HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 29, 2009, 1:51 AM
Meh

City council picks Smith Contracting Co. for Second Street construction

Sidewalk construction.

Quote:
Monday, December 21, 2009
City council picks Smith Contracting Co. for Second Street construction
Austin Business Journal

Austin City Council members last week awarded a $3.1 million contract to rejuvenate Second Street retail and pedestrian activity.

http://austin.bizjournals.com/austin...l?surround=lfn

Old Posted Dec 29, 2009, 2:03 AM
Closed account

So it appears that 2nd between Colorado and Congress, and Colorado between Cesar Chavez and 3rd will get the Great Streets treatment. I hear the next phase will do the same on 2nd all the way to the convention center.

The Brazos reconstruction project is also underway, and the Cesar Chavez reconstruction didn't finish all that long ago. This city is serious about investing in downtown. It's really nice to see.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2009, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottolini View Post
So it appears that 2nd between Colorado and Congress, and Colorado between Cesar Chavez and 3rd will get the Great Streets treatment. I hear the next phase will do the same on 2nd all the way to the convention center.

The Brazos reconstruction project is also underway, and the Cesar Chavez reconstruction didn't finish all that long ago. This city is serious about investing in downtown. It's really nice to see.
amazing that it is 3.1M for just a few blocks. I always sort of assumed a project the size of the Austonian would be responsible for putting in the initial sidewalk.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2009, 2:14 AM
Closed account

The initial sidewalk is already there. The Austonian is already making a private $200 million investment in the area. It adds a huge amount to the tax base, created thousands of jobs, and contributes to the city's vision for downtown. I don't see what the big deal is with the city making a public $3 million dollar investment in the area. Also, three million dollars doesn't seem like a lot for a total overhaul of four blocks of downtown streetscape to me.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2009, 6:24 AM

Quote:
The initial sidewalk is already there. The Austonian is already making a private $200 million investment in the area. It adds a huge amount to the tax base, created thousands of jobs, and contributes to the city's vision for downtown.
Since the project destroys the existing sidewalk, it seems they would rebuild it, that's all. All the fees, and everything they pay to the city to create the project would go to fund the sidewalk. Maybe that happened, and now they are using the funds for the lowest bidder. Has nothing to do with the investment they make, its an awesome project and it is very cool that they actually are finishing it in this economy.

Quote:
I don't see what the big deal is with the city making a public $3 million dollar investment in the area. Also, three million dollars doesn't seem like a lot for a total overhaul of four blocks of downtown streetscape to me.
Did not say it was a big deal, said it is amazing that it is 3.1M for a sidewalk, i.e. it is not closer to 900K. You can build quite a bit for 3.1M. Doesn't read like 4 blocks, reads much less than that.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2009, 7:40 AM
Closed account

It reads like 4 blocks.

2nd St. from Colorado to Congress Ave. is 1 block. Colorado St. from Cesar Chavez St. to 3rd St. is 3 blocks. 1+3=4!

It's also not just building, or expanding sidewalks. It is an entire redo of the streetscape. The road will be different. The sidewalks will be different. There will be trees planted. Benches and trashcans will be installed. Lighting, and traffic signals will be changed. Think what 2nd St. is like between San Antonio St. and Colorado St. currently. You know, around city hall, Amli buildings, and Silicon Labs. That's what will be done on these four blocks, and no $3 million is not a lot of money for a project like this.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2009, 12:18 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
It reads like 4 blocks.

2nd St. from Colorado to Congress Ave. is 1 block. Colorado St. from Cesar Chavez St. to 3rd St. is 3 blocks. 1+3=4!

It's also not just building, or expanding sidewalks. It is an entire redo of the streetscape. The road will be different. The sidewalks will be different. There will be trees planted. Benches and trashcans will be installed. Lighting, and traffic signals will be changed. Think what 2nd St. is like between San Antonio St. and Colorado St. currently. You know, around city hall, Amli buildings, and Silicon Labs. That's what will be done on these four blocks, and no $3 million is not a lot of money for a project like this.
Agreed.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2009, 6:38 PM
Meh

After wandering around 2nd Street and environs, 3rd Street and up seems not so friendly and inviting. The Warehouse District is another area where the sidewalks are hard to navigate. There's steep narrow stairs and high narrow sidewalks.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2009, 7:30 PM
Closed account

Well, the city eventually plans on redoing all downtown streets with the Great Streets treatment. Obviously this will take time, and likely future bond propositions being passed by voters.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Well, the city eventually plans on redoing all downtown streets with the Great Streets treatment. Obviously this will take time, and likely future bond propositions being passed by voters.
Yes it will take a while, especially at 1.03 M per 1/4 of a block, or 4.13M per city block. I wish we had the bucks to do the whole thing now. I guess we need an Olympic bid for that.

I think our definitions of a block differ, to be more accurate we should talk in linear feet.

Colorado to Congress - 1 section of 1 block - about 450 x 2 = 900 linear ft
CC to 3rd - 1 section (ea) of 2 blocks - about 450 x 2 x 2 = 1800 linear ft

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 12:37 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
Yes it will take a while, especially at 1.03 M per 1/4 of a block, or 4.13M per city block. I wish we had the bucks to do the whole thing now. I guess we need an Olympic bid for that.

I think our definitions of a block differ, to be more accurate we should talk in linear feet.

Colorado to Congress - 1 section of 1 block - about 450 x 2 = 900 linear ft
CC to 3rd - 1 section (ea) of 2 blocks - about 450 x 2 x 2 = 1800 linear ft
Our definitions are different. I did make a mistake by saying 4 blocks, when it's actually only three, though (Cesar Chavez to 3rd is only two blocks). However, it seems to me that a block when discussing a street reconstruction project is both sides of a street, between intersecting streets. So in my eyes it is three blocks, or ~$1 million per block, which seems reasonable for a total renovation. Obviously not as reasonable as when I thought it was four blocks for the same money, though...

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Our definitions are different. I did make a mistake by saying 4 blocks, when it's actually only three, though (Cesar Chavez to 3rd is only two blocks). However, it seems to me that a block when discussing a street reconstruction project is both sides of a street, between intersecting streets. So in my eyes it is three blocks, or ~$1 million per block, which seems reasonable for a total renovation. Obviously not as reasonable as when I thought it was four blocks for the same money, though...
I still think it seems high, probably because I no nothing about it, nor know what they are doing, but here are some typical costs in FL for a mile of road. For the DT sidewalk project we're talking about it is a grand total of maybe 1/4 of a mile for 3.1M

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:...ient=firefox-a

Old Posted Dec 31, 2009, 6:12 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
probably because I no nothing about it, nor know what they are doing. For the DT sidewalk project we're talking about it is a grand total of maybe 1/4 of a mile for 3.1M
This isn't just a "DT sidewalk project".

Second Street District Streetscape Improvement Project (Phase II)

Scope of the Project

The Second Street District Streetscape Improvement Project includes the complete reconstruction of Second Street and Colorado Street. Work includes reconstruction and minor grade adjustments of the pavement, addressing ADA issues, new sidewalks and parking, resolution of drainage and stormwater issues, utilities realignment where necessary, landscaping, Art in Public Places, lighting, signage, benches, bikes racks and associated amenities. The overall result will bring Second Street into alignment with the City of Austin’s Great Streets Program.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/publicworks/secondstreet.htm

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
After wandering around 2nd Street and environs, 3rd Street and up seems not so friendly and inviting. The Warehouse District is another area where the sidewalks are hard to navigate. There's steep narrow stairs and high narrow sidewalks.
Ahh yes... the Staircase Of Doom, and the Staircase Of Death

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 6:39 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown_Austin View Post
Is this project now complete?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Is this project now complete?
it's complete at the northeast corner of 4th & colorado

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin