HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 5:30 PM

Thanks for all the great examples guys! You all are one of the best resources for reliable and thorough information on this subject I can think of.

I'm unsure how appropriate it would be to say exactly what I'm working on at the moment, but these examples are very valuable, so thank you!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 2:10 PM

Check out travel times on the soon-to-open R line:
http://www.rtd-denver.com/r-line.shtml
58 minutes from Peoria to Lincoln. 10 minutes between the consecutive stations Aurora Metro Center and Florida.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius C View Post
Check out travel times on the soon-to-open R line:
http://www.rtd-denver.com/r-line.shtml
58 minutes from Peoria to Lincoln. 10 minutes between the consecutive stations Aurora Metro Center and Florida.
ouch I see 16 minutes from 2nd and Abeline to Florida, that is a big portion of the trip on a detour through Aurora.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 3:46 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trubador View Post
ouch I see 16 minutes from 2nd and Abeline to Florida, that is a big portion of the trip on a detour through Aurora.
Yep, a worthless detour to placate the sensitivities of the "city" to the east.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 4:37 PM

One more question - are there any examples out there of a center running configuration where the turn lanes actually weave INSIDE of the BRT lanes before the intersection? Seems like a very strange configuration, and I'm not sure why anyone would actually go through with this... but let's just say it has been brought up as a way to solve an intersection geometry problem (sometimes left turn movements will actually cross paths with each other in intersections with a small footprint, and can't be given the signal at the same time), and I'm curious if it has ever actually been done this way.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1138 View Post
Thanks for all the great examples guys! You all are one of the best resources for reliable and thorough information on this subject I can think of.

I'm unsure how appropriate it would be to say exactly what I'm working on at the moment, but these examples are very valuable, so thank you!
Sounds like, in time, you can share some fun stuff with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventwenty View Post
If you want more political discussion on the possible transit funding fight, read here:
http://coloradopolitics.com/colorado...ransportation/

Here's a summary. Read the article for specific statements.
Political speak "can" be misleading as it's often done for the benefit of specific constituencies and disguises their true intentions (to reach a compromise). The DBJ has a bit more positive take on the current state of things. Republicans hope to win at least some concession from Dems in order to participate and they may have one viable option. As reported by Ed Sealover, Jan. 23rd:
Quote:
Those potential cuts could come to the business personal property tax, he said — a tax on business equipment that is criticized by many in the private sector and that state economic-development leaders say is hurtful in their efforts to recruit companies.
Sadly the Republicans are very slow learners. They should have worked this out a few years ago. It's their districts that need transportation dollars the most. Given that the metro area has gotten CDOT upgrades even if it came with P3's and tolling, metro voters may be less enthusiastic about supporting increased taxes that benefit out-of-metro area projects (primarily).

They could solve the problem by making the hospital provider fees an enterprise fund but Nooo, ideology prevents that, supposedly.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 5:20 PM
ColoRADo

Quote:
One more question - are there any examples out there of a center running configuration where the turn lanes actually weave INSIDE of the BRT lanes before the intersection? Seems like a very strange configuration, and I'm not sure why anyone would actually go through with this... but let's just say it has been brought up as a way to solve an intersection geometry problem (sometimes left turn movements will actually cross paths with each other in intersections with a small footprint, and can't be given the signal at the same time), and I'm curious if it has ever actually been done this way.
Hmm. I'd have to see the concept to really provide thoughts. You can PM me if you'd like.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 8:04 PM

Denver Councilwoman Robin Kniech wants to put $11 million in bond money in the hands of neighborhoods
January 24, 2017 by Erica Meltzer - Denverite
Quote:
This November, Denver will ask its voters to approve somewhere between $500 and $600 million in new capital projects paid for through a general obligation bond. Councilwoman At-large Robin Kniech wants to set aside a small portion of that — perhaps $11 million — to let neighborhoods decide for themselves which projects are most important.

“It’s empowering for them to tell us what their highest priority is,” Kniech said. “Maybe safety is more important than youth infrastructure or vice versa. And there is this feeling that Denver’s growth is challenging, and it gives people more control and influence over how we meet this growth.”
Props to Robin; I think this is a VG idea.

It's similar thinking for why D-Met Transport would allocate a portion of tax proceeds directly to counties and cities. It spreads the wealth and is empowering. Creates more happy voters.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I think this may be a direct response to vocal complaints I heard at last month's public input meetings on the G.O. Bond funding priorities. There were a few vocal groups that felt disenfranchised and complained that there was no transparency in how the suggested projects are evaluated and prioritized.

The speaker stated that the priorities would be determined by a not yet chosen committee with representatives from major departments and a few others ( I think including citizen advisors.) The crowd then wanted to know what the base criteria was for projects to be considered for prioritization and were told that it has not been set yet and the committee would determine that to; which was met with loud grumbles.

Then one man asks how anyone knows if their priorities were even considered or why they were rejected or devalued. The speaker assured them that everything would be transparent and presented in detail on the website. When pressed further he assured them that all ideas received at all public outreach meetings would be visible on the website and the committee members and weighting criteria would be published as soon as they were determined. He also said there would be more public meetings at that point before anything is taken off the table and the vocal few in the crowd eventually settled down.

The proposal to set aside a small amount to be divvied up for ultra-local priorities might give counsel members some cover when the bulk of the funding ends up going to major infrastructure and other less neighborhood-centric projects.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 9:28 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
are there any examples out there of a center running configuration where the turn lanes actually weave INSIDE of the BRT
I can't think of any recent examples of BRT that have anything like that.

I can point you to San Francisco, where some of their Muni Metro lines do that. But these are vintage trolley lines that switch back and forth between mixed traffic and transitway, that don't have to deal with US engineering guidelines. I don't know if you could get away with this on new construction, and they're probably not going to convince anyone that it's a workable plan.

google street view

google street view

google street view

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 9:28 PM

Interzen... Oh goodie and very interesting. I'll enjoy reading the comments when posted . BTW, I always love 1st hand reporting.
Were the activists random people/different groups or were they mostly from the Denver Moves crowd?

Normally, Bond Issues are motivated partially by larger projects/visions. I'd assume the 16th Street Mall would be a priority if they know what they want to do. Also the Colfax Corridor Connections BRT project I'd also assume would be a priority.

Denver Parks and Rec is always popular with voters and is a good way to spread the wealth throughout the neighborhoods.

I am also aware of pre-screened Tier 1 projects from the Elevate 2020 CIP. I'd guess there may be a few things like building rehabilitation and needed road construction and bridge rehabilitation that may be considered necessary even if not sexy or popular.

Aside from all that, Transportation projects should make up a big portion but what specific projects will get funded and not is anybody's guess at this point. Should be fun to follow the action.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 9:43 PM

Image courtesy: Real Estate of the Summit

What's up with Bustang?
SnowStang is what's up

CDOT Offers New Ride For Skiers, Boarders
January 24, 2017 By Raetta Holdman - CBS4 Denv er
Quote:
The Colorado Department of Transportation wants to ease congestion on Interstate 70 for at least two Saturdays next month. The agency will put SnowStang on the I-70 corridor, a new part of the Bustang regional bus service.
Details please
Quote:
On February 11 and 24, CDOT will run buses to six ski resorts with round-trip prices starting at $45.

“Providing transportation solutions along the state’s most travelled corridors remains a department priority,” said CDOT Executive Director Shailen Bhatt in a news release

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Were the activists random people/different groups or were they mostly from the Denver Moves crowd?
The exchange I referred to was at the Bruce Randolph School meeting. My take was that the vocal and testy ones were individuals and small groups from the immediately surrounding neighborhoods. I figure they had projects passed over last round 10 years ago and don't want to be passed over again and wait 10 more years. There could have been some park hill anti-drainage project NIMBY types too but mostly citizens wanting to ensure their pet project was given attention.

Here is a link to the G.O. Bond Page

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 1:41 AM

Quote:

Image courtesy: Real Estate of the Summit

What's up with Bustang?
SnowStang is what's up

CDOT Offers New Ride For Skiers, Boarders
January 24, 2017 By Raetta Holdman - CBS4 Denv er

Details please
It just blows my mind that this is only now being proposed, seems like a no brainer to me.
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 3:45 AM

I just kind of assumed that it did exist! I'm not a winter sports person, so I really wouldn't know if it did or didn't.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 5:24 PM

Thanks again everyone. I think I have a clearer idea about this now, though I agree that it might have a hard time getting buy-in. At this point, it sounds like there may be some resistance to the traditional configuration due to a variety of concerns - signal timing, intersection geometry, among other things.

I was able to pin down the one modern example of this that serves as a precedent, though it is actually in Sweden.

My personal thought is that American driver culture isn't nearly law-abiding enough for this to work, and cars would probably end up in all kinds of unexpected places in the "Bus Only" lane. It reminds me a bit of the double-white stripes separating the express lanes from the regular lanes on US36, and anyone who drives on there can see how well people respect that rule. Northern Europeans have a sort of natural respect for rules and order, whereas I get the sense that Americans believe these rules are meant to be broken. If they didn't want people entering and exiting the lanes in-between the intended merge sections, they should have built a wall. The fact that there are signs everywhere saying "do not cross solid white stripes" should indicate that the design was broken from the beginning (on a side note, I certainly hope CDOT doesn't have the hubris to try this ridiculous design again on the new I-70).

As I said before, this is still in a blue-sky discussion phase, so it wouldn't be appropriate of me to name names while nothing concrete has been advocated for yet. I'd be happy to keep everyone posted once there are some concrete alternatives on the table that have been made public.

Last edited by mr1138; Jan 25, 2017 at 6:51 PM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 6:31 AM

Quote:
If they didn't want people entering and exiting the lanes in-between the intended merge sections, they should have built a wall.
Sound the trump-ets and send a memo to Trump. If he can't do it, nobody can.

Speaking of Trump, hold onto your hats; he's got the Colorado Republican lawmakers drooling all over themselves.

Trump’s Executive Order Could Help Fix Colorado Roads Faster, For Less
January 25, 2017 - DENVER (CBS4)
Quote:
There’s a money grab for transportation funds in Colorado’s young legislative session.

What the order does is fast track certain major infrastructure projects by streamlining the environmental review process. A half dozen House Republicans sent a letter to Gov. John Hickenlooper on Wednesday urging him to take advantage of it for projects like the Interstate 25 south corridor and the I-70 expansion.

House Republicans reminded Hickenlooper that he told them to “examine all options” for transportation funding in his State of the State address. They say an expedited review could be one option and would save Colorado potentially millions of dollars.
The Trump view:
Quote:
The executive order allows a governor to request that a project be designated as a “national priority,” which would trigger the expedited review with specific deadlines.

Trump says the current approval process routinely involves excessive delays.
From what it sounds like all states were invited to submit 2/3 projects for consideration and that CDOT submitted the two projects mentioned. The expedited process doesn't bother me so I say go for it. I doubt that Hickenlooper would have any objections.

There are potential problems. Who knows when Congress will pass such a Bill and who knows if either of these projects would be picked? I can see the Republicans using this as a reason to kick the can down the road on any tax increases. But they have been good at shooting themselves in the foot for years so... who cares what they do?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 2:11 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
If they didn't want people entering and exiting the lanes in-between the intended merge sections, they should have built a wall. The fact that there are signs everywhere saying "do not cross solid white stripes" should indicate that the design was broken from the beginning (on a side note, I certainly hope CDOT doesn't have the hubris to try this ridiculous design again on the new I-70).

As I said before, this is still in a blue-sky discussion phase, so it wouldn't be appropriate of me to name names while nothing concrete has been advocated for yet. I'd be happy to keep everyone posted once there are some concrete alternatives on the table that have been made public.
There have been many, many discussions on this, and the decision not to barrier separate managed lanes was a conscious one. (You can imagine, when you're doing toll-backed financing, the lenders and investors really like the idea of barriers as you describe.) The main reasons are that it greatly complicates maintenance functions - you basically end up needing to run double the crews for snow removal, since you've created two separate roads. Also, the road gets wider, since for safety you need full shoulders both inside and outside of the barriers. Nobody likes either option. Folks have been looking at other options - using delineators (reflectors), but the snow plows kill them. The new yellow paint up on the mountain express lane seems to be working better. Folks are working with the State Patrol to make enforcement easier and more effective. Long term, where I want enforcement to go, is that we'll be able to photograph you crossing the white line, and you'll get a big fat $250 ticket in the mail for toll dodging. That is not so far off at this juncture.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
There have been many, many discussions on this, and the decision not to barrier separate managed lanes was a conscious one. (You can imagine, when you're doing toll-backed financing, the lenders and investors really like the idea of barriers as you describe.) The main reasons are that it greatly complicates maintenance functions - you basically end up needing to run double the crews for snow removal, since you've created two separate roads. Also, the road gets wider, since for safety you need full shoulders both inside and outside of the barriers. Nobody likes either option. Folks have been looking at other options - using delineators (reflectors), but the snow plows kill them. The new yellow paint up on the mountain express lane seems to be working better. Folks are working with the State Patrol to make enforcement easier and more effective. Long term, where I want enforcement to go, is that we'll be able to photograph you crossing the white line, and you'll get a big fat $250 ticket in the mail for toll dodging. That is not so far off at this juncture.
I love the idea of better camera enforcement, more cameras perhaps! One day I saw a guy literally exit the lane and immediately enter it again every time there was a camera (and the cameras are extremely easy to identify, once you know where they are). All those factors make sense, and I get it. Especially considering that the entire design seemed to be about cutting costs - if they were willing to commit to the extra ROW and maintenance, it might have actually ended up being BRT rather than just an enhanced bus service that's allowed to use the express lanes and shoulders. Still, it says something about American driving behavior, and seems to be both dangerous and an impediment to the way the lane is supposed to work. It doesn't help that there are NEVER police officers enforcing the rules. If you see them at all, all they're doing is pointing a radar gun at the cars and couldn't possibly be focusing primarily on improper lane usage, big shocker there.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 6:51 PM

All 119 US bikeshare systems, ranked by size
January 26th, 2017 - Beyond DC

Image courtesy: Beyond DC
Pretty nifty.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West