...t-coun-allard/

Is the Marion Freeway that Marty refers to the same thing as the Eastern Freeway from W.A.T.S.?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 2:34 PM

Marty filled in for Currier a few summer's ago. If I recall, Mayor Sammy was boycotting CJOB but was always on Marty's show on KICK so when Marty filled in, he made sure to feature an interview with Sammy. It was a very good week of programming. He'd fit in no problem aside from having to cut half his show out due to commercials.

I was always surprised at the wide demos that listened to Marty. Just at my work place when I'd mention his name, everyone from stoners to upper management mentioned having his show on in the car on the drive home. He's done a lot with virtually no real marketing behind him. As a featured CJOB guy, he'd be great!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 3:04 AM

CBC says rush hour services are being cut due to a lack of buses stemming from a maintenance backlog?!?!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...tage-1.3221930

How on earth can this be allowed to happen as students head back to school? There's no faster way to repel riders than by randomly eliminating scheduled services.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 3:39 AM

Quote:
CBC says rush hour services are being cut due to a lack of buses stemming from a maintenance backlog?!?!

How on earth can this be allowed to happen as students head back to school? There's no faster way to repel riders than by randomly eliminating scheduled services.
well the buses have problems with the low emissions crap found on 140-169 601-640 800-888 so these buses will be the most effected and the problems pop up over time its not like it happened over summer and got left till now there trying there best with short staff.

Last edited by Wpg transit 163-1; Sep 10, 2015 at 3:40 AM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg transit 163-1 View Post
well the buses have problems with the low emissions crap found on 140-169 601-640 800-888
I may sound like an NT (neurotypical) here, but sorry, I'm not familiar with engine venacular, can you explain what you mean by 'low emissions crap'? Especially the 'crap' part.

Were the emissions specs. revised after they were mfgr'd years ago? Are we all of a sudden using Calif. Emissions Standards?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 8:13 AM

Quote:

Didn't the ATU warn there could be problems with scheduling buses for months after they settled with Transit because of the refusal to work o/t during the recent contract negotiations

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj_wpg View Post
I may sound like an NT (neurotypical) here, but sorry, I'm not familiar with engine venacular, can you explain what you mean by 'low emissions crap'? Especially the 'crap' part.

Were the emissions specs. revised after they were mfgr'd years ago? Are we all of a sudden using Calif. Emissions Standards?
the new buses are about 7 inchs longer and after 2010 all buses built must meet 2010 epa standers engine exhaust and after the goverment mandated it if the bus didnt have it it had to be pulled off the road all buses built before 2010 are exempt. the emmisons control is what gives the new buses the clean bus saying as it doesnt belch black smoke but its real costly when problems come up.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 12:31 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

New diesel engines 2011 up I think have a system to inject extra fuel and urea into the exhaust to burn off the soot that diesel engines generate. The urea or diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) is corrosive and causes a lot of problems. Plus if the DEF system stops working or if the DEF freezes (it is water based) sensors stop the engine and the system has to be serviced.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
New diesel engines 2011 up I think have a system to inject extra fuel and urea into the exhaust to burn off the soot that diesel engines generate. The urea or diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) is corrosive and causes a lot of problems. Plus if the DEF system stops working or if the DEF freezes (it is water based) sensors stop the engine and the system has to be serviced.
yes you are correct. thats why the good old 200s 400s and 500s are still out and kicking as they maybe old but still run really well.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 1:27 PM

Quote:

At this point, by not getting out in front of the issue, Transit managed to turn this into another example of how civic departments, unaccountable to anybody, ham-handedly manage nearly everything. These buses would have been backing up for months. Dumping the news at 8:30 on Wednesday evening is just an effort to avoid scrutiny, but why in the hell is Dave Wardrop not being held accountable for not addressing this at minimum a month ago when people may have actually had the opportunity to make alternative transportation arrangements?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan