HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 8:04 PM

I think Lisa Raitt could stand a very good chance of replacing Harper, depending on her campaign. Many think Jason Kenney is unbeatable but if Conservatives and conservatives are looking for a change after Harper it could hurt Kenney's campaign. Belinda Stronach came out of virtually nowhere to pull a good number in the 2004 leadership race based on her being a progressive conservative. Raitt would likely get similar support and is better known so would be able to gain support from some in the party establishment.

Former New Brunswick Premier Bernard Lord's name has been mentioned in the past. Would definitely be seen as a fresh face who is ready to lead a party. Tony Clement is another possibility. Ran in 2004 and while he's had some issues, overall he's been a competent minister who's not void of personality.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 4:47 AM

I don't think Tony Clement would have much of a chance as he is devoid of personality and his name is very tarnished in Ontario.

I would love to see Danny Williams take a go but the Harperites and Reformers would faint. I've heard Bras Wall's name { current Premier of Sask} thrown around quite a bit but I don't know much about him or his ideological bent.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 5:28 AM

How about Dianne Watts?

If she wins south surrey-white rock, wouldn't she be a very good candidate?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I actually really like Poilievre. He's young, smart, brash, and driven; I think seeing him as leader would be really fun!
Holy Shit! I've never heard such nice words about him. I find him annoying and arrogant. If he ever leads the CPC then we know the party is doomed.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 5:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Peter McKay's departure was most definitely a strategic ploy. He will be back once the carnage is over, but he won't be the next Conservative leader. He will run for the leadership in 6-8 years time.

I'm surprised that none of you guys reacted to my suggestion that Lisa Raitt might be up for the job. I think she's been a competent and well respected minister, and I think she got some brownie points for the way she stepped up and helped get a drunken Elizabeth May off the stage at the Parliamentary Press Association Dinner.

I've remain surprised how Elizabeth May got such a free pass from the media and from other politicians given her antics that night. I'm certain that many other politicians would have been dealt with with much more scorn and derision than she was.........
Lisa Raitt is someone I would definitely support as an eventual replacement for Harper.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 5:58 AM

Possibly CPC leaders?

I would say #1 at the moment would be Bernard Lord. He's bilingual and from New Brunswick which would help the party in the Atlantic region.

I would also say that a female leader would be a wise choice but I can't think of someone who they could choose.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 5:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I don't think Tony Clement would have much of a chance as he is devoid of personality and his name is very tarnished in Ontario.

I would love to see Danny Williams take a go but the Harperites and Reformers would faint. I've heard Bras Wall's name { current Premier of Sask} thrown around quite a bit but I don't know much about him or his ideological bent.
Brad Wall is one of the most likeable politicians I have ever seen in all my years. Very well spoken, funny, intelligent, compassionate, & strong leadership qualities. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he takes a run at it down the road (although he would have to learn French), many here in Sask believe he could be Premier for decades if he wanted to. That's how popular he is.

As far as Danny Williams, I've read several times in these threads that's times are tough in Newfoundland. What does that say about him as a leader?

Last edited by Migs; Oct 18, 2015 at 7:03 AM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
Lisa Raitt is someone I would definitely support as an eventual replacement for Harper.
She is apparently quite moderate and more like a Progressive Conservative. It will be interesting to see whether or not she hangs onto her seat. Milton is probably quite unpredictable because it's growing so fast.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 6:34 AM
Majestic

The Conservatives should just jump the shark and make Tim Uppal the party leader. Think about it. It'll be fun.

Flickr

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 7:03 AM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post

There's always been a bit of ambiguity as to whether Wall speaks French or not - so it's hard to say. Of course he has also come out previously and said he has no interest in pursuing Federal politics (of course who knows if that still holds true).

He could be an interesting possibility for the Conservatives. He has maintained a strong approval rating in Saskatchewan and in particular relative to his equals in the other provinces.

My own opinion is that he has been okay - as he hasn't rocked the boat in Saskatchewan (i.e. selling Crown Corporations). Admittedly I am hardly one to align myself with conservative values or perspectives, but I am impartial enough to agree that Saskatchewan has been in a relatively good position since his coming into power (although, that may be a matter of appropriate timing of Saskatchewan's natural resources being in demand - something which Wall has suggested himself). Like anyone in a position of power he has made some positives steps, as well as miscalculations. Policies aside, I think he is a likeable and well spoken individual.

In anycase, his name has been mentioned, so if Harper's days are numbered - I suspect we will hear more of Wall...and whether or not he can speak French!

Last edited by CCF; Oct 18, 2015 at 7:59 AM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
How about Dianne Watts?

If she wins south surrey-white rock, wouldn't she be a very good candidate?
That would be an uphill struggle. She has zero national profile.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
As far as Danny Williams, I've read several times in these threads that's times are tough in Newfoundland. What does that say about him as a leader?
To be fair, the economic issues we face now can be blamed on the slumping oil prices. Whether or not you say that's a problem caused by the government (not pushing economic diversification) is a personal opinion. He is 5 years removed from this mess though, so it'd be hard to blame everything on him.

With that said, there are plenty of other reasons why Danny Williams wouldn't be the Harper successor. It's a pipe dream for me to see him in that position, but I know the reason I like him probably doesn't resonate with the rest of the Conservative base.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 2:29 PM

The CPC needs a leader from the PC side of the party, my concern is that the voting base of the party is still dominated by the old Reform party folks from the 90's. Another Reformer like Kenny will lose election after election, Harper only won because he benefited from some of the weakest and lamest leaders in Liberal history, a Paul Martin damaged beyond repair from the Chretien sponsorship scandal, Stephane Dion a dork who could not connect with any voters and Iggy who epitomized the university professor ivory tower elitism that turned off so many voters. People like Justin, he has charisma is likeable and connects with people and his values are more in line with that of most Canadians. This could be a long wilderness era for the Tories if they cling to the Harper doctrine and Reform party mantra.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
Former New Brunswick Premier Bernard Lord's name has been mentioned in the past. Would definitely be seen as a fresh face who is ready to lead a party.
I like this one, maybe the Liberals can finally convince McKenna to run and Lord can succeed him again

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 2:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
I like this one, maybe the Liberals can finally convince McKenna to run and Lord can succeed him again
McKenna's best before date is definitely up, and I think he is far too comfortable in his current gig as vice-chair of TD Bank to get down and dirty in politics. He has been pretty adamant in stating he is not interested in the federal Liberal leadership on multiple occasions.

Bernie Lord likewise has become quite comfortable in the private sector and is currently the chair of Ontario Power Generation. AFAIK, he is currently not significantly active in the Conservative Party (that might change however with Harper gone - we'll see). In any event, he will not be a candidate this time around.

So, nope - no New Brunswickers as PM for the foreseeable future.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I actually really like Poilievre. He's young, smart, brash, and driven; I think seeing him as leader would be really fun!

Are you serious?

Thankfully he has zero chance of becoming leader right now.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 4:01 PM
Closed account

He has a nerdy appeal on the surface that quickly disappears once he opens his mouth.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
The CPC needs a leader from the PC side of the party, my concern is that the voting base of the party is still dominated by the old Reform party folks from the 90's. Another Reformer like Kenny will lose election after election, Harper only won because he benefited from some of the weakest and lamest leaders in Liberal history, a Paul Martin damaged beyond repair from the Chretien sponsorship scandal, Stephane Dion a dork who could not connect with any voters and Iggy who epitomized the university professor ivory tower elitism that turned off so many voters. People like Justin, he has charisma is likeable and connects with people and his values are more in line with that of most Canadians. This could be a long wilderness era for the Tories if they cling to the Harper doctrine and Reform party mantra.
A good candidate would be able to expand the membership of the CPC to counteract that Reform/Alliance block of support, while also winning some of them over. Whether that person exists is an unknown right now.

I think Kenney would have been in a better position had Harper left last year, now many in the party are looking for a change from the status quo of Harper. However, Kenney could have probably beaten Trudeau in this campaign.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 6:36 PM

They need someone who can reach to the more PC voters without alienating the Reform base. If the Reform Party revives, the Liberals are in government indefinitely.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 6:44 PM

Where is Brad Wall on social issues. The party has got to become more socially liberal if it is ever to gain support from progressive Ontario and Quebec. If he is seen as another socially Conservative Westerner then his chances of getting elected are zero.

As for Dianne Watts I think she has far more pressing concerns and reaching for the leadership of the party is the last thing on her mind right now. Currently WR/SS is leaning heavily Liberal and she probably won't even survive this election.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada