HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
I am not totally opposed to skyscrapers in Ottawa but Ottawa's situation is unique.

Not long ago, I read that even Montreal has height restrictions, that no building can be taller than Mont Royal.

Ottawa has a special feature, Parliament Hill. It is by far our most spectacular set of buildings.

Yet, we are keen on building modern towers near by. Why? First on Hull Island and now Lebreton Flats. How does this improve the appearance of our city? This is a major selling point. All we do by putting these structures up is to attract our eye away from Parliament. How will these buildings look in 30 or 50 years. Is this what we really want to do?

I visited Wroclaw Poland in 2015. It is a beautiful human scaled city except they put up one skyscraper, that isn't really downtown. Have a look. It is so out of place in this city and draws your eye from many miles away. It really isn't an improvement for that city. It looks totally out of place.

I have said it before. If we want towers, place them well away from downtown. With LRT, this becomes possible.

We have a special situation in our downtown. Why can we not have top quality human scaled development that does not overwhelm the skyline with second rate architecture?
I think some of us are forgetting that this 55-storey proposal is JUST ONE of several that could be built on LeBreton. It doesn't have to be the only tall building around, jutting out like a sore thumb for everyone to see from miles around...

Keep in mind that Rendez-Vous LeBreton may propose some buildings of similar height. The Trinity Station proposal just to the southwest is looking at 59 and 55-storey towers. These are all within the same area, and would contribute to a clustering of 55+ storey buildings.

So, imho, arguments that this building is too tall on the basis that it would be the only one around just don't stand...

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcologist View Post
I think some of us are forgetting that this 55-storey proposal is JUST ONE of several that could be built on LeBreton. It doesn't have to be the only tall building around, jutting out like a sore thumb for everyone to see from miles around...

Keep in mind that Rendez-Vous LeBreton may propose some buildings of similar height. The Trinity Station proposal just to the southwest is looking at 59 and 55-storey towers. These are all within the same area, and would contribute to a clustering of 55+ storey buildings.

So, imho, arguments that this building is too tall on the basis that it would be the only one around just don't stand...
How is Ottawa's condo market going to support all of this? It won't. It just points to the probability that Lebreton will remain a construction zone and mess for decades to come. It all seems that the developers want to be 'the one' and 'the first' because the chances of being later and having a successful project drop considerably.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 5:17 PM

Would apartments be more viable?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFX-ME View Post
Good question. How much pent up demand is there for rentals?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 6:51 PM

I believe affordable apartment housing and seniors units are a large component...

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFX-ME View Post
This project includes lots of senior housing, apparently. Given the demographic surge of seniors coming in the next little while there is going to be huge demand for senior housing in the 2020s. Most who relocate to seniors housing do so when they're in their mid-70s, which for the baby boomers will be between 2020 and 2040.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 4:49 PM

Parliament sightline rules could prevent taller Ottawa towers

Published on January 26, 2017

A proposed towering condominium in Lebreton Flats encountered some pushback this month, thanks to a decades-old rule restricting buildings from blocking views of Parliament Hill.

By Dylan C. Robertson

Earlier this month, the city’s Urban Design Review Panel deemed the 55-storey proposal too high, citing a 20-year-old policy protecting the “symbolic primacy” of Ottawa’s “national symbols.”

Crafted through the 1990s, the policy eventually settled on 21 points around Ottawa and Gatineau from which people must be able to see Parliament’s silhouette. The rule includes the Supreme Court and National Art Gallery, depending on viewpoint.

Two points in Beechwood Cemetery were added in 2008.

Robert Allsopp, a partner with Toronto architecture firm DTAH, helped the National Capital Commission pick the original 21 spots, but now says Ottawa should revisit them.

“The city, and the NCC, have got to reconsider the height controls that have been in place for 20 years now, and were really built on the height controls that were another 20 years before that.”

Allsopp said the guidelines responded to officer towers like Place Bell and Place de Ville, as residential towers were mostly limited to low- and mid-rise apartments. The city now faces growing housing needs, and restrictions on building close to its core.

But developers now fixate on tall buildings, Allsopp says, because they maximize profits and respond to housing demand, despite families preferring to live closer to the ground.

“Currently the development industry’s thinking is that tall buildings are the only way to grow,” he said. That leaves Ottawa at risk of following Toronto, where city officials are playing catch-up to a downtown “overwhelmed with development.”

But Allsopp says Ottawa has neighbourhoods with a good mix of mid- and high-rise apartments, like the area east of the Rideau Centre.

Barry Padolsky, the architect behind multiple projects like the Museum of Nature and the Bank Street bridge restoration, says that’s a result of Ottawa’s gradual approach to development.

He notes that the city’s current official plan targets developing a “necklace” of LRTstops circling downtown, instead of urban sprawl outside the Greenbelt.

“The basic principle of handling future growth is to build in, and not out,” he said, especially along existing main streets and public transit. “It’s broad, but it’s a direction that is quite valid.”

Most of the recent intensification follows that model, Padolsky said, like east of the Rideau Centre, as well as Centretown’s Tribeca East condos and the looming condominium north of Dow’s Lake.

Padolsky noted that the “symbolic primacy” rule had developers redesign the Zibi project adjacent to the Chaudière Falls, because its shape would distract from Parliament Hill — though not its height. The proposed Château Laurier expansion also faces similar questions.

To Padolsky , that means the city has a piecemeal, but effective, approach to balancing its “postcard view” with intensification.

“How do you reconcile the different objectives that we have, and come up with something that brings them together,” Padolsky asked. “The city sort of muddles along, but it does have its heart in the right place.”

In any case, Allsopp says building in Ottawa requires national input. “There’s always been a tension between the municipal interest and the national interest,” he admits, noting a 442-page book detailing that very tension was published in 2015: Town and Crown by David L.A. Gordon.

“I think this is a broad public issue, that needs to be debated publicly,” Allsop said. “Most people are abstracted from this question. It usually comes up when very tall buildings are put up in a local area, and people feel threatened.”

This article originally appeared in Metro News.

http://www.obj.ca/Real-Estate/Reside...ttawa-towers/1

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 6:07 PM

Protected views are a pretty common thing in cities around the world so I don't see the big deal. But then again claridge is probably going to purchase Ottawa-Vanier, so that may help their cause.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 6:42 PM

Told you, no way in hell we would get something this nice downtown.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 7:03 PM
BANNED

Based on our "skyline" of bland, awful stubbies, I'd say the current height restriction isn't all it's cracked up to be. Maybe the people who are responsible for the current blight should step aside and let some new blood start calling the shots

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 8:41 PM

I'd be interested to find out which ''viewcone'' is impeded because of this proposal? They are pretty far from Parliament and Lebreton is down the hill, so 55 stories in Lebreton does not equal 55 stories in Centretown.

Wouldn't these more or less seem like the same height as PDV tower C viewed from Parliament?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
I'd be interested to find out which ''viewcone'' is impeded because of this proposal? They are pretty far from Parliament and Lebreton is down the hill, so 55 stories in Lebreton does not equal 55 stories in Centretown.

Wouldn't these more or less seem like the same height as PDV tower C viewed from Parliament?
I think Tower C is grandfathered (i.e. it is over the maximum height for the area).

NCC has a super-complicated 143 page document on the subject.

http://www.ncc-ccn.gc.ca/sites/defau...ction-2007.pdf

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doanld Turmp View Post
Based on our "skyline" of bland, awful stubbies, I'd say the current height restriction isn't all it's cracked up to be. Maybe the people who are responsible for the current blight should step aside and let some new blood start calling the shots
Are buildings bland and awful because they're short or because of other factors at play? Taller buildings are pretty bland and awful too (particularly the claridge ones)

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Are buildings bland and awful because they're short or because of other factors at play? Taller buildings are pretty bland and awful too (particularly the claridge ones)
And an awful tall building can never be hidden.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2017, 2:04 AM

I think the location is right, the design is a little interesting but worrying for such a tall tower in such a location, but the builder is scary. After the Andaz farce I think Claridge should be sued for false advertising.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sestafanos View Post
I think the location is right, the design is a little interesting but worrying for such a tall tower in such a location, but the builder is scary. After the Andaz farce I think Claridge should be sued for false advertising.
by whom?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhall View Post
by whom?
Class action. Everyone who has to look at it gets a pay-out.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 5:35 PM

I support the high limits and generally think that the 2007 NCC report is the definitive answer for most part. I'm not a huge fan of some the the Zibi developement as it will forever alter negatively one of my fav. vistas of Ottawa.

This location allows height, but if a 55 fl tower gets capped at 35, I don't really care. Other nodes allow for limitless heights basically and new skylines.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 5:46 PM

Last edited by 11a2b3; Feb 7, 2017 at 2:33 AM. Reason: -

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 1:39 AM

Look like they're serious with the tallest one design.
http://skyrisecities.com/news/2017/0...lebreton-flats

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa